IGNORED

Boardwalk Empire

The Sarge

That's a bit shit. Sky have been pretty good with the big US stuff, with no more than a few days between US and their broadcast. Wonder what went wrong this time.

I ended up watching this months after it was broadcast as I got a bit bored at the start of series 2 and nearly gave up but glad I didn't. Can't wait for this to start.

Yeah your right Ive tied myself into typing two words into a search bar and clicking go.

Oh yeah I remember torrents.

But yeah two weeks is shit. Sky Atlantic should be showing it as soon as possible or it isnt woth them bothering

IT airs on the sunday so the latest it should be on sky is wednesday.

That was a fantastic start to the new season.

I think Manny was always going to have a short shelflife after killing Jimmys wife and her girlfriend. But it was still a shock when Harrow turned up.

I liked that we didn't get some series of flashbacks to the last year showing us what happened to the characters. There was a lot of space for us to fill in. Despite trying to go semi-straight, Nucky is now definitly full gangster. And this new Sicilian lad is going to be a handful.

The most interesting character is still Van Alden/Muller. He's trying to do the right thing and work a legit job but the World won't let him get a break.

I really enjoyed this episode, the way the old characters were woven back into new plot lines with the new cast (Van Alden, traveling salesman, potential hired goon carrying what looks like a massive exploding briefcase) that emerged since Season 2s brutal last few episodes ended, but its with a bit of regret that so much dust has settled since then and we're only seeing the few last strands play out with Harrow and jimmys boy. Alot of raw aftershock is still in those last few episodes but with this new season, it seams like the story writers needed to move on with introducing a new set of uppity thugs for us to speculate about - who are all awesome it must be said - the verbal round the table bollocking that guy was able to give all the other mob bosses was hilarious, but I would have appreciated more continuity.

I really liked Richard and jimmys sons scenes as he tries to teach him about his real mother all under the watchful and crazy gaze of his hot crazy grandmother, but what about the initial reaction to jimmys death? From his mother and his son aswell as Richard would have been excellent to see and how that in turn leads her to try and reshape her grandsons memory would have been good to see. They do put a finger on that in the closing scenes of the last episode but I wanted more of that. Its almost a completely new set of stories that have been put into motion here, but still, that ending was so satisfying. Just a few quick scenes to try and humanize manny, then pow.

Fuck Manny. Team Harrow.

pretty boring as usual. dunno why i keep watching this show. i get really confused by it, too; i have no idea who half the characters are or what their relationships to each other are. this could just be because i'm an idiot but i had no trouble following The Wire or The Sopranos or any number of other HBO ensemble dramas

I will never get the boring complaints.

I mean,

not only is it a well-written and acted show, beautifully shot and with great music to boot, it's a ballsy and unpredictable show as well. Jimmy was easily one of the most popular characters in it, but they had no trouble killing him off when it made sense for his storyline. I love the tension in it, whether it's the cooled down relationship between Nucky and Margaret, with Owen circling her like a vulture, or the obvious tension an obvious psychopath like Gyp Rosetti brings to the table. His outburst at the party when Nucky told him that he will only do business with Rothstein (another fantastic character and performance) from now on was gold and his violent introduction a great mirror of Nucky dealing with the thief, showing his darker side is really out of the bag now. They didn't completely dehumanize him though, as shown by the way he deals with Margaret's kids, probably the main reason he's still with her, or the scene in which he looks at the scar on his hand and reflects on what happened with Jimmy.

And then there is Harrow, probably the most interesting and tragic character on the show. The way he deals with Angela's loss, the one person who accepted him the way he is, trying to take care of her son and righting all that Gillian is doing wrong, is riveting stuff. Jack Huston has to act with only half his face and does a truly wonderful job with it.

Also: shotgun to the face! Manny was a great character as well, and the scenes between him and his wife before he got offed made his exit bittersweet.

There was so much goodness: Eddy Cantor's musical number, the clash between Al Capone and O'Banion, Van Alden "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better", and so on.

