IGNORED

Recommend me a good sci-fi movie...

davejm

Solaris? Sadly, I can't think of many really good modern 'space' movies which tackle the subject intelligently. If you're just after Sci-Fi in general there's District 9, Serenity etc. Contact is one of my favourite Sci-Fi films, unfortunately most people don't like it because it doesn't have a big blobby alien at the end.

If you go older there are the obvious classics - Alien, 2001, Blade Runner, Silent running etc

*cough*

The problem is, so much sci-fi is filtered through the narrow aperture of Hollywood creativity. I wish someone would make something with the scope of, for example, Iain Banks culture universe.

I'm really, really looking forward to seeing what Duncan Jones does next.

Cheers Morrius... I think I'll check out Solaris.

I loved Contact. I watched it for the first time the other day, and it was fantastic from start to finish. I must read the book. In fact, I've been trying to get hold of 'Demon Haunted World' by Carl Sagan too but haven't had any luck finding it.

I loved District 9 and Serenity too. I've actually been re-watching Firefly recently.

Cochese... yeah, Riddick is an option. I quite liked Pitch Black.

If you want to maximise your Solaris experience, I'd advise you watch the Tarkovsky original rather than the remake. As long as you don't mind very slow, thoughtful films.

Ah, I didn't realise it was a remake. I've got the 1080p encode of it sitting on my PC aswell. Is the original far superior?

'Alien', 'Silent Running' and 'Outland' have all been namechecked by Duncan Jones as being a big influence on Mooon, so it's well worth seeing them. More votes for 'Solaris', '2001' and 'Dark Star'. Maybe 'Event Horizon'.

Finally, I'll also mention 'The Andromeda Strain', which, while not being set in space, neverthless has a spacey, sci fi feel to it.

Edit: I've just remembered that I rewatched 'Silent Running' a few months ago for the first time in at least 10 years, and I was a bit disappointed.

Ah, I didn't realise it was a remake. I've got the 1080p encode of it sitting on my PC aswell. Is the original far superior?

Well, that depends on who you ask. I think it is, but it's a far more taxing watch - it's quite dry, very sparse, glacially slow, and heavy with implied ideas and feelings. And obviously it's subtitled, and ooooold.

Having said that, Soderbergh's take is far better than I feared it would be. Technically it's based on the same Stanislaw Lem novel as Tarkovsky's film rather than being a straight remake of the latter, but it does borrow lots from the Russian film and Lem called it "a remake of the Tarkovsky movie" rather than an adaptation of his book, criticising it for reducing the ideas of the novel to what's more or less a love story. Although a similar criticism could in some ways be directed at the Tarkovsky film, it does seem to deal with things from a less traditional viewpoint and describes that otherness far more convincingly. And it's, in my opinion, stunningly beautiful with that Tarkovskian sense of personal isolation and meditative reverie.

I'm a bit of a Tarkovsky whore, though. I'd recommend everything he ever made, and one of the scenes in this film is simply several minutes of a car driving through a concrete cityscape, yet is one of the saddest, most beautiful sequences of film I've ever seen. Others have described that same scene as 'boring as shit' (or words to that effect), with our very own CrispinG having, I believe, fallen asleep during it owing to the advanced ennui it engendered.

So take your pick. If you do end up giving the original a whirl and you find the opening five or ten minutes unengaging, then I'd give up on it.

Yeah, seen that.

I haven't heard of those suggestions from squirtle though. I'll check them out.

Do. Carry on Screaming is ace.

Another vote for the Andromeda Strain. Really techy sci-fi that's incredibly tense towards the end.

Also has the line, "Look at that man's buttocks!" which is always a winner in my book.

Cheers Morrius... I think I'll check out Solaris.

I loved Contact. I watched it for the first time the other day, and it was fantastic from start to finish. I must read the book. In fact, I've been trying to get hold of 'Demon Haunted World' by Carl Sagan too but haven't had any luck finding it.

I loved District 9 and Serenity too. I've actually been re-watching Firefly recently.

Cochese... yeah, Riddick is an option. I quite liked Pitch Black.

I've just finished Demon Haunted World for the second time, it's worth tracking down, I ended up paying about £15 for it on ebay.

If you want to maximise your Solaris experience, I'd advise you watch the Tarkovsky original rather than the remake. As long as you don't mind very slow, thoughtful films.

This is true. They're both good, I think. The original is obviously the greater work, but you may still enjoy the remake more, it's more accessible.

Wait, wait, wait.

Moon, Sunshine, Contact, Carry on Screaming. One of these is not like the other.

Am I missing something here, Squirtle?

It's an amusing take on the Frankenstein mythos. Sci-fi to its very heart.

I may, of course, not be being entirely serious here.

I think Silent Running still holds up, for the budget and everything...and I still find it a very crushingly sad film. To think such a heavy ecology message was being touted even back in the early 70s and we're still not doing that much better. :(

Douglas Trumbull is great.

I fancy a decent space film too. I didn't last 10 minutes with Pandorum, unfortunately, although I haven't seen Solaris either - so I'll check that one out.

There's a fairly recentish film called Cargo which I keep meaning to look at. Only above-average-ish reviews, but the trailer looked decent. It can't be any worse than Pandorum, I guess.

There's a fairly recentish film called Cargo which I keep meaning to look at. Only above-average to good reviews, but the trailer looked decent. It can't be any worse than Pandorum, I guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch Pandorum - 'From the people that brought you Event Horizon/' - but Cargo is interesting. Very influenced by the 'dirty space' look of Alien, with a familiar pair of mechanics in it.

What about Letters from a Dead Man? I think it was Dandy Sephany who posted a still from it which basically blew my mind and I managed to track it down. Post apocalyptic - a little like early Terry Gilliam. Would really like to see some more of Konstantin Lopushansky's stuff - lots of Stalker/Solaris-ey sounding ideas - but none of it appears to be available to buy.

Anyway, what else? If you likes your 70's sci-fi have you seen Phase IV? Evil ants, mysterious pillars of sand - it's very good.

It's not set in space but...

thx_1138_02.jpg

I only saw it for the first time this year. It's still fantastic. Some say the unedited version is better but I didn't mind the CGI effects in director's cut.

Also Twelve Monkeys and A Clockwork Orange are great sci-fi movies for the thinking man.

Alternatively go and watch the feature-length pilot episode of Battlestar Galactica for space-based fun that's better than most Hollywood movies.

EDIT:

And how could I forget...

l_206634_868148e2.jpg

A sci-fi film so good I would've watched it twice in a row.