PilotWings Resort

matt!

Surely I can't be the only one that has had my fingers crossed for a new Piltowings these past few E3?

Well today it happened! For Nintendo 3DS.

Confirmed features:

Wuhu Island

Airplane

Jet pack

Mii

3D!

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Personally I'm gutted. I wanted a proper Wii version - but without waggle bullshit. I can only see out of one eye so 3D is lost on me. I know the 3D can be turned off, but because of that I'd rather play it on my big TV.

Oh and I'm sick of the sight of that bloody island now. That pales in comparison to the places they had in Pilotwings 64. I assume there will be more, but yeah, unimpressed to say the least.

The plane flying in Wii Sports Resort is just wonderfully simple. It's one of the purest uses of the remote, as you just fly the plane like you were holding a little airfix model in your hand. Even my mate's 3 year old could play it (with occasional help to shoot balloons etc).

I'm looking forward to this, but it would have made far more sense on the Wii.

Personally I'm gutted. I wanted a proper Wii version - but without waggle bullshit.

I wanted a proper Wii version specifically because the "waggle bullshit", a.k.a. MotionPlus tilt controls in this case, worked so well in Wii Sports Resort - being given more capable plane tilt controls, flying the backpack with the remote held up like a joystick etc.

Maybe that's not happening because Wii Sports Resort has already done lite versions of what would be in a Wii version of Pilotwings.

Anyway, 3DS sales + 1.

I wanted a proper Wii version specifically because the "waggle bullshit", a.k.a. MotionPlus tilt controls in this case, worked so well in Wii Sports Resort - being given more capable plane tilt controls, flying the backpack with the remote held up like a joystick etc.

Maybe that's not happening because Wii Sports Resort has already done lite versions of what would be in a Wii version of Pilotwings.

Anyway, 3DS sales + 1.

Actually I agree with you on the jetpack controls. It is the one thing I hoped would be in a Wii version as I had the exact same thought for that control scheme, as it makes perfect sense.

While the plane controls worked fine in Wii Sports resort, I think I'd get tired of holding the controller that way throughout a full Pilotwings game.

While the plane controls worked fine in Wii Sports resort, I think I'd get tired of holding the controller that way throughout a full Pilotwings game.

I don't think you would. How long did most missions in Pilotwings take? Not long at all:

[yt]Sjp4Dp_BGgA[/yt]

Plus it would be mixed up with the different vehicles and control types (holding the remote like the jetpack joystick for instance, as mentioned).

I don't think you would. How long did most missions in Pilotwings take? Not long at all:

[yt]Sjp4Dp_BGgA[/yt]

Plus it would be mixed up with the different vehicles and control types (holding the remote like the jetpack joystick for instance, as mentioned).

Man, just that whistle sound (and the music) brings back memories.... now can they put a Mount Rushmore type thing in Wuhu Island????

Yeah I'm a lazy gamer though. I always play lay down on the couch, so anything other than normal controls make me have to sit up! :omg:

I do think that at the time it was quite the spectacle on the N64, especially Little States or whatever it was called. That will surely be lost on a handheld. That video though - I wish there was a PC emu that played it properly with no glitches.

From the screens of various games set on Wuhu Island (see mario Kart 3DS) it looks like they're taking the island shape as a base and throwing all manner of new stuff on it that is relevant to the game.

Woo! Hoo!

[yt]Sjp4Dp_BGgA[/yt]

Man, I loved that mission. Pilotwings 64 was so fantastic - and at the time in many ways more impressive than Mario 64. I spent hours and hours just exploring the little nooks and crannies of the islands in the jet pack, and I loved finding all the little things they stuffed in there. Like the little cave that led to the star that turned you into the birdman on the icy island, or a little ghost town I discovered on the Little States. Wow, that game was really amazing.

I disagree with you about the motion controls though - while they worked great for the simple plane flying in Wii Sports Resort, I don't think they would work for the kind of precise control you need for this game. You can't really have one-to-one control of an entire plane that might stall and so on.