Great series and one I don't find all that hard to follow either, but it does demand attention, which is not a bad thing.

I will never get the boring complaints.

I mean,

not only is it a well-written and acted show, beautifully shot and with great music to boot, it's a ballsy and unpredictable show as well. Jimmy was easily one of the most popular characters in it, but they had no trouble killing him off when it made sense for his storyline. I love the tension in it, whether it's the cooled down relationship between Nucky and Margaret, with Owen circling her like a vulture, or the obvious tension an obvious psychopath like Gyp Rosetti brings to the table. His outburst at the party when Nucky told him that he will only do business with Rothstein (another fantastic character and performance) from now on was gold and his violent introduction a great mirror of Nucky dealing with the thief, showing his darker side is really out of the bag now. They didn't completely dehumanize him though, as shown by the way he deals with Margaret's kids, probably the main reason he's still with her, or the scene in which he looks at the scar on his hand and reflects on what happened with Jimmy.

And then there is Harrow, probably the most interesting and tragic character on the show. The way he deals with Angela's loss, the one person who accepted him the way he is, trying to take care of her son and righting all that Gillian is doing wrong, is riveting stuff. Jack Huston has to act with only half his face and does a truly wonderful job with it.

Also: shotgun to the face! Manny was a great character as well, and the scenes between him and his wife before he got offed made his exit bittersweet.

There was so much goodness: Eddy Cantor's musical number, the clash between Al Capone and O'Banion, Van Alden "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better", and so on.

Great series and one I don't find all that hard to follow either, but it does demand attention, which is not a bad thing.

Yep, if i had time or could write without using swear words, this is what id have written about the first ep. Brilliant start to the season. :)

it's mainly that the show lacks a strong lead character. it feels like they're trying to address that by dragging Nucky into the dirty work, but... i dunno, he's not threatening. it's nothing to do with Buscemi; it's just the character. he feels like one of the city hall characters from The Wire, and the show needs a more charismatic focus. it's full of good characters but none of them could lead the show.

Jimmy's story was interesting but as a character he was tedious and melancholy

. Richard Harrow is great because his timid nature in public is always an interesting contrast with his violent scenes, but again he only works in small doses because you can't follow for long a man who barely says a word and spends most of the day staring wistfully out of windows thinking about the war.

who the FUCK is Remiss?

Nobody?

After last week’s exciting and energetic opening last night’s episode wasn’t that interesting.

There were a lot of, what seemed like, pointless scenes; Chalky and son in law, Nucky and the guy from Office Space etc and it all seemed a little disjointed. The stuff with Gyp was great (although I don’t fully understand his plan. He needs booze so he’s going to stop all booze being smuggled?) as was the scene with Nucky and Rothstein. But otherwise it was fairly lifeless.

Thought there were some nice personal scenes and a good wee bit of character development personally.

Chalky, Nucky and Eli all trying to deal with the conflict between their personal and professional lives. Nucky in particular is interesting and might be causing himself problems by trying to fill the void with another new woman and pulling away finally from Margaret. Plus who doesn't like Gyp pulling the whole 'man walks into a saloon' act and wondering whether he's about to stove some poor garage attendant's head in?

Not sure to what extent we're spoiler-tagging but just to be safe:

I've seen nothing in the first two episodes to allay my fears that the show's lost something it'll have trouble replacing in Jimmy. Obviously he was a cunt at times but he always had some vulnerability, some humanity and I cared what happened to him, be it good or bad. I'm not sure I can say that about anyone else in the show now. The characters that aren't completely one-dimensional don't exactly breed sympathy (Nucky after his recent actions, Margaret for being generally insufferable etc. etc.) Harrow is obviously the big exception but he's had like five minutes so far so I can't see them setting him up as the main thread tying it together and I'm not sure his character would work in that role anyway, sticking to the shadows as he does. I dunno, I think I was just expecting more fundamental changes to be going on but instead it feels like it's treading water to me. I'm interested and agree there've been some good scenes and character moments but I'm finding it hard to feel very invested, I suppose.