rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Josh128

Skies of Arcadia & Skies of Arcadia Legends Appreciation....

Just beat Yeligar the yellow moonstone Gigas. One thing I'd like to mention about the game is how epic and scary most of the Gigas encounters are. Unlike the "Weapons" from FF7 (likely from which the idea for the Gigas were drawn) the Gigas' bark is much worse than their bite (I dont think I ever died fighting one), but wow what a bark they have! The cinematics that take place when you first encounter them are quite the show, and lead you to believe you will have your ass handed to you quickly, but they are all fairly easy (if not a bit tedious) to beat.

For instance, Yeligars opening sequence has him literally cracking the sky open with lightning (quite scary), and he looks like something of a cross between a giant crab and a scorpion, yet despite all that his attacks are fairly mellow damage wise.

Still pluggin' away, hope to have this one finished before Spring! :coffee:

Yellow_Gigas.jpg

Couple of observations I've made of some more differences between the DC and GC versions.

1.) Graphics - I just noticed today that the GC in-battle and on-airship models of the main characters all have much higher polygon counts. Specifically:

A. The characters now have fully modeled hands and fingers in battle sequences on the GC, while on DC they have textured N64'esque "paddles" for hands. This is especially noticable on Aika and Fina.

B. Aika and Fina's -ahem- "tops" are curvy on the GC, and just pointy triangles on the DC! This is easily noticable on the bridge of the Delphinus, where you can walk up to each of them and look at their profile closely.

C. Aikas pigtails (or whatever they are) are modeled with more polygons on the GC version in battle sequences and on the ship bridge.

I'm not sure if the GC has all new models, or if the DC has two sets of models, one for cut scenes and one for battles/towns/etc, and the cut scene models are the only ones used on the GC. It seems like the cut scenes in the DC are modeled with higher poly counts than in battles. It could be that the GC simply uses the cut scene models everywhere because of its added power.

Also, as mentioned before, the GC version rarely (if ever) slows down, the DC version slows down pretty often when sailing and performing magic or super moves.

2.) Battle Load Times - when sailing in the airship and encountering a random enemy, the GC version loads quite a bit faster than the DC version, the difference is easily noticable. I'd estimate its a 50%-60% faster load time.

The above are differences apart from what we have already discussed and are pretty significant improvements for the GC version. Taking them into consideration with all the other enhancements such as less random encounters, the bounty hunts, Piastol, and extra weapons and discoveries, the GC is definitely the definitive version.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I might try and hold on soa for the time being then and play it on the gc when I get chance, or even the Wii maybe considering you can use the GC controller anyway. That would mean actually purchasing a Wii though lol

Alright, so I'm finally about to finish the game! Took out Galcian and am headed to Soltis for the final showdown. Frankly, I found the Galcian battle to be quite easy despite all the hype he got for being a complete badass the whole game through. He managed to kill a couple of my party, I was able to revive except for Fina which didnt get revived in time before I beat him, so she missed out on ~10,000 experience points.

One thing I had completely forgotten about (apart from what happened to Galcian after you beat him) was that you can switch out the 4th member of your party to any of the secondary characters (Drachma, Gilder, or Enrique) whenever you want by returning to your ship and talking to them. I dont remember that at all from the GC version, not even sure if I ever knew it was possible (but to be fair its been a long time and I have forgotten much about the game and many of its plot twists.

One thing I remember about the GC version was that many of its battles seemed much more challenging than any I have yet faced (including Galcian) in the DC version. Maybe its just that many of the bounty hunts and especially Piastol's difficulty was amped up significantly for Legends. I remember really struggling to win a couple of the encounters with Piastol and some of the bounty hunts like the imposters. They seemed to grow in strength with you so no matter how much you leveled up before you fought them they would always still give you a hell of a fight.

Cant wait to rediscover what happens in the final battles, as I have completely forgotten what goes down. Almost there!

Well, finally completed the DC version this afternoon, what a ride! I just can't say how much I enjoyed playing through it again.

Ramirez was a worthy end-boss, with a few big surprises I wont get into (dont know how to post spoilers), but lets just say he's pretty bad ass - and Zelos is MUCH more powerful than any other of the Gigas' that came before him, some of his attacks took over 17,000 hp. Once again I was able to defeat both Ramirez and Zelos without dying even once - but they were fairly tough and if I had not used the right strategy I could have run into some trouble, but I still think I had a much tougher time with some of the special bosses in Legends. I totally draw a blank on what it was like to fight Ramirez and Zelos on Legends, so I cant really compare the two. I still have Legends and a save right at the very end, but I also have all the discoveries and my party is at a way higher level, so if I play through it it wont be a really fair comparison, but I want to do it anyway.

I like how they go through each character and say what became of them after the end - some of it was surprisingly sad as some were very fortunate and others not so much.

I highly recommend these games to any retro gamer who digs RPGs. If you have a choice, play Legends for sure, but the original DC version is fine if its all you can get.

• Upvote 2

Seemingly I get easily distracted by something new and tend not to finish games. I played SOA (bought at or soon after the release) on my Dreamcast at the time and actually managed to finish it. I think I put in well over 100 hours into it. I found it something of a relief to be able to go above the clouds so you could avoid the random encounters. I did have trouble finding the entrance to that temple. I think I missed out on some of the discoveries and would have loved to have a Post Game where you could go around and find them.

I bought the GC version (probably on release) but played it (effectively) too soon after the DC version so lost interest. I was intending to try to get all the discoveries second time around.

I ought to fire up my Wii (for the first time in ages), do an update (no doubt) and see if I can find my GC SOA to try playing again.

• Upvote 1