Football League Championship 2010/11 Official Thread

Rex Grossman

I really want to see Forest play both play-off games with smiles on their faces, with a bit of a care free attitude and lots of attacking intent. I don't care if we go out giving everything we've got and trying to win. I just know we'll scrape a win at the City Ground and then try and play for a 0-0 at the Liberty Stadium and end up getting the spanking of a life time, because the players are their usual rigid and petrified selves.

C'mon you Tricky Trees. Do us proud for once. Stop being shit.

Yep agree with this! We are underdogs no doubt and it just might suit us. That said, I promised myself after last season I would not under any circumstances entertain the hope of us reaching a playoff final. Just hoping we play some nice attacking football seems sensible.

Anyhoo - predictions (biased or not) ago go.

Forest to beat Swansea

Cardiff to beat Reading

Cardiff to beat Forest (bellamy hatrick)

An Earnshaw hattrick is more likely :)

I love this time of year, the totally batshit mental transfer gossip starts coming out and we can all get optimistic for a while before the reality that your big summer signing is a winger from Berwick Rangers hits.

Yep agree with this! We are underdogs no doubt and it just might suit us. That said, I promised myself after last season I would not under any circumstances entertain the hope of us reaching a playoff final. Just hoping we play some nice attacking football seems sensible.

An Earnshaw hattrick is more likely :)

I'd love to see Earnie get a hatrick providing Bellamy does as well and Jay gets the winner :P

He does??! :D

I heard his crazy rant about how they actually wanted to finish 4th..on purpose. But that was it

Yeah - he keeps saying it.

Apparantly, becuase we were under a transfer embargo then everyone thought we'd be relegation favourites except that no-one actually thought that especially as our Malaysian backers were talking top 2 strtaight after the play off ifnal.

While expectation wasn't that high when we kicked off against Sheff United in terms of a top 6 place, Nobody thought the play-off finalists minus Ledley and Kennedy would go down especially with Bothroyd and Chopra up front.

I dread to think what he would come out with if we lost to Swansea in the final. I'd assume he will fall on his sword if we don't sack him, but as he thinks he has worked a Holloway style miracle then i'm not sure.

Yeah - he keeps saying it.

Apparantly, becuase we were under a transfer embargo then everyone thought we'd be relegation favourites except that no-one actually thought that especially as our Malaysian backers were talking top 2 strtaight after the play off ifnal.

While expectation wasn't that high when we kicked off against Sheff United in terms of a top 6 place, Nobody thought the play-off finalists minus Ledley and Kennedy would go down especially with Bothroyd and Chopra up front.

I dread to think what he would come out with if we lost to Swansea in the final. I'd assume he will fall on his sword if we don't sack him, but as he thinks he has worked a Holloway style miracle then i'm not sure.

:lol: :lol:

That is epic. The guys mental, theres something very kevin blackwell about him.

I dont think anyone thought cardiff were relegation candidates when they were bringing in the likes of craig bellamy!

I can't see past a Forsest v Cardiff final. Our only hope is that Forest turn up to play football against us, we will play any team in this division off the park if they go toe to toe with us. Sadly I think Forest will try to make the game a physical one, we will never win that.

I can't see past a Forsest v Cardiff final. Our only hope is that Forest turn up to play football against us, we will play any team in this division off the park if they go toe to toe with us. Sadly I think Forest will try to make the game a physical one, we will never win that.

Have you seen forest play?

We dont have physical players, and have never played a physical game. Even under megson and jokeinnear

Id say forest as much as swansea, on thier day can play any team off the park aswell, as some of the football forest play at times is stunning.

For example, when swansea came to the city ground we gave them a footballing lesson and outplayed them. Then when we went to the liberty it was the reverse.

We havent been as consistent as last season, when we were far and away the best footballing side in the championship- but id say you were underestimating forest there.

In all honesty, I think we'll attack swansea at home who will like last time, come to counter attack. Then in the second leg, forest will be very defensive with swansea going all out attack.

Well depending on the scoreline.

Ive got a feeling that swansea will win the first leg, and then have to suffer through a nervy 2nd leg at home as forest will have to chase the game.

I don't recall Forest ever purposefully making a game a physical one. We haven't got the players to do that and I don't think we did it this season (certainly not at home), when we've beaten Cardiff twice this season. I think Forest will stick to their passing game at home, but tend to stick men behind the ball away from home and play a more a counter-attacking game.

I don't recall Forest ever purposefully making a game a physical one. We haven't got the players to do that and I don't think we did it this season (certainly not at home), when we've beaten Cardiff twice this season. I think Forest will stick to their passing game at home, but tend to stick men behind the ball away from home and play a more a counter-attacking game.

What this man says :)

Any forest fans still looking for tickets- they go on general sale at 3pm. Theres 6,000 left currently. Except nffcretail to crash.

