Nintendo E3 Conference 2010

Deeptone

News!

6:10: If all we were going to do is port the Nintendo 64 games all we would have are old games in 3D. We're having fun adding new features.

Nintendogs+Cats:

6:19: Miyamoto says "Cats are interesting, they're like girls…if they come and talk to you, it's great! But if you go and talk to them, it might not go so well. (laughs). We had Nintendogs, and we put cats in the place of dogs and it was weird. It was cute but it was weird, wagging tails and them looking happy. But it gave us ideas."

6:20: Konno says, "It's interesting to see cats and dogs interact together. And with the 3DS, we're able to bring out fur texturing. It's looks great. I wanted to bring out the individual personalities of the dogs. Increasing the coloration, the length, get a good variation of dogs. And also increase the communication with the dog. We've got a camera now where we can recognize the player's face.If you look at the screen and tilt your head from side to side, the dog will mimic you. If you bring your face up close, the dog will lick your face. It's adorable.

News!

Zelda:

6:35: Miyamoto's clearly not happy about the embarassing demo this morning. It was wireless interference, he swears!

6:36: We're just watching the game demo once again, but this time it's working. I've already posted the hands-on. Some commentary: We made the map easier to read so it's much harder to get lost. One of our objectives was to bring the core gameplay back and not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is.

6:39: Last year we showed a single piece of art. Back then, the story was pretty much complete. We just didn't have much in the way of anything visual to show.

6:40: For the most part, we're in the final stretch. We still have some dungeons to create, but the gameplay is solid. We're just not confident that we can get the final pieces in for this year. So that's why we revealed a 2011 release.

6:45: How many people remember the scene where Link dives off the cliff in the trailer? That's a very important point for the storyline. This time around, Link is born and raised in a land called Sky Loft, a land floating above the clouds. It may sound unique for someone to live on a floating land, but Link finds it ordinary. A land beneath the clouds is discovered, it's ruled by evil forces, but Link is forced to go there. Link has to travel between the two lands in this adventure. The Skyward Sword is his driving force behind his traveling between lands. That mysterious figure in last year's art is the Skyward Sword. People suspected this to be the Master Sword…but spoiler alert, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword. (laughs).

6:46: Miyamoto comments on the art style: I'm a fan of the visuals. It only went through one round to get my approval.

6:47: There will be lots of visual cues to identify enemy attacks and weaknesses, and the best way of relaying this to the player is through overexaggerating character designs, so full realism just wouldn't work. If we used the same graphics from Twilight Princess, the game would already be done.

News!

Ocarina of Time 3D:

6:51: Mr. Aonuma was a victim of Ocarina of Time, where I kidnapped him for a project. He has something to share. You know the Water Temple? Who thought it was tough or even horrible? I've lived with that for the last ten odd years. But with the 3DS we have a touch screen. You had to take off and on the iron boots constantly, right? So I'd like to lay the evil shame to rest, and add a feature to make the iron boots control much easier.

Wii Zelda:

7:03: In Zelda, is the HUD a work in progress, with the on-screen controller? It was designed and implemented for E3. Will it change? Yes. At E3 we're throwing a lot of things at you at once, and we made something for people to quickly understand. We've had HUD in past Zelda games, and you've always had the option to turn it off with a button.

7:06: Will Zelda have orchestral music and/or voice acting? We can't do what we did in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and not move forward and do the same thing in Zelda. We have people on staff looking forward to getting to work on that.

News!

7:08: What's up with Pikmin? Weren't you supposed to keep the questions to these projects we just talked about? Kit, you're supposed to stop these questions from happening! We showed a lot of great games and I was afraid Pikmin would get lost in the mess. Rest assured, we're working on Pikmin, but please don't make that the number one story of the evening.

The one decent franchise they haven't milked to death and it seems like they don't give a shit. I mean it's perfect for the Wii and here we are 4 years later at E3 and they don't even want to mention it! I mean the fuck?

Considering not only have Nintendo announced not only sequels to common franchises like Zelda and Metroid, but rebirths on Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Kid Icarus as well, complaining about a lack of Pikmin is just greedy. How many games do you expect a single company to make? I was in awe at the fact that we got well over 5 games at E3 coming out for the Wii this year, let along the 15+ I'm looking forward to, including 3DS and 3rd party games.

Looking back on it, Nintendo did seem to have the most solid presentation and it was a bit of a "double whammy". Remembering that a lot of mainstream press are taking interest in gaming, MS and Sony were probably sure that they would get a lot of press coverage after the event- what with their motion controllers being released. But then their presentations (maybe more MS) were a bit like Nintendo's when they announced the Wii- it was more about the controller than the games (what with there being not much more than demos of how the controller would work).

It was a bit of genius by Nintendo to have the strategy of unveiling the 3DS (which will get lots of mainstream press) as well as unveiling some games based on strong franchises (DKCR, Goldeneye, Mario Mix etc) as it seemed to get the attention of both parts of the press- the mainstream and the gaming.

In saying that, personally, it's a little disappointing... (don't shoot me). I know that it's fantastic to see some great games coming back, but apart from the 3DS (and some of the titles on it) there wasn't really anything "new" at it (and I know, it was their strategy to show off actual games, instead of demos of technology). The Wii's lineup (for this year) consists of- a 2D Donkey Kong Platformer, a 2D Kirby Platformer, a 2D (almost.. stay with me) Metroid and a remake of Goldeneye. It really looks like Nintendo are playing it safe, with the massive sales of NSMB Wii (14 million? In 6 months?!?!?!?) and they're just going back to their old catalogue.. and making everything a 2D platformer. Where's the Pikmins, Wii Music, Wii Fit, Project HAMMER (where the fuck is that!??!?). the Wii Vitality Sensor? All the stuff that made you think... wow.. that looks... different. It just looks like Nintendo have gone "shit, both Sony and MS are going to be talking about new controllers and new "stuff", lets release a load of nostalgic titles to attract attention to us. I honestly expected them to just start shouting "Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, that racing game from the NES that nobody seems to remember... ALL COMING ON A NINTENDO NEAR YOU, YOU OLD BASTARDS!!!"

The flipside is that the Wii has some amazing remakes/updates on it (you can add Punch Out!! to that ever growing list), and I love retro gaming... so I am happy about that. But it did feel a bit lacking in the Nintendo innovation of the past couple of years.