Child of Eden

Vemsie

Jeeeeeesus. I've just been replaying a few archives with the lights down and my massive headphones on with the bass and volume cranked up and it's even more spectacular. I love the bit in the Beauty archive where the music has that little build-up as the boss is introduced; shivers of excitement right through me...

I'd guess that it would be down to where your Kinect is - if it can see your hands, you should be alright.

It's still sat in the shop in it's box waiting for me to pay for it at the moment. Heh. If it's just after my hands, no problem - I was just concerned that the tech might get upset if it appeared I had no legs or something. Thanks!

Slightly odd question, but do you need to be standing up to play this effectively with the Kinect? Our TV's stand is pretty low, and it would likely feel odd at that angle. If I can sit, then I'll be far more in line with the screen.

I'm not sure how much use this is, but I've given it a pop out of curiosity so may as well let you know what I found. My Kinect is on top of my telly maybe four and a half feet off the ground, so it's the opposite of your situation though. I managed to play it sitting down, but it wasn't quite right. The aiming was a bit off (probably due to the angle discrepancy) and it glitched occasionally - jerking the camera down once in a while when I wasn't doing anything. I think it may have been confusing knees for hands from time to time since they stick out just as much when you're sat down, and the game uses the depth sensor rather than skeletal tracking. If you were to get what I'm getting I wouldn't recommend it for Kinect. I'd *guess* it'll work better with a camera lower, but I'm not convinced it would be ideal even then.

The game also asks you to stand in front of the camera at the start so it may be expecting that, although that may just be for profile ID. I didn't stand, just raised up a little to make myself a little more human-shaped and it got me anyway though (plus point here - it managed to recognise me in very low-light conditions for the first time (I like darkness) - it seems to be learning).

If Kinect is a selling point I'd recommend trying before buying, or waiting for someone to reply who has their camera low too.

fair point, you didn't need to fire on the beat in Rez but I always did. particularly in area 1, the tune it plays when you shoot 4 things fitted very well into the tune if you timed it right and i hated to go through the level up tune if it wasn't timed with an 8 lock in the preceding 4 beats of the tune.

I won't get to use it much but I think I'm going to deploy my second XBox downstairs and buy a Kinect this morning. Well played Microsoft. Well played. At the very least I'll be able to spend all morning and most of the evening playing with it :)

I'm fucking loving this. My new Kinect only worked once upstairs but it's fine on the xbox downstairs. I'm not sure which control method I like the best yet. Kinect is good for whacking the purple shots but everytime I scratch my nose or adjust my glasses the camera obviously spazzes out :)

Love the way the closer you get to the end of a level the more to the foreground Lumi gets and the clearer her vocals. Just unlocked level 4. Does anyone know what I need to do to unlock more videos?

i'm loving the garden unlockables at the end of every level. at first i didn't get what they were on about, kept looking at the art gallery etc trying to find a bit that said "garden". then i realised it was the level select screen. play with the beasties in the garden, they make lovely sounds :wub:

does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the levels and other hotspots in the garden and just have it full screen & playwithable? it's also hinting at there being some kind of music visualisation unlockable. it just keeps on giving :wub:

I'm fucking loving this. My new Kinect only worked once upstairs but it's fine on the xbox downstairs. I'm not sure which control method I like the best yet. Kinect is good for whacking the purple shots but everytime I scratch my nose or adjust my glasses the camera obviously spazzes out :)

Yeah, kind of sad that when I do the smart bomb move and point both hands to the heavens, the camera moves instinctively up and it feels like I'm missing out on what's going on :(

I know not of this game, only really when it popped up in the recent post list so had to check it out. Bought, played and like (obviously). Goosebumps don't lie really... And it makes me feel like a Jedi! Oh. Just me concentrating the channelling the force through my hands? Force push!

This game is beautiful. I generally prefer 'harder' kinds of electronic music, but I think the music in the game is still great quality and works works perfectly with the visuals and overall feel. Though I'm fairly terrible at playing it, the experience is still as euphoria inducing as Rez ever was - even if I miss the simple gameplay mechanic of seeing my character evolve and the 'wow' set pieces of Rez (CoE seems to be going for a more seamless, 'fluid' kind of experience.) . I'm not even playing on Kinect... I look forward to trying that when I can afford it.

Just finished it, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I think it peaked with level 4 which had most of the memorable moments from the game, and the best boss. As has been said the last level doesn't even attempt to out do Rez's, and the first half is much better than the repetitive ending. My only real complaint, and it is partly me being not terribly good at it, is that the alert for where you are about to be hit can be confusing. The arrow is very small when the screen is busy. Compared to Rez it also isn't as clear as to what is shootable sometimes.

I might have missed it scrolling back, but I havent seen much mention of...

(ENDING spoilers)

... the level you unlock after the credits. I've only played it once and got up to part 5 (there doesn't seem to be health pickups?) but it was a proper Rez tribute, along with a running man riff.

Has anyone any tips for higher scores/stars? I don't seem to be getting more than 3 stars, with 90-95% hits. When should I be using lock and tracer? Is there any penalty for missing with the tracer?

High scores are all about building up the multiplier by releasing on the beat with 8 lock-ons. 8 lock-ons aren't much help if you're off beat, and a higher percentage of purification isn't in itself a recipe for a high score. AFAIK you never lose your multiplier by using the tracer whether you miss or hit. You can maintain your multiplier with less than 8 lock ons so long as you release on the beat but those loak-ons won't be multiplied themselves, and nor will tracer hits.

I think that's how it works anyway, it's served me pretty well.

Theres some amazing colour effects in this - personally i prefer the look but the scoring system is fairly simple.

But thats my only issue with it.

I love any shooter where your in some strange hi tech fantasy world if i'm honest.

Theres certain games that are a combination of graphics, colour, sonics and playabiliy and they quite literally define and highlight the true soul of the videogame.

That modern, futurist thinking and sense of never ending evolution within the medium.

The kinda games where you take one look and think - "videogame". its very pure.

The other thing is does well it take the simple 3D tunnel styled shmup concept and single handedly brings it straight up to date.

A bit like what Trine did with platformers or Gradius V did for Hori shmups.

Its nice to have at least one game each gen that does that.