NanoStudio (iPhone)

Eighthours

Yeah, yeah, music creation on iPhone. Never going to work. NanoStudio must be bollocks, right?

commandowrong.gif

A VIRTUAL RECORDING STUDIO FOR IPHONE

NanoStudio is a recording studio for iPhone/iPod Touch. It has virtual analogue synths, sample trigger pads, a comprehensive sequencer, a sample editor, a mixer and multiple effects all integrated into a single application.

Record your ideas in real time, mix synth layers with samples, compose and arrange your tune using the powerful sequencer and bring the mix alive with effects such as reverb, compression and EQ. Share your tune on SoundCloud from wherever you are or use the comprehensive audio mixdown options and MIDI export feature to get your ideas over to your desktop DAW when you get back home.

NanoStudio's intuitive user interface frees you to get creative yet has loads of depth for when you need it. To try it out head on over to our download page where you can download the OS X and Windows versions for free!

Eden Synth

Introducing Eden, NanoStudio's versatile synth. Eden creates analogue sounds ranging from deep basslines and fat pads all the way up to squealing 303 lines and heavily distorted leads. Each voice has 2 anti-aliased oscillators modulated in mix, ring or sync configurations fed into a low, band or high pass 2 pole resonant filter.

Eden's virtual patchbay allows you to connect 3 envelope generators and 4 beat-sync LFO's to create modulation mayhem. Real-time performance becomes a truly interactive experience with dual X/Y controllers, accelerometer input and a pitch bend wheel, all totally configurable via the patchbay. Controller movements can be recorded and edited using the sequencer

It doesn't stop there. NanoStudio allows you to use multiple synths simultaneously, each with its own insert effects such as waveshaping, chorus and delay. When you want to go beyond basic oscillators, load up a sample and process it just like a normal synth voice - great for mashing up vocals or even the whole mix.

When you're ready to get really creative, NanoStudio allows you to resample its own output and trigger the sample via the pads or keys, freeing up synths and effects to add even more sonic goodness to your composition.

TRG-16

The TRG-16 is a performance pad instrument for triggering samples. Adjust pitch, pan, volume and envelopes and assign each sample to one of its 3 output busses, each with its own effect sends and filter setup.

Sampling

Record samples with the built-in mic (iPod Touch requires external mic), resample NanoStudio's own output or upload your own samples using NanoSync for OS X/Windows. Edit your samples using the built-in wave editing tools (with multiple undo/redo) and process them offline with custom effects chains.

Sequencer

Record performances in real-time using the keys and trigger pads or create patterns and controller sweeps by drawing them in the piano roll editor. Arrange your patterns into a complete song using the track editor. You can edit while the song is playing and every operation has multiple undo/redo.

Mastering

Nanostudio's mixer has 2 global effects sends, 4 insert effects per channel and you can record, edit and playback all your fader and pan changes. When you're ready to share your mix with others you can upload it direct to SoundCloud or use NanoSync to copy the exported .wav file to your Mac/PC.

Effects

NanoStudio's reverb, compressor, parametric EQ, waveshaper, delay, chorus, and bitcrusher effects are all highly optimized so you can run lots of them.

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/index.php

I'm only a very amateur musician, but everything in this app is easy to pick up and you can achieve some awesome results. You can create samples using your iPhone's microphone or your PC. Simply noodling with the synths and a basic backing track is super-fun, and out of the 128 synth presets already there (which can be modified every which way, or you can make your own from scratch) a number of them are awesome.

I played with Korg DS-10 on the Nintendo DS a lot to piss about with making music on the move, and this is lightyears ahead of that. It really is like having a music studio in the palm of your hand.

Currently sitting on 5-star average reviews in the App Store, NanoStudio really does seem, as one reviewer put it, that it was beamed in from the future. It's that far ahead of everything similar on iPhone. Made by one man, too.

It's a bit pricey for an app (but only for an app, not for anything in the non-Apple real world) at £8.99, but it's crazy-good value.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Anyone else bought this yet? If not, why not? As Arnie would say: "DOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIT."

THE NANOSTUDIO 30 MINUTE CHALLENGE

How about it, gents?

1. Make a tune using NanoStudio in a maximum of half an hour.

2. Export it to your PC using Nanosync.

3. Upload your masterpiece to Soundcloud.

3. Post a link for us to have a listen.

4. Profit!

Yeah, yeah, music creation on iPhone. Never going to work. NanoStudio must be bollocks, right?

commandowrong.gif

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/index.php

I'm only a very amateur musician, but everything in this app is easy to pick up and you can achieve some awesome results. You can create samples using your iPhone's microphone or your PC. Simply noodling with the synths and a basic backing track is super-fun, and out of the 128 synth presets already there (which can be modified every which way, or you can make your own from scratch) a number of them are awesome.

I played with Korg DS-10 on the Nintendo DS a lot to piss about with making music on the move, and this is lightyears ahead of that. It really is like having a music studio in the palm of your hand.

Currently sitting on 5-star average reviews in the App Store, NanoStudio really does seem, as one reviewer put it, that it was beamed in from the future. It's that far ahead of everything similar on iPhone. Made by one man, too.

It's a bit pricey for an app (but only for an app, not for anything in the non-Apple real world) at £8.99, but it's crazy-good value.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Anyone else bought this yet? If not, why not? As Arnie would say: "DOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIT."

Shit gets real once they start putting this kind of thing on the iPad.

If you've never properly dabbled in music creation before, is this a good place to start or will I get hopelessly lost?

Both. :)

It's a great place to start noodling and creating basic tunes. When you want to learn a bit more about synth theory and how to modify your synths/samples/etc into specific forms, you can look at the manual where's there's a bit of a guide, and there's shitloads of info around on the Internet.

Here's a choon wot I dun: http://soundcloud.com/eighthours/noodle

I made it on the way back from Devon in the car this afternoon. A simple drum loop, then some impro noodling on the top synth recorded all in one go (which is why it's called 'Noodle'), and finally a couple of other lines added in at various points. Easy.

Only took ten minutes. It's proper crap, but I thought I should test out actually MAKING something, rather than endlessly fiddling around with the (still shite!) stuff I'm trying to do.

It's made me think of something, actually:

THE NANOSTUDIO 30 MINUTE CHALLENGE

How about it, gents?

1. Make a tune using NanoStudio in a maximum of half an hour.

2. Export it to your PC using Nanosync.

3. Upload your masterpiece to Soundcloud.

3. Post a link for us to have a listen.

4. Profit!

• 2 weeks later...

I, er, used it to make a 'jingle' for the rllmuk show the other week, although this jingle went on for about a minute and a half. So when I say 'jingle', what I really mean is 'dirge'.

I doubt I'll make any more bangin choons with it: listener reaction persuaded me to delete the track from my library, then delete the app, then smash the iPhone, then my fingers. It is a nice app, though.

I can make loops too but have trouble creating full songs. I'm just enjoying messing around with the levels and filters and making the filthiest dubstep bass I can at the moment :)

That's exactly what I have been doing too :) The synth is really good fun to mess with, and you can get some good stuff out of it. I'm still trying to work out how best to use the LFOs.

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken me a long time, but here's a couple of little tunes from me. I've had good fun messing round with this app. The only glaring omission I can see is a lack of pan control in the midi editor or mixer. You can pan the drums, but nothing else which is a bit strange (unless I've missed it).

The first one is in an 8bit chip tune stylee because I started messing around with those chip tune samples in the drum machine:

The second one is supposed to be some early 90's house. Takes a bit of time to get going.