My big worry for forest is left back, now koncheskys loan has expired.

Theres 1 of 2 scenarios.

Lynch to come back into the squad. He did a decent job, but hes been injured for ages and is still pushing it to be fit for thursday. I'd be worried about an unfit lynch facing swansea.

The other scenario, is i think more likely as billy favoured it whilst konch was out, and again at palace. Which is to put gunter on the left and maloney on the right.

This is a terrible idea, as gunter is nowhere near as effective on the left, and maloneys done an ok job....but isnt as good as gunter. Thats not what you want when your going up against the leagues best wingers and swanseas main threat.

There is bennett, but billy doesnt seem to want to play him.

Interestingly, even though koncheskys loan expired after the scunthorpe game, he travelled with the squad to the palace game and came out onto the pitch after the game. Billy pointed out, and gestured him for applause which was nice.

But aswell, koncheskys asked to stick around at forest, behind the scenes for the play offs to help out.

Which, I think is fantastic. You dont really see players doing that.

On matchtalk last night, they were saying he really wants to stay permanently as hes loved it here- but his wages are so high its very unlikely to happen.

Guess it depends how much he wants to be playing first team football, as I can't see him getting it at Liverpool. You would think at his age he would want to be playing every week.

True, but the wages difference between the Premiership and Championship is so massive, it really does pay to stay at your parent club and go out on loan to get the best of both worlds. You can't blame a player - no matter how much he professes to enjoy being at a club - for sitting tight with a contract that pays him 4 or 5 times what he would get at a lower end club.

You guys obviously know your club better than I would, I always thought of forest as very physical, no offence intended. I didn't realise that Konchesky would miss the games, our best player this season has been Nathan Dyer, our right winger. All our play comes down the right hand side, against Forest down the liberty he made Konchesky look like a league one clogger.

I'm so nervous about the games. I'm not even 100% going to the home game, my 5 a side team plays on a Monday and we need to win our last game to get promoted.

I don't enjoy watching games that mean so much, I'm a bag of nerves throughout and if we lose I sulk for weeks.

You guys obviously know your club better than I would, I always thought of forest as very physical, no offence intended.

I guess we've got two burly 'old fashioned' centre-halves in Luke Chambers and Wes Morgan, but that's about where any physicality among the Forest players end, the rest of them are a bunch of nancy boys!

Last season i had some comp tickets for the Swansea v Forest game, I was in the reception area when the Forest coach pulled up and Wes Morgan came out and walked passed me, I felt like a 5 year old, he is huge. Not many strikers are going to beat him in a physical battle

You guys obviously know your club better than I would, I always thought of forest as very physical, no offence intended. I didn't realise that Konchesky would miss the games, our best player this season has been Nathan Dyer, our right winger. All our play comes down the right hand side, against Forest down the liberty he made Konchesky look like a league one clogger.

I'm so nervous about the games. I'm not even 100% going to the home game, my 5 a side team plays on a Monday and we need to win our last game to get promoted.

I don't enjoy watching games that mean so much, I'm a bag of nerves throughout and if we lose I sulk for weeks.

Hhaha, no problem matey :)

Nah, forest have never been a physical side. Its one of the things every manager has moaned about, even clough to some extent- the forest way. Forest have always been a passing club that likes to be known for playing football the right way.

Its one of the reasons, alot of our fans were so oppossed to davies taking over due to his reputation. But thankfully, he got us playing some of the best football ive seen, since the championship winning team under bassett which had the likes of van hooijdonk in it.

Yeah, the lb situation has my terrified because of nathan dyer. As you rightly say, he destroyed konch at the liberty - so i dont hold out much hope for any of our makeshift players in that role.

You should go mate.

Im like you, i get almost suicidally nervous about forest. But even though we lost against blackpool last year, it was probably the best atmosphere of any game ive ever been too. The home leg vs swansea is almost sold out now (even i have just got my tickets) so it should be a cracker.

If swansea win at the liberty and go through, you'll kick yourself for missing such a huge huge moment mate. Even if you lose (which you wont), its been a huge effort and achievement to get to third and to the play offs.

Its one of the matches that comes round so rarely, you dont wanna miss it :)

You should defo go to the home game - nothing like a crazy play-off semi final 2nd leg.

In saying that, I would happily miss ours as this will be my 5th play-off semi final 2nd leg (2 good and 2 bad) and my 8th play off semi final match all told. I've had the elation, the stress and the crushing hurt and even if we win it'll be wembley stress time yet again.

However, as I live 5 minutes walk from the ground then there is little point not going as I'll hear what is going on anyway and that'll be more stressful as I won't be able to shout, chant or jabber on about God knows what.

