Apache: Air Assault

I was craving a "Strike" like game. This could be fun.

http://kotaku.com/5587924/its-about-time-f...ter-combat-game

The prevalence of helicopters in Call of Duty: Black Ops could lead to uncontrollable cravings for a game that features only helicopters. Enter Apache: Air Assault from Gaijin Games, due out this fall for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Where have all the helicopter games gone? Sure, we're going to get a taste in Black Ops, but that's not nearly enough. Luckily for us, Activision Publishing is bringing us Apache: Air Assault, guaranteed to be the best helicopter combat simulation game on current-generation consoles.

"No games on next-gen consoles have been dedicated to helicopter combat simulation, but that is about to change this fall", said David Oxford, Activision Publishing. "Apache: Air Assault offers fun for diehard military enthusiasts and flight sim fans as well as gamers who just want to blow stuff up."

I just want to blow stuff up, with a helicopter. Sold!

For those of you requiring a bit more detail, the game features 16 multi-tiered missions that will take players from the African coast to the Middle East to Central America, all mapped out realistically using satellite imagery. The player will fly multiple variations of the Apache helicopter, each with its own weapon load out, damage modeling, likes, and dislikes.

And it's got game modes too! There's an arcade mode for players like me, or and realistic mode that goes deep with realistic controls that don't sound very conducive to just blowing things up. It's got online multiplayer combat, and even a co-op mode where two players team up inside the same helicopter. What more do you want?

Of course it remains to be seen it the game is any good, but even if it's the worst dedicated helicopter combat game in the history of dedicated helicopter combat games, it'll still be the best on current-gen consoles, and you can't take that away from the PR department.

apache_air_assault_screen_1.jpg

apache_air_assault_screen_2.jpg

apache_air_assault_screen_3.jpg

apache_air_assault_screen_4.jpg

apache_air_assault_screen_5.jpg

Semi-arcadey combat flight sims are something I've been sorely missing since the Amiga, and when they do try them they usually get botched one way or another. I'll certainly keep an eye on this, and fingers crossed.

Microprose "Gunship" here. Its about time - there hasn't been a modern decent war sim in ages - the last round was WW2 sims.

Where have they gone!

I'd like a Tornado sim where you have to hunt down a single player on foot. Just you and the player. Plane VS shotgun.

*edit*..hang on...isn't this on the PC already?

*edit* - yes it is. on Activisions value label - its 7 years old though.

*edit* - oh fuck...Gajin are terrible devs. They did those shitty racing games on the PS3.

Microprose "Gunship" here. Its about time - there hasn't been a modern decent war sim in ages - the last round was WW2 sims.

Where have they gone!

I'd like a Tornado sim where you have to hunt down a single player on foot. Just you and the player. Plane VS shotgun.

*edit* - oh fuck...Gajin are terrible devs. They did those shitty racing games on the PS3.

The manual for Microprose gunship convinced me I could fly a helicopter in real life and land it if the main rotor blade failed. I loved that game - hellfire rockets, FFAR - gaining medals and the missions impacting the overall campaign.

Never mind having the Airwolf music in your head, for years I thought I was String Fellow Hawke. Fuck Blue Thunder - String Fellow Hawke was deep man, I mean he played a cello by a lake with just a dog for company cause any one he loved died - those are the rules for hereos.

Long before battlefield 2 there was an amazing mod for bf1942 named desert combat, it was basically the prelude to bf2 however the helicopters were amazing and hellishly realistic in their controls. it took me 6 months to learn but when i had it down, no other game gave me so much reward, or so much respect from other players, as a decent chopper pilot was like gold dust.

This is about helicpoters, i'm in!

Long before battlefield 2 there was an amazing mod for bf1942 named desert combat, it was basically the prelude to bf2 however the helicopters were amazing and hellishly realistic in their controls. it took me 6 months to learn but when i had it down, no other game gave me so much reward, or so much respect from other players, as a decent chopper pilot was like gold dust.

This is about helicpoters, i'm in!

I was an ace at flying helicopters in Desert Combat! I could do anything with them and flying at low level was my speciality. Spinning around a spot on the ground while the gunner rakes the area below. Perfect controls, but its a shame the controls were dumbed down for BF2 / Vietnam.

I was an ace at flying helicopters in Desert Combat! I could do anything with them and flying at low level was my speciality. Spinning around a spot on the ground while the gunner rakes the area below. Perfect controls, but its a shame the controls were dumbed down for BF2 / Vietnam.

oh man how awesome, and i totally agree it really felt like you had a skill that you had earned. My best momentI was taking a crew over to a base point and did a loop the loop, my headphones nearly exploded with the cheers. Good times!!

So bf vietnam could be epic eh?

• 3 months later...

Didn't they have something to do with the console IL-2 Sturmovik though? It turned out fine, looked good and ran pretty well.

I didn't realise it at the time but they're all part of 1C, but Maddox and Gajin are two teams AFAIK. Thats not to say assets from Stirmovik haven't been used though.

In fact for console use i suspect they have but the Gajin team are a bit "meh and miss".

I'd not heard of this until today. I love flying helicopters in games. I bought Battlefield 2 and pretty much all I did with it was learn to fly the choppers on my own, then stick the bots on and fly around in the Cobra creaming them. Wargasm and Flashpoint as well - the highlights were getting my hands on the helis.

I can't wait to try this. The idea of having properly challenging Apaches to fly really appeals to me. The only thing that worries me is that it'll just be about bombing stuff from afar. The best thing about flying choppers in BF games is doing wicked landings in tiny places to pick up gunners, or setting it down with 1% health left to perform a quick repair. I can't see there being much focus on that kind of manoeuvre in a dedicated combat game.

The video looks great though - especially blowing massive chunks out of buildings.

I tried the demo out yesterday (on Realistic handling) and was rather surprised by it. In-cockpit view, swooping smoothly down into a valley and skimming fifty ft above the ground full speed felt really good, and putting it into hover mode changing the view to infrared or thermal, zooming in and picking off enemies with various weapon types felt satisfying enough.

This is rather ace once you turn the music off. Lots of special effects kicking off and the zoomed up infrared scopes are amazing - just like you see in the news.

Nice graphics too - much better then i thought it would be i must say. Hopefully theres lost more to destroy rather then just vehicles and the body death animations are a bit pants (esp. when you destroy a building they're on) bit its all forgiveable as theres lots happening.

The exposions sometimes work and sometimes look naff.

Games like this need some kinda of random explosion generator. I wish someone would do an explosion engine. We've have AI engines, graphics engines, sound engines, chaos e....forget that...

But yeah...someone needs to work on a phyiscs based explosion engine where every explosion is different but with the scope if the object being destroyed.

Jesus wept! I started this topic hoping we would have a decent "strike" style game. My first impressions are what a god awful demo and controls scheme. I love the fact my helicopter has to be pointing at what appears to be at least a 60-70 degree angle to move forward.

Jesus wept! I started this topic hoping we would have a decent "strike" style game. My first impressions are what a god awful demo and controls scheme. I love the fact my helicopter has to be pointing at what appears to be at least a 60-70 degree angle to move forward.

I didn't find that at all (on Realistic handling). In fact, this video of the demo shows the Apache taking off and moving forward with just a slight dip of the nose: