Back to the Future

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...b182YgD9G7MFF80

LOS ANGELES — Telltale Games is going back in time for a new series of video games.

The developer is creating episodic titles based on the "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" franchises. The popular Universal Studios film trilogies spawned several games in their heyday in the '80s and '90s but have been absent from the interactive realm. The as-yet-untitled Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PC and Mac games are set to be released this winter.

"I think it's a prime time to reintroduce these properties in the digital world," said Dan Connors, CEO at Telltale Games. "Telltale Games has always set out to be a great storytelling company. We've been honing our chops over the past six years, and we're ready to take on these two iconic properties and continue to advance storytelling in games."

I was hoping for Lego Back to the Future, but yeah - this'll do.

My only concern is Tell Tale spreading themselves too thin. With this, Jurassic Park, Sam & Max to finish off, another series of Monkey Island, more Wallace and Gromit and (supposedly) another Strong Bad? That's a lot of pointin' and clickin'.

My ideal BttF game would be a full-size, realtime, virtual Hill Valley with one hundred years of NPC routines programmed into it and freedom to go to any point in its history using the Delorean and see / interact with events; perhaps giving you missions like 'find the plutonium' or 'chase Biff through time'. You'd have to be careful where you go, though, because the game would record all your travels and you could potentially run into your past self and cause a paradox, destroying the universe. Maybe some missions would require to be in two places at once and plan accordingly.

That idea is probably both shite and impossible, though.

A point-and-click was my second choice, honest. :)

My ideal BttF game would be a full-size, realtime, virtual Hill Valley with one hundred years of NPC routines programmed into it and freedom to go to any point in its history using the Delorean and see / interact with events; perhaps giving you missions like 'find the plutonium' or 'chase Biff through time'. You'd have to be careful where you go, though, because the game would record all your travels and you could potentially run into your past self and cause a paradox, destroying the universe. Maybe some missions would require to be in two places at once and plan accordingly.

That idea is probably both shite and impossible, though.

I like this idea.

Ive always wanted a decent Jurassic Park game. Some of the previous ones were alright, but just didnt find the atmosphere. An open world JP game could certainly be interesting.

It'd be pretty awesome if they did Back to the Future as well, wouldn't it?

I see it working like the old Amiga/C64 game Time Machine... in that game, you had to make or destroy objects so they persisted over 5 time zones. And things got tricky when changes happened in one zone that affected another.

It's definitely got a lot of potential and I bloody love BttF, but somehow I get the feeling it will just be a bit simplistic. A really crazy time travelling point n clicker could be genius.

Then again, the original load of games were shite anyway, so it can't be worse than those at least.

Sorry to break it to you, but it's based on this.... not the movies

[yt]dWeOqWa3-ZM[/yt]

back_to_the_future_cartoons_on_dvd.jpg

They've done a deal with the Hannah Barbera behind the BTTF cartoons, and this

[yt]-iv82iJ_MT4[/yt]

will be the next one.

Bogus.

These were the best cartoons, you goof.

EDIT: the first series of B&T, anyway. They dumped the excellent theme tune and changed Ted's eyes for the second series (I think?).

Hopefully this game'll let you do stuff like this (skip to 1m 05):

[yt]DZAaKH0FYO8[/yt]

As I said in the Doctor Who adventure game thread: any good time travel game should give you certain things you can change in the past to affect the future, even if it's as straightforward as what was done in Sonic CD. In point and click adventures, I think even the first Discworld game did it to an extent (in the bits where you travel through L-Space, and use the counterwise wine to give Rincewind a hangover on the morning he drank it).

I see it working like the old Amiga/C64 game Time Machine... in that game, you had to make or destroy objects so they persisted over 5 time zones. And things got tricky when changes happened in one zone that affected another.

Or Day of the Tentacle, obv.

These were the best cartoons, you goof.

EDIT: the first series of B&T, anyway. They dumped the excellent theme tune and changed Ted's eyes for the second series (I think?).

Never mind the eyes, it didn't have the original actors in it. You know, that guy off the Matrix. Laurence Fishburne. But it could be worse... it could be the live action TV series...

[yt]Jn8YU5FBZis[/yt]

All together. Bogus.

Never mind the eyes, it didn't have the original actors in it. You know, that guy off the Matrix. Laurence Fishburne. But it could be worse... it could be the live action TV series...

[yt]Jn8YU5FBZis[/yt]

All together. Bogus.

Most heinous.

That was the weird thing about the BttF cartoon, it actually had Christopher Lloyd doing Doc's voice.

It had live-action segments with Christopher Lloyd, but I think the cartoon voice was Dan Castellaneta.

It had live-action segments with Christopher Lloyd, but I think the cartoon voice was Dan Castellaneta.

I just imdb'd it, you're right, bloody good impression to my youthful ears though, I totally thought it was him... I'm sure if I saw an ep now it would be obvious...

Or maybe my memory is just that shoddy, I got confused with the live action bits.

Michael J Fox currently moves at about 82 FPS - no console can handle that so don't expect a motion captured character model.

Lego Back To The Future couldn't really work as Marty McFly doesn't shoot anyone (there's guns in III), he just does that Hollywood haymaker punch to Biff's jaw. I have no idea how you could make a successful game out of the film as most of the plot revolves around not changing something in the past that'll effect the future - it'd have to be puzzle based with the odd chase on a skateboard thrown in.

Lego Rambo would work but Lego Back To The Future wouldn't. I want Lego Rambo - that'd be so amazingly awesome I'd probably wet my pants.