IGNORED

David Bowie

Haribokart

'Love You Till Tuesday' (from the above album) always raises a smile "Well, I might stretch it till Wednesday"

As for the Berlin trilogy being inaccessible or whatever, bollocks they are. If you're a fan of pop music who hasn't had their ears closed for the last 40 years then they're as accessible as any other pop music.

As such 'Low' is the perfect place to start. It's not just Bowie's best album by a mile, it's one the best albums ever made.

[quote name='mrpranny' timestamp='1281970970' post='7312344']
I never really got in to the tin machine sound but I have heard some good tracks off those just never bought any. -recommendations very welcome:)
[/quote]
The first Tin Machine album is a guilty pleasure of mine. I didn't really know much Bowie beforehand so that's possibly why I never got all the hate they attracted.

Favourite tracks are 'Heaven's in Here' - ace guitar noodling from Reeves Gabrels - and 'Crack City'.

Check 'em on Spotify. Live versions only on YouTube.

[quote name='Stanley' timestamp='1282231292' post='7320178']
As for the Berlin trilogy being inaccessible or whatever, bollocks they are. If you're a fan of pop music who hasn't had their ears for the last 40 years then they're as accessible as any other pop music.

As such 'Low' is the perfect place to start. It's not just Bowie's best album by a mile, it's one the best albums ever made.
[/quote]
Low and Heroes tail off halfway through into instrumental/experimental/ambient stuff. The first half of each is pop, but the rest isn't particularly accessible at all, at least in my opinion. Even after several listens, I still have to be in a certain mood, otherwise i'll skip.

[quote name='Number 28' timestamp='1282232324' post='7320232']
Low and Heroes tail off halfway through into instrumental/experimental/ambient stuff. The first half of each is pop, but the rest isn't particularly accessible at all, at least in my opinion. Even after several listens, I still have to be in a certain mood, otherwise i'll skip.
[/quote]
It's instrumental but no more "experimental" than the rest of Low. I have to be in the right mood for any music I play. That's the thing with music, what you love one day can put you right off the next.

[quote name='deKay' timestamp='1282308727' post='7322197']
I've said it many times before - I'd love it if David Bowie was my dad. And Tom Jones my uncle.
[/quote]

I had a dream once where David Bowie was my uncle. We went to a music festival and agreed that most of the stuff was rubbish. Then we went to my grans house and watched telly and drank tea.

When I woke up, I was really properly sad for the rest of the day because David Bowie wasn't my uncle. :(

He is The Sandman

[i]Just look through your window, look who sits outside
Little me is waiting, standing through the night
When you'll walk through your door I'll wave my flag and shout[/i]

[img]http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Brad/labyrinth3.jpg[/img]

There were rumours of him playing glastonbury this year (I think only started by a&j though ;) ) . I hope his next album is the soundtrack to Labyrinth 2. With all the living original cast and crew. I`d trade that for any more proper albums ever.Oh and a soundtrack for the new omikron please :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to piss on your chips, but I actually like the vast majority of his output, not just that which came out pre 1980. the laughing gnome is forgiveable, little drummer boy maybe less so, and lets not mention tin machine...

Anyway, I fear we may never get anymore output from this musical genius, but that's just a hunch.

I'll add a tick in the box for 1.Outside as well, spaceboy and the build up to it are quite dramatic.

[quote name='SuperMBo' timestamp='1285679203' post='7405858']
Anyone else get the Station to Station special edition yesterday (or go all out for the mega whatever it's called 5 CD version)? The live CDs are fantastic.
[/quote]

They are indeed. That is definitely the best version of Station To Staion I've ever heard - that guitar in the first three minutes is just completely heroic and mindblowing...

• 8 months later...

[img]http://www.bowiegoldenyears.com/mwfte/on-set/75-on-set-schapiro-rs.jpg[/img]

For no reason at all, other than it's an amazing picture of Bowie looking cool as fuck.

I have such a man-crush on Bowie, I'm not ashamed to admit that, not at all.

• 6 months later...

Hunky Dory was released [b]FORTY YEARS[/b] ago today
Even though it's a boring and predictable choice, It's still probably my fave. Sure there's the classics like Changes, Life on Mars & Queen Bitch - but it's the "overlooked" tracks like The Bewlay Brothers, Andy Warhol & Quicksand which hold it all together. It hardly ever leaves the CD player in my car (yeah yeah I'm still using CDs in my car!)

http://open.spotify.com/album/0vypdDHTQsoVmVu8OgXEly