I guess we've got two burly 'old fashioned' centre-halves in Luke Chambers and Wes Morgan, but that's about where any physicality among the Forest players end, the rest of them are a bunch of nancy boys!

There's McKenna as well... but he's not really physical, just likes a foul or two I guess... like Paul Scholes but without the talent...

okay so its the day before the game and just like last year, its preview time! Due to having to pass the time at work, and excitement- heres my view from on forest (not sure if you want to do one for swansea herbalizer)

Semi Final 1 1st leg

Nottingham Forest vs Swansea

City Ground, Nottingham

11/5/2011

KO - 7.45PM

The first game of the 2011 championship play offs kicks off tomorrow night with a potential belter. The 2 best pure footballing teams in the league,on thier day, go head to head in the hopes of securing a spot at wembley for the play off final.

For forest, this is thier 3rd play off experience, and each one has been particuarly unpleasant. In thier previous 3 ties, they have done very well in the first leg, only to fall apart in the last 30 minutes of each second leg- conceding 4 goals all 3 times. Against sheffield united in 03, yeovil in 07 and also blackpool in 2010. The same thing has happened like its destiny.

Also, looking back, each of those capitulations has begun with an own goal, from a forest defender. So place your bets on who its going to be this time. My moneys on wes.

Forest will be hoping this time to end that hoodoo, and have a fantastic chance to do so. In the corressponding fixture earlier in the season, forest destroyed the swans 3-1 in a scoreline which seriously flattered swansea and which in hindsight, highlighted what would be one of forests biggest problems during the season- an inability to take thier chances.

However, swansea at the liberty were by far the best team forest have played this season. It was a miracle the game only finished 3-2 to the swans as, watching it on the web, swansea couldve won by 8 goals and it wouldnt have been a surprise.

Forest go into the game on the back of 4 straight wins, scoring 14 goals in the process- so appear to have hit form at the right time. The only negative is they have conceded 5 goals in that time. For most of the season, forests defense was rock solid and gave nothing away- now it seems to have flopped at the most crucial time.

This comes after a disastrous run of 9 games without a win which saw forest fall from 2nd and even out of the top 6. A run, that in fairness to forest saw them lose several key players to injury which is a major blow to a squad which at times only had 16 players available.

Forests return to form has conicided with billys move to a diamond formation and the resugence of lewis mcgugan who has been forests talisman. Hes the sort of player who could be the difference between winning and losing.

The reds have lost left back paul konchesky whos loan has expired, but otherwise have a full squad available. Lee Camp and Guy moussi both limped out of the 3-0 victory over crystal palace but it seems to have been just a precaution.

Perpetual injury victims, joel lynch,robbie findley and nathan tyson are all available, with earnshaw returning from suspension.

For the first time this season- billy has a fully fit squad to choose from. With the exception of blackstock.

There is a selection headache for billy though, in the form of the left back position. Koncheskys loan is up so hes unanavailable which means 1 of 2 options. Central defender joel lynch could come in at left back, but hes been injured for ages and his fitness is an issue. Which is not what you want going up against nathan dyer.

The other option, and one billy has favoured, is to switch gunter to the left and bring in maloney. This is potentially terrible decision going up against the 2 best wingers who earlier in the season tormented forests full backs at the liberty.

The key for forest, is to shut down swansea's wingers. This is possibly the hardest task in the league- particuarly when your full back situation is in the state forests is in.

All in all forest have many reasons to be positive going in,and with finishing 6th they are arguably the underdogs. Unlike last season where they finished 3rd and were expected to beat blackpool- the pressure isnt as strong.

Indeed,Most of the press, and myself, seem to already be talking up an all welsh play off final between swansea and cardiff.

Forest undoubtedly have as strong a squad as anyone and are capable of beating any of the 3 play off sides comfortably on thier day. Its just depends which forest turns up.

This could just be the season for forest, but most forest fans, like me will automatically be expecting forest to blow it in spectacular fashion.

Watch out for - Robbie Findley. The american international has been almost a mythical figure for forest, only been glimpsed in 2 sub appearances for forest despite signing in january. He was injured during his first training session, but every time hes played hes had a huge impact on the game.

Possible team selection

Camp

Gunter Chambers Morgan Lynch

Moussi

Anderson Cohen

Mcgugan

Earnshaw Boyd

Prediction for game 1: Forest 1 Swansea 2

Great stuff incapable, cheers for the preview! Would like to hear one from a Swansea POV.

Can someone kindly confirm the away goals rule now for me? Every time we get in the playoffs I've forgotten the away goals rule again...

Hahah!

In our play off vs yeovil, it went to extra time, at 3-3. with forest winning the first leg 2-0, and yeovil after 90 minutes at the city ground being 3-1 up to take it to extra time :)

Thats how i remember. Its also how I destroy any optimism I have related to forest.