Nintendo E3 Conference 2010

Deeptone

I'm surprised about how little hype there is for the 3DS. I think it's because everyone's really cynical about 3D these days, but seriously - a portable games console with GameCube-level graphics at least and a 3D screen you don't need glasses to use? Jesus, just a year or two ago I would have thought that was science fiction.

As for actual games I'm obviously looking forward to Zelda, but I wonder what else they'll have on the Wii. All the major franchises have recently had installments or have already been announced - Mario, Zelda, Metroid. F-Zero seems like it would need more accurate controls than the wii remote offers, and I doubt they'd do it with just nunchuck controls. Maybe Pikmin 3?

My super-speculative thing is that we'll get Starfox on the 3DS - it should have the graphical heft to do it justice now, and I think it would work particularly well with the 3D.

Have you seen the thread on neogaf about the 3DS? It's pure mental levels of hype.

Have you seen the thread on neogaf about the 3DS? It's pure mental levels of hype.

Yeah, well, hype on Neogaf is hardly a surprise. It's just that every article and podcast I've read and listened to in the past week or two has been all "OMG MAYBE THERE WILL BE A NEW GEARS TRAILER???" for instance, whereas when it comes to the 3DS they're just like "Oh, and Nintendo will show their new thing". I'd say that even the new Zelda is getting more hype than 3DS.

What a terrible life to live.

I know. I *love* the 2D Zeldas. Probably more than any other game series ever. But the 3D games, although not bad in any way, just haven't hooked me. I'm currently about 80% through Twiglets and still not feeling it.

Yeah, well, hype on Neogaf is hardly a surprise. It's just that every article and podcast I've read and listened to in the past week or two has been all "OMG MAYBE THERE WILL BE A NEW GEARS TRAILER???" for instance, whereas when it comes to the 3DS they're just like "Oh, and Nintendo will show their new thing". I'd say that even the new Zelda is getting more hype than 3DS.

Then you're listening to the wrong podcasts because on everything ranging from Gametrailers to 1Up, i'm seeing a lot of excitement.

I take it Jeremy Parish wasn't part of those? Nevertheless, looks like we're listening to different podcasts.

...Weh.

Jeremy Parish has been slagging the 3DS off because he has weird eyes and the 3D probably won't work with him.

I think what HarMGM is calling "podcasts" might actually be imagined conversations between his stuffed toys. I don't know if it's more worrying that he's imagining them at all, or that he's got a stuffed toy called "Jeremy Parish".

Worst "I'm in LA" boast post ever.

Totally unintentional, I promise you. I hate people who brag about stuff and, like most things, I'm fucking rubbish at it anyway. But I can't deny that I'm in LA and it's entirely true that there's quite a buzz about it. The biggest presence in terms of advertising space so far seems to be Move, though.

Oh shit, forgot about that. There will definitely be a bit of that and probably some other Wii gimmick games. Never the less, I'm still as excited as ever for the next Zelda, and if rumors are true I really want to see what the new Donkey Kong game looks like, and hopefully Epic Mickey if the change in visual design rumor is true as well.

Jeremy Parish has been slagging the 3DS off because he has weird eyes and the 3D probably won't work with him.

I think what HarMGM is calling "podcasts" might actually be imagined conversations between his stuffed toys. I don't know if it's more worrying that he's imagining them at all, or that he's got a stuffed toy called "Jeremy Parish".

No need to get snarky. Jesus man. :D

I know. I *love* the 2D Zeldas. Probably more than any other game series ever. But the 3D games, although not bad in any way, just haven't hooked me. I'm currently about 80% through Twiglets and still not feeling it.

I'm in the same boat as you. The 2d ones are brilliant but I just can't get into the 3d ones, Majora's Mask excluded. I can see that they are really great games but they just don't click with me.

This conference should be good; lots of cool announcements to be made, I expect.

I have a feeling that Nintendo will come out and show some stonking "core" games as Sony and MS show off their casual side this year. Journos and regular punters will forget everything Nintendo has done over the past couple of years and declare them the saviours of gaming.

A few predictions for the Wii:

Core->Zelda, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Last Story USA release, XenoBlade USA release, Zangeki USA release, new trailer for Other M and that's it.

Expanded audience-> Wii Party, Wii Relax, maybe one other title for MotionPlus.

Undefined->more Motionplus titles revealed and of course a little showreel showcasing Pikacu's Big Adventure.

Third Party->Goldeneye obviously, some love for NBA Jam(damn you EA!), EPIC Mickey to be featured quite heavily.

This would make a nice little conference no?

With the competitors desperately trying to latch onto the coat-tails of motion control and casual gaming, Nintendo reveal their new full HD hardcore-focused machine, with built-in Steam support and Half-Life 3 as an exclusive launch title.

It's going to be great to be among all you wonderful comrades for this special time of year again. I'm deliberately returning my library books a day late so I can be here. I'm taking that 80p hit for the thrill of being among good people.