IGNORED

Where's that Vader "nnnoooooo" pic?

Sarlaccfood

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/s0GyiO8r2WpTe3RtcOrYA_w/view.m?id=519540&tid=120787&cat=Media.

(sorry not sure how to post links proper on me iPod touch.)

Just to add to the delicious shit sandwhich; The figures at the bottom of the article regarding channel4 etc make for some pretty depressing reading too. Murdoch will just own everything media related soon won't he?

Sadface.

If they put it on their bloody movie channels like they did with the Pacific then they can shove it.

I always thought it strange that HBO didn't do something over here in the UK. Their shows all get picked up in one way or another and are quite popular I thought it strange they didn't launch their own channel. Then again not sure if people in the UK would pay extra just for one channel, that doesn't have the football on it. Or boobies.

Maybe Sky will show Entourage in a decent slot, instead of tucking it away randomly on late-night ITV4. ITV idiots.

I subscribe to Sky (bully for me, eh?), so I should have access to the stuff - and it may give me the opportunity to catch up on some of the HBO stuff I've never gotten around to watching (and which haven't been repeated on terrestrial / Freeview), which is good news. I don't, however, like the fact that this essentially locks HBOs programming away from non-subscribers, and I can't see them loading it onto Sky 3 for the Freeview audience.

That article is incorrect in stating that The Pacific was shown on Sky1 - it was broadcast on Sky Movies Premiere. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference to non-Sky viewers, but it did mean that even Sky subscribers needed to be paying the extra subscription cost for the movie channels. I wonder if they might do this again in order to drive revenue?

EDIT: Daley already got there with my point (serves me right for getting some breakfast in the middle of posting...)

Might be nice to see someone treat these shows with respect rather than hide them in the schedules because they have to show more priority to home grown stuff like DIY SOS.

Sky do tend to show series at the same time as their US airing (or pretty close to them), which is nice. Although, to be fair, the terrestrial channels are getting better in this regard. Obviously, this means we get the same annoying mid-season breaks that the Americans have to suffer.

They do however, on occasion, drop shows regardless of quality if they're not performing in the ratings. Rescue Me is a good example of a great show that disappeared from Sky due a few years back due to underperformance in the schedules (which reminds me that I need to catch up with the box-sets).

I rarely watch British TV (because it's crap innit), but surely this is a good thing in some ways? BBC, ITV and C4 were putting shows like The Wire, Entourage and Sopranos in awful timeslots in favour of shite like Eastenders and Britain's Got Talent/Big Brother. At least Sky will have it on Anytime so they might lure a few of the unwashed away from their reality TV...

However, I understand it's a bummer for you guys who did stay up for those timeslots and, quite rightly, refuse to pay for Sky. Could you buy the DVDs (I saw the entire Deadwood for 25 quid the other day), or is it torrent o'clock?

I wonder what the situation will be in regards to the co-produced stuff like Rome and Band of Brothers (all in partnership with the BBC)?

The co-production was only for equipment loans and logistical aid iirc, and HBO have full IP ownership. That article says Sky now own the rights to Band of Brothers, anyway.

Full Sky press release

Future HBO productions to be broadcast by Sky will also include ‘Game of Thrones’, the fantasy drama based on the series of books ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ by George R.R. Martin, and ‘Luck’, executive produced by David Milch and Michael Mann and starring two time Oscar® winner Dustin Hoffman. In addition, future seasons of existing HBO shows - such as ‘Entourage’ and ‘Big Love’ - will be broadcast exclusively on Sky channels in the UK and Ireland at the conclusion of their current broadcast rights agreements.

Not sure what the current broadcast rights are for these, so it could be that the upcoming seasons of Curb and Entourage remain on More4 and ITV4 (in standard definition and, going by the last season of Curb on More4, in 4:3 :()

Sky will also offer access to HBO programmes through its on-demand platforms, including the soon-to-launch Sky Anytime+ service. In addition to availability of the new HBO productions airing exclusively on Sky channels, the on-demand services will offer access to HBO’s library of classic shows such as ‘The Sopranos’ and ‘Six Feet Under’. Sky will also have right of first negotiation with respect to all future HBO UK co-productions.

Does that mean it gets first negotiation over co-production rights, or broadcast rights?

Does that mean it gets first negotiation over co-production rights, or broadcast rights?

Co-productions. Doesn't mean much though, because like with the BBC, HBO will only be seeking equipment and logistical aid. The content will still be controlled by the powers that be at HBO. :)

I hope this means we see the entire HBO back catalogue on Sky Player/Anytime. :D

But I agree with Daley, they can shove it if they put Boardwalk Empire on one of the movie channels.

You don't have the movie channels? How delightfully common... ;)

I wonder what this means for the HBO section of OnDemand on Virgin. I presume that it will go :(, and they've just got up to Season 4 of the Wire (that doesn't particularly bother me as I've just watched season 5 on DVD but still)

Additionally I presume that it means that FX will not get the rights to season 3 of True Blood and that is broadcast in HD on Virgin whereas currently none of the Sky channels are.

At the rate they're releasing DVDs of shows these days it hardly matters. Double-dip DVD releases halfway through a season used to irk me but they're actually a great way of avoiding having to tune in without falling a whole season behind.

So Sky have £1.7 Billion a year at their disposal to produce/buy content, compared to £0.165 Billion for Five and £0.5 Billion for BBC2, yet can't manage to make anything worthwhile that's culturally relevant to the country they actually make their money in, instead having to rely on expensive imports and sports, something doesn't add up, and it's not as if Sky is some new broadcaster either...

So Sky have £1.7 Billion a year at their disposal to produce/buy content, compared to £0.165 Billion for Five and £0.5 Billion for BBC2, yet can't manage to make anything worthwhile that's culturally relevant to the country they actually make their money in, instead having to rely on expensive imports and sports, something doesn't add up, and it's not as if Sky is some new broadcaster either...

You know that Sky operate in multiple countries, ya?

It's a little bit annoying if they are indeed taken away from Virgin's On Demand service, but in all honesty- HBO have been shit for years. And even then, the Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm haven't exactly set the UK viewing figures alight, have they? I think the last series of Curb got 80,000 viewers.

And the best series can be bought on DVD for about £10 a season now.....but maybe Sky will have an HBO channel? Who knows.... who knows....

One issue with this for HBO is that shows might not get popular over here, because their initial run isn't on free TV.

Its okay for the likes of us that hunt down good new U.S shows and watch them via downloading, etc, but would something like Sex and the City be so popular in the UK if it had been shown on Sky One from the start?

You know that Sky operate in multiple countries, ya?

One would assume the Guardian was doing a like-for-like comparison when they quoted the annual content budgets for those channels, or do I have to account for Sky Italia,etc?

British Sky Broadcasting (commonly abbreviated to BSkyB, and marketed as Sky) is a British satellite broadcasting company that operates Sky Digital, a subscription television service in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

I'm sure they create a lot of Irish specific content too :)

Free market innit... There is nothing wrong with sky doing this... But, like The Pacific, they'll shove these premium shows onto Sky Movies which means you have to pay up even more to watch them. Sky One, as a channel, is an abomination