Shogun II: Total War

tcharliel

• 1 month later...

All looks great so far. My only hope is that they rein in the campaign mode's complexity slightly, or improve the interface.

My last experience of Total War was Medieval II, and whilst I enjoyed the campaign mode, I felt this to be the game's main weakness. Playing as England, it was fine in the early period during which I went to war with Scotland and several close by nations, but the problem was once I had 20+ cities under my control, along with diplomacy, managing my family line, keeping the Papacy happy, taking part in the crusades, all the while trying to develop firearms and cannons as fast as possible, the interface seemed to get very unwieldy.

All looks great so far. My only hope is that they rein in the campaign mode's complexity slightly, or improve the interface.

My last experience of Total War was Medieval II, and whilst I enjoyed the campaign mode, I felt this to be the game's main weakness. Playing as England, it was fine in the early period during which I went to war with Scotland and several close by nations, but the problem was once I had 20+ cities under my control, along with diplomacy, managing my family line, keeping the Papacy happy, taking part in the crusades, all the while trying to develop firearms and cannons as fast as possible, the interface seemed to get very unwieldy.

Well, they made diplomacy a lot easier for Empire and Napoleon already: no need for diplomats any more, there's a dedicated diplomacy screen.

Well, they made diplomacy a lot easier for Empire and Napoleon already: no need for diplomats any more, there's a dedicated diplomacy screen.

Everything else on the campaign map is significantly more involved than Medieval II, though. I'm still struggling to get to grips with Empire. Having to manage every little settlement and mine is doing my head in, and the enemy always ends up running rampant across my land with a hundred tiny stacks that I can't keep track of. I need to master the art of using the zone of control to keep them out of key areas, but it's such a shift in thinking that I can't quite grasp it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't played a Total War since the first Shogun (or maybe the Spartan action game actually...) but when I shell out for a new PC, this is definitely one of the first things I'm picking up. I still play Shogun I from time to time and it still holds up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...