IGNORED

FIFA 11

Bleeders

Eurogamer article says you can in this year's version. What I want to see is more than 3 pisspoor highlights per half.

The PS3 version allows LOADS of replays. It's just the 360 version; perhaps the PS3 saves some data to a swap file/temporary memory on the hard disk. I do believe that MS do not allow that.

*edit* although you could have lots of replays on Sensi, so why not FIFA. And you could save em :(

Personally I think the AI needs a bit re-work. The AI teams play in a very similar way and they are always too predictable.

Plus the old problem of playing very good teams = they stay high up the pitch and you can batter them on the break vs very poor teams = really, really hard to break down. There's a bit disparity between the two.

Also interesting to see that FIFA 10 effectively hinged around a few key attributes. An easy admission to make once you've sold FIFA 10 on.

Doesn't sound like much is coming across from the World Cup version. I hope they keep some sort of local 4-player BAP mode though, as Captain Your Country is amazing with four players round one 360.

Conversely, I don't care about this. If you're good enough then you can find a strategy to combat the discrepancies between the top & bottom players' respective strength & speed abilities. I'd find it more frustrating to have more realistic representations of players' skills, for example weaker players failing to find feet with passes, or having ridiculously bad first touches.

Although a good player can get around it, lowly teams shouldn't be unrealistically nerfed like this. If a player is fast then he should be fast. If he's slow, he should be slow, with his qualities coming through in other ways.

A balance needs struck, too. A realistic representation isn't going to be much fun, not least because having most games finish 0-0 thanks to a lack of chances being created in 14 minutes of football isn't fun, but also as you say it'd be frustrating if players were unable to do what we'd regard as the basics, whatever their level. On the other hand, having players unable to do what they're actually capable of is similarly frustrating.

The news in the Eurogamer preview seems rather positive though, particularly around the passing areas and the need for composure. The more ways we can differentiate between players and make them useful in their own individual ways, the better. What's needed now though is a revamp of how you view player attributes, because one long list of numbers is utterly terrible.

Doesn't sound like much is coming across from the World Cup version. I hope they keep some sort of local 4-player BAP mode though, as Captain Your Country is amazing with four players round one 360.

I would really like to see co-op BaP online. Where you can team up with a mate and campaign against the computer. And even co-op manager mode. And versus manager mode :D:(

It's GREAT for running down the pitch and stuff. But the entire game is so completely balanced on the side of passing that it's essentially almost impossible to dribble passed anyone convincingly. And that is the single biggest part I miss from my Pro Evo days. Pro Evo was all about timing the turn from the offensive and timing the 'X' tackle from the defensive. In Fifa, holding the 'X' tackle is SO effective that I've made many tackles coming in off screen.

(And I really don't want to hear about any trick stick bollocks, because that's the least user friendly interface I've ever used and I've won many games tackling idiots who use it all the time online.)

I'm sorry, but it's very easy to get past players, without the use of the right stick.

One way is to shield the ball using the R trigger, then turn the defender as he goes for the tackle.

Another is with change of pace. Stand still to sprint used well will beat all but the best defenders. Try using the foot on ball move as well, defenders can be taken out of the equation with their momentum alone.

If they made it any easier to get past defenders it'd be stupid.

I'd still like an on-screen cursor to show where you are aiming a pass.

Just a little 'clockface' type cursor around the player to give a bit more feedback. It'd make the manual passing actually usable for a start.

The PS3 version allows LOADS of replays. It's just the 360 version; perhaps the PS3 saves some data to a swap file/temporary memory on the hard disk. I do believe that MS do not allow that.

*edit* although you could have lots of replays on Sensi, so why not FIFA. And you could save em :(

I think its to do with the fact the PS3 has a HDD as standard.

The EG preview concerns me a little when they talk about ping pong passing and adding error to the passes. Passing was lovely and Crisp in 09 but seems a little borked in 10 with a small number of passes simply not going in the direction you pressed (as in the completely different direction). I have a suspicion this was to do with the 360 dribbling so hopefully they will refined this in 11

I think it's just that after all this time they still have to cater for people without an HDD.

Another is with change of pace. Standstill to sprint used well will beat all but the best defenders. Try using the stand on ball move as well, defenders can be taken out of the equation with their momentum alone.

Yes I use these a lot and they certainly work. I'd like the trick stick thing to work a bit better though. At the moment you can't receive the ball and go straight into a trick, you have to take a 'normal' touch first which makes the whole thing rather pointless. As soon as I press LB or whatever I want to be straight into trick mode, even if I press the button before the ball arrives.

I'd still like an on-screen cursor to show where you are aiming a pass.

Just a little 'clockface' type cursor around the player to give a bit more feedback. It'd make the manual passing actually usable for a start.

Fantastic idea.

It's a difficult balancing act, in terms of first touches. I remember being frustrated with previous FIFAs (08, for example) when I'd deliver an easy pass to an attacker and his first touch would often be so heavy that it went straight to a defender. It's a particular problem with lower league teams.

Playing a match with a friend using anything other than Prem teams just isn't as fun. I can see the difficulties the devs must have in getting the balance of skills right - and certainly some lower league matches really are just a punt-fest in real life - but there's something just a little off at the mo.

I'm sorry, but it's very easy to get past players, without the use of the right stick.

One way is to shield the ball using the R trigger, then turn the defender as he goes for the tackle.

Another is with change of pace. Stand still to sprint used well will beat all but the best defenders. Try using the foot on ball move as well, defenders can be taken out of the equation with their momentum alone.

If they made it any easier to get past defenders it'd be stupid.

Rubbish. I say RUBBISH. To the point that I throw the gauntlet down and ask you to demonstrate said skills.

But, before you do, I have another idea. Find me some example replays online of a player doing three or more players before going on to score. I DARE YOU.

Another vote here for the dribbling being top. Even without the trick stick its possible to take people on, just because you cant waltz through a team like Messi anytime of asking, it doesnt mean its broken. It requires a little bit of skill to master but its hardly splitting atoms.

Something that doesn't need that much of a tweeking at all for me.

Let's hope so.

Bad passing due to the player stats is fine. The game not interrupting your intention correctly isn't.

There is a current way around that :D:(

I kid, I kid, I agree with you about better visual aims.

I suppose it's too much to ask for Ultimate Team to be included at launch, rather than six months later!

However, assuming we do get FIFA 11 Ultimate Team I would like to see the option included to play against people on your friends list, rather than randoms. I appreciate that they don't offer the option currently as it could be open to abuse and cheating for people to build up coins, so why not include a "Friendly" option where you don't earn coins and conversely don't lose contracts, etc.?

Cheers,

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FIFA 11 First Look Tour happening from July 20-23, chaps.

It's divided into 12pm-4pm and 4pm-8pm slots and takes place in London, Glasgow, Manchester and Reading.

You can book a slot through the Gamerbase website.

Oh, game is released on 1st October 2010.

EDIT - Stuck my name down for a London slot @ 4pm-8pm. :facepalm: