rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Big Gus

A Season Of Pies

I'm not that big a follower of the beautiful game, but no-punches-pulled pie reviews? I'm in!

I can't quite tell from the picture if that's onion I can see in there, or just some form of gelatinous discharge.

I swear I have never felt more spoiled going to Premiership and Championship grounds than when I saw your picture of the 'facilities'. Christ, Gus it looks like something from a 3rd division Ukrainian club.

This sounds like a fun mission though and the best football pies usually turn up in the least likely places.

Should be a good thread, and a trip down memory lane. Although no games at Forfar for the Bridies.

Suprisingly in the Juniors some of the pies have actually been pretty good. The only good thing about playing bloody Largs, the steak pies are amazing. The team are a bunch of hammer throwers in finestest Ayrshire Junior tradition mind you.

I swear I have never felt more spoiled going to Premiership and Championship grounds than when I saw your picture of the 'facilities'. Christ, Gus it looks like something from a 3rd division Ukrainian club.

This sounds like a fun mission though and the best football pies usually turn up in the least likely places.

To be fair I'm always ultra-critical of my home grounds pies and those pictures are off the south enclosure which houses the most vociferous "die hard" fans but is the last section of the ground to be modernised. The rest of the stadium has the type of facilities you'd expect at a modern football ground. No tin sheds.

• Upvote 1

I used to do this as well when I was watching Reading in the lower leagues.

The best pies were usually from the northern teams and I remember Sunderland's Chicken Tikka pie being so good my brother and I had 2 of them.

Swansea's and Charlton's were the worst though and were barely edible.

The best pies were usually from the northern teams and I remember Sunderland's Chicken Tikka pie being so good my brother and I had 2 of them.

Some of my mackem mates are big fans of the chicken tikka (think its actually chicken balti) pie at the stadium of shite as well.

Newcastles mince pies are nice, once they cool down. Too fucking hot when you're first given them though, molten mince is no exageration.

I daresay you're annoyed about Calderwood keeping Killie up this year!

Ahah. I missed this. Yeah, the pie at Killie is amazing and I did a pie review previously in around 2002 when Dundee were in the SPL and the Killie pie won The Pie League that year. I sampled pies at 23 different grounds that season. Mental.

The best pie I've ever had was at Livingston a few years back but they changed their caterers from a local butcher to Lindleys (the clowns who run the catering that produced the pie in my OP). It's the only pie I've given a perfect 10/10. I score tougher than Edge magazine.

• Upvote 1

Great thread Gus.

When I used to go to away games more often following the mighty Shrews,dodgy food and atrocious facilities was the norm.I'll never forget the rather suspect pie I had at Oxfords old Manor Ground ..I had a dodgy stomach for the whole weekend.

Thankfully the food at Shrewsbury is top notch these days so food poisoning will have to wait for away trips.

Well it's off to Maryhill in Glasgow for me tomorrow to sample the fayre at Partick Thistle.

On previous visits their food has been pretty good so I'm expecting a more positive review this week.

• Upvote 1

As you can probably tell by the photographic evidence of a rough splatter of red substance on both pies reviewed up till now the "red sauce" as it's called up here has no bearing on what you or I might call "tommy sauce" such as HP or Heinz.. It's been watered down with vinegar so much it's got a tang more nippy than a tramps sock.

• Upvote 2

Excellent work. Be careful with the pies though Gus - I want to keep reading these reports, and your premature hospitalization or death at the hands of bacterial poisoning (or, indeed, coronary heart failure) will bring my enjoyment to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

On a plus point with those condiments, at least the salt is factory packed, and as such unlikely to result in anything more serious than increased likelyhood of stroke. Plus, if you emptied all of them, you could possibly sterilise the entire area to the extent that no plants and moss would ever grow there again.

:lol: Lovely stuff Gus. I love the look of their condiment section. Also, did you not dare to try and take that pie back? I know this is Scotland, but fucking hell.

:lol:

Brilliant stuff, Gus.

I went to the DW Stadium yesterday, but as hungry as I was, the concourse was that busy the chances of getting a pie without missing any of the game was very unlikely.

I'm at the Emirates next week, so might see what fancy-Dan pies they've got on sale.

:lol:

Brilliant stuff, Gus.

I went to the DW Stadium yesterday, but as hungry as I was, the concourse was that busy the chances of getting a pie without missing any of the game was very unlikely.

I'm at the Emirates next week, so might see what fancy-Dan pies they've got on sale.

You'll pay as much for your food as you did your ticket from what I hear.

I went to white heart lane on saturday to see Spurs Vs Man City and was disgusted to find that the 'meal deal' inside the ground was £5.20 for a pie and a bottle of coke (after £50 for a ticket!). Disgusted, I refused to pay. And City were crap. <_<

I went to white heart lane on saturday to see Spurs Vs Man City and was disgusted to find that the 'meal deal' inside the ground was £5.20 for a pie and a bottle of coke

:blink: