Goose

Beyond Skyline - Frank Grillo: Was Skyline

No time for anything other than the company line I'm afraid

Universal Pictures has debuted the trailer for Greg and Colin Strause's Skyline, hitting theaters on November 12. In the sci-fi thriller, strange lights descend on the city of Los Angeles, drawing people outside like moths to a flame where an extraterrestrial force threatens to swallow the entire human population off the face of the earth. Skyline stars Eric Balfour, Donald Faison, Scottie Thompson and Brittany Daniel.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/skyline/

post-242-030986200 1281505133_thumb.jpg

skylinephoto.jpg

Has this been mentioned before? I don't recall it and it seems fairly close to release for this to be the first news. Maybe it's something to do with the pedigree of those who brought us AVP2.

Still, that image of thousands of people being hoovered up was probably unintentionally funny.

Has this been mentioned before? I don't recall it and it seems fairly close to release for this to be the first news.

The first word I heard was during Comic-Con this year, and I was a bit surprised that it was set for a November release. It's the type of film that gets teased at Comic-Con this year and is set for a March/May release the year after - not four or so month later.

Unless word is really, really, really good and they want to bring it forward.....

Edit: Here's was Slashfilm said about the comic-con footage

A group of young adults are partying away one night in LA. Morning comes–pre-sunrise–and dozens of white lights descend across the city. Someone awakes, and sees the light. His face starts to become infected as he’s drawn toward it, and he’s sucked out the window. The rest of the group goes up to the roof to see what’s going on, and discover massive alien ships lowering onto the lights.

Then the action beats kicked into gear: tentacles launch toward the lead characters; a huge alien foot stomps down beside them; an equally huge three-finger alien hand reaches from behind a skyscraper; dozens of jets dart through a city-wide firefight with organic alien ships; a jet is eviscerated and collides atop a building on which our protagonists are perched; and finally, the bottom of an alien ship opens up and hundreds if not thousands of people are sucked inside.

We also saw a clip from the film, showing Eric Balfour and Donald Faison heading up to the roof and watching in awe as smoke and white lights consume LA. Their awe quickly turns to terror as people far off in the distance are sucked into the sky, and they rush to a door to get back inside the building. The door is locked. A ship approaches them, and Faison anxiously tries to shoot the lock. At the last moment, a girl opens the door from the inside, and the light behind them immediately begins infecting her face. They dart inside, and slam the door behind them.

I hope they hire a lighting guy this time so I can tell what the fuck is going on. Seriously, AVP2: Requiem was one of the most badly lit films I've ever seen.

I thought the trailer was pretty decent. But then I've always had a soft spot for alien invasion/abduction movies.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to admit this, but I also thought the The Fourth Kind was good as well. :unsure:

erggh. 4th Kind was dreadful. Based on real events. HAH.

The based on real events part was the only aspect I that I hated, it felt really forced and the actors doing the 'real' narration weren't at all convincing.

Overall, the movie was pretty good though. A few really tense scenes with some really interesting ideas (using a dead language was a nice touch, I thought).

:)

I thought the trailer was absolute balls.

Watching it again, the trailer does look very Sy-Fy movie of the week. :lol:

Still, I can't help but want to watch it even though I know it's going to be awful.

At times, it seemed like a trailer for one of those Sy-Fy movies in that other thread, but with more money thrown at it. Especially that bit with them thinking they were about to be rescued by that chopper.

At times, it seemed like a trailer for one of those Sy-Fi movies in that other thread, but with more money thrown at it. Especially that bit with them thinking they were about to be rescued by that chopper.

That was hilarious. "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" :lol:

Any money the pitch was "cloverfield meets independance day"

If it is like that, then it could be really fun, if formulaic and not actually proper sci-fi.

This bit from io9.com has me optimistic: http://io9.com/5595163/mysterious-alien-invasion-movie-skyline-could-be-the-next-district-9

The movie is the work of the Greg and Colin Strause, who have done amazing visual and special effects work on Avatar, Titanic, 300, X-Men 3, The Day After Tomorrow, and Terminator 3 (and they would really appreciate it if you forgot they directed Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem). The duo chose to work outside the studio system on this project, making a movie on the (relative) cheap and in record time - the movie has only taken 11 months to make. They said they've been around movies long enough to know what people do wrong and cut out all the inefficiencies that cause big budget projects to waste huge amounts of money.

It also allowed them to cast exactly who they wanted, sidestepping the often infuriating politics of casting in the studio system. The movie stars Eric Balfour (Haven), Donald Faison (Turk on Scrubs), Scottie Thompson (Trauma), Brittney Daniel (Mac's on/off love interest on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), and David Zayas (Angel Batista on Dexter). Because of the low budget, the cast noted that they didn't have their own trailers, which meant they were able to bond and talk over the movie, which helped their performances. Eric Balfour also mentioned that the Brothers Strause were able to get away with having them do stuff they could never get away with on a bigger picture, including putting the actors on some very rickety scaffolding just because there was no one to tell them no.

Skyline looks like it's got a chance to be the next awesome low-budget alien flick. The Brothers Strause said it has 800 shots in it, which is more than most blockbusters, and their use of high-end digital cameras allowed them to really maximize the amount of shooting they could do with limited time and money. They explained that they told everyone involved to just go nuts and do the sort of stuff they could never get past twenty rounds of producers, and one of the coolest things we saw was the completely organic approach to the alien ships and their marauding alien walkers.

Skyline comes out November 12, 2010, and we're definitely optimistic that it'll be worth checking out.

• Upvote 1

Do not watch this movie, it is complete and utter shite.

The effects are very impressive but almost everything else is terrible. Acting is terrible, story is terrible, set-pieces are terrible (more what you'd expect to see from a Sy-Fy B-movie.) And then there's the ending, comes out of nowhere. It honestly feels like half a movie.

Avoid, please save your money. Watch 'We Are What We Are' instead. (not that I'm telling anyone what to watch, just save your money and watch something better or at least more interesting.) :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I heard it's very funny, one of those great cinema experiences in which everyone laughs at moments that are not supposed to be funny. I have a Cineworld card so I might as well check it out.

It's definitely funny and I honestly can't remember a scene that was supposed to be serious but failed. All the scenes had a campish, B movie feel to them. The groans, 'that was shit' and 'fucking hell, is that it' comments as people started to leave were great fun. :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1