IGNORED

Journey

Vemsie

• 3 weeks later...

No, I'm with Fury. I mean, you didn't get to shoot a single bro space marine, and your protagonist might even have been female. What sort of shit is that?

In all seriousness, I enjoyed it, but I've never thought it was as good as the general reception it gets. It wasn't a patch on Fl0wer, which I absolutely adored.

I thought it was a very decent 2-hour social experiment, but I forgot about it very soon afterwards. I just remember one of my companions getting their scarf cut short and I thought, "Haha, my scarf is longer than yours!" and I realized I had mentally turned the experience into a dick-measuring contest. I suppose that's interesting.

It is an atmospheric game, you need turn off the lights create the mood, headphones on & enjoy.

The items you collect increase the length of your scarf allowing you to fly higher & longer.

If people seem frustrated it's probably because stopping at that bit is like complaining that Ocarina of Time is a bit shit when you haven't even left the forest at the beginning. I.e you're not really qualified to pass a judgement on it when it's not been given anything close to a proper chance. 

Its definitely a slow starter but I can't imagine many people feeling like they wasted their time having gotten to the end, even if they didn't think it was as good as consensus suggests. 

One downside to 'free' games is there's no real incentive to push through a boring start.   I've no idea what's meant to happen that's good apart from meeting other people.

I wasn't enjoying it - in fact I found collecting jump tickets to be really tedious.   So I stopped.  I guess if I'd paid for it I might have tried a bit harder.

I find the "if you don't like this you have no soul" stuff to be daft.

53 minutes ago, JPickford said:

One downside to 'free' games is there's no real incentive to push through a boring start.   I've no idea what's meant to happen that's good apart from meeting other people.

I wasn't enjoying it - in fact I found collecting jump tickets to be really tedious.   So I stopped.  I guess if I'd paid for it I might have tried a bit harder.

I find the "if you don't like this you have no soul" stuff to be daft.

It was a light hearted comment, Jesus. But yeah shame you didn't push through as it is a really special game, in my opinion of course.

17 hours ago, JPickford said:

Obviously this is one of those games you're not allowed to dislike.

People would probably be more accepting of you not liking it if you'd played more than five minutes, or had any actual criticism, or had actually bothered at all.

I completed it.

The best parts were the first two or three areas. Then when it changed tack from there it was definitely for the worse.

I never got to a point where my scarf was long enough that I didn't feel like I was being punished for jumping when I didn't explicitly need to and the fact that there were other people in the world with me didn't really add anything other than a feeling that if I spent time exploring the world I'd just annoy them, which made me hurry through areas rather than exploring for more power ups.

Beyond that it seemed to follow pretty much exactly the same structure as Flower, attempting to hit all the same emotional notes along the way. I didn't like Flower either. 

Played through this today, beautiful. Played most of the game with a companion, helping each other, showing the way etc. Surround headphones created a wonderful atmosphere. Only other game that I've had the same sort of feeling from is Ico, hard to explain but just feels good.

On 6/10/2016 at 09:38, Fury4k said:

I completed it.

The best parts were the first two or three areas. Then when it changed tack from there it was definitely for the worse.

I never got to a point where my scarf was long enough that I didn't feel like I was being punished for jumping when I didn't explicitly need to and the fact that there were other people in the world with me didn't really add anything other than a feeling that if I spent time exploring the world I'd just annoy them, which made me hurry through areas rather than exploring for more power ups.

Beyond that it seemed to follow pretty much exactly the same structure as Flower, attempting to hit all the same emotional notes along the way. I didn't like Flower either. 

I thought it was amazing but I agree with a lot of this. Having to find the ribbons to fly made me use it a lot less than I'd have liked, despite pretty quickly getting additional tokens to make the scarf longer, and I definitely agree about exploring when there's a random partner in the game - if I took any time exploring, they would just go right ahead and do all the puzzles themselves. 

• 1 month later...

I went back to this on PS3 last night, there are still some others playing it (although the two I did find wandered off without me, the dicks). However, having completed it once is everything unlocked by default in the hub area now? I'm a bit confused as a result, I can't remember but presumably I unlocked each chapter one at a time on my first playthrough? 

Not entirely sure where to start as a result, is it the first portal on the left I need to go to then I'll go through the entire game chapter by chapter or will I get pulled back to the hub after each chapter? I'd just like to go through it in order again really, but not sure how.

9 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I went back to this on PS3 last night, there are still some others playing it (although the two I did find wandered off without me, the dicks). However, having completed it once is everything unlocked by default in the hub area now? I'm a bit confused as a result, I can't remember but presumably I unlocked each chapter one at a time on my first playthrough? 

Not entirely sure where to start as a result, is it the first portal on the left I need to go to then I'll go through the entire game chapter by chapter or will I get pulled back to the hub after each chapter? I'd just like to go through it in order again really, but not sure how.

No hub you restart the game again & can pick up the missing glyph's you have missed.

I did restart the game and I'm at a chapter select hub, this might be because I did specifically say to be taken there from the pause menu mind. After starting the game and heading to the first big ruin but I leapt onto the first portal I saw rather than grab the couple of scarf bits in the area, forgetting that takes me into the first chapter so I wanted to go back rather than churning through the slow first five minutes again .

I'd already been pissed off that it didn't tell me about a software update required for online play until after booting the PS3, launching the game and actually starting to play it whereupon it wasn't connected so I asked it to and then it told me I needed to back out entirely and update. At which point I needed to generate a 2FA code for the first time on there as well, so it took me bloody ages to get back into it. Long enough that I managed an incredibly crap run of Binding of Isaac on the Wii U controller while I waited :hmm: 

Journey was wonderful. I've played through it at least half a dozen times, it's perfect laid back gaming if you want to wander through a beautiful land without any pressure or serious challenges. I can see why people don't rate it highly as a game as it's pretty much a 'press forward to win' walking simulator but it's just great soaking up the atmosphere and getting lost in its beauty.

12 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I did restart the game and I'm at a chapter select hub, this might be because I did specifically say to be taken there from the pause menu mind. After starting the game and heading to the first big ruin but I leapt onto the first portal I saw rather than grab the couple of scarf bits in the area, forgetting that takes me into the first chapter so I wanted to go back rather than churning through the slow first five minutes again .

I have not done this chapter select playthrough but I have found this via google, not sure if it will help?

While in game, press "start" to pause, followed by pressing "select" to access the "options menu." Now press the "triangle" button to go to the "Chapter Select/HUB" area.

Two things to bear in mind: 
1. The "Chapter Select" option is unavailable to a player during the initial Journey. Only after completing the first Journey will it become available. 
2. Returning to the "Chapter Select/HUB" erases all game progress. This affects Symbols collected and scarf length (but not Trophies acquired). In particular, a player loses all record of players met prior to returning to the HUB and they will not appear on the "Companions Met Along the Way" screen upon completion of the Journey. 

If for any reason you wish to stop Journeying but want to retain a record of Companions met, quit the game altogether. Upon restarting, choose "continue" (rather than "New Game"). You will continue from the start of the level you left off in and your record of Companions met will be intact (with the exception of anyone you met in the level you quit in if they were not with you in a prior saved level).