rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
boyo

Top 10 Psone games

Decent list, nothing there I'd massively disagree with (I wouldn't put Wild Arms in, but I've spoken to people who think highly of it).

Only thing is, I'd argue that when doing this, you should really try to feature genuine screens. If you're emulating, I'd still turn off all the filters, as Tekken 3 there, for example, looks a lot better than the game actually did.

t3.png

Not a bad list; I think it's good when writers of these things are confident in their own views...some sites I've written for seem pressured to shout about the games they think their readership want to see listed, rather than express their personal opinion. Luckily, the PlayStation catalogue is so big and diverse that you'd be hard pushed to write an overly predictable list. :omg:

Only thing is, I'd argue that when doing this, you should really try to feature genuine screens. If you're emulating, I'd still turn off all the filters, as Tekken 3 there, for example, looks a lot better than the game actually did.

That always, always bugs me about Retro Gamer magazine - their N64 screens are always taken from an emulator running at an unfeasibly high resolution and sometimes are almost unrecognisable when compared to the original game.

Also, I can't countenance a PS1 top ten without Vagrant Story.

I think a Psone top ten should only contain either exclusive titles or titles that premiered on the PSone as a home machine. The inclusion of Quake2 is odd, as Alien Resurection was so so much better. The others I agree with again apart from Wild Arms, which is good but hardly a pivotal point in the PSone's lifespan

Resident Evil 2 is in there.

Must have skimmed past it. Either way there are lots of great games on the system that fitting just ten in will love out a load of things.

The PS1 has the worst controls ever, so any alternative controls are therefore better.

PC version of THPS2 with a MS Sidewinder Pad was the best though.

My PS1 top ten would likely include

- Gradius Gaiden

- Rakugaki Showtime

- Vib Ribbon

- Einhander

- Silent Bomber

- Castelvania SOTN / Chronicles

and maybe include

- Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

- Street Fighter EX+Alpha

- GTA / London

because despite their flaws I remember finding them very fun indeed.

I loved Rakugaki one player. It had a great play length and lots to master. The characterisation really was clever and very funny (I'll never forget the permenently erractic, drunk father who's regenerating special move was going for a snooze in his own toxic vomit, for example), and it ran much smoother as the real game on an actual PS1.

I didn't tire of it for a long, long time but I may've struggled to fully getto grips with it without a translation guide.