IGNORED

Shogun II: Total War

tcharliel

Yes, brilliant news. I play Total War largely for the historical detail and flavour so the prospect of playing a whole new period of history that I know nothing about is tantalising. (The original Shogun is the only Total War I've never played).

I admire Creative Assembly's work rate, too. They release a game or an expansion every year without fail. There's always new Total War to play or look forward to. Hopefully they'll actually finish this one before shipping it.

This is just what I'd hoped for.

The "no gunpowder" thing they mentioned prior to announcing the title threw me though. There were firearms in the latter stages of the original shogun.

I'd hope they were still in this one, too, as they play a massive part in the shaping of warfare in feudal Japan. Of course that's true of every theatre in the world at the time, but the arrival of gunpowder to "shogun" Japan seems somehow more poignant, with it being a death knell for the samurai code...

Despite wanting to, I never did truly click with Empire, and it's because of gunpowder. Yet, here I am, harping on about it needing to be in Shogun 2...! :( A late, and limited usage of gunpowder to spice things up nicely.

The "no gunpowder" thing they mentioned prior to announcing the title threw me though. There were firearms in the latter stages of the original shogun.

I'd hope they were still in this one, too, as they play a massive part in the shaping of warfare in feudal Japan. Of course that's true of every theatre in the world at the time, but the arrival of gunpowder to "shogun" Japan seems somehow more poignant, with it being a death knell for the samurai code...

Despite wanting to, I never did truly click with Empire, and it's because of gunpowder. Yet, here I am, harping on about it needing to be in Shogun 2...! :( A late, and limited usage of gunpowder to spice things up nicely.

It depends on the period in which it's set. It was during the Sengoku period that firearms were beginning to be used in battles and it was at the battle of Nagashino that they were first used effectively and as a major part of the battle tactics. If Shogun 2 is set before that, for example during the Kamakura period when the first Shogun rose to power (the title 'shogun' itself existed long before that, but the title being used by the de facto ruler of Japan didn't happen until 1192) Of course, imho the Sengoku period for a more interesting setting for this kind of game.

It depends on the period in which it's set. It was during the Sengoku period that firearms were beginning to be used in battles and it was at the battle of Nagashino that they were first used effectively and as a major part of the battle tactics. If Shogun 2 is set before that, for example during the Kamakura period when the first Shogun rose to power (the title 'shogun' itself existed long before that, but the title being used by the de facto ruler of Japan didn't happen until 1192) Of course, imho the Sengoku period for a more interesting setting for this kind of game.

The IGN first look mentions that once again the Portuguese and Dutch will be involved, providing firearms.

Can't wait for this the original was great. I was a bit worried that they'd end up doing a WW1/2 version, which would have to move away from the large formation fighting.

Bit surprised they haven't done a Three Kingdoms version

If they don't have gunpowder does that mean you won't be buying guns from poorly voiced Dutch and Spanish traders? :D

Well, the Dutch anyway - who ever bought guns from the Spanish? The Spanish wanted money AND for you to all become bloody Catholics! The Dutch just turned up and went "Greetingsh! I brung ward from my kingsh, Willyim of OorANje! You wint to buy gunsh, hey? Letsh call it 20 Euros, ok?" or something like that. Man, I loved the VO in Shogun.

"My Lord, your men have taken the head of the enemy Daimyo!" :)

Edit:

The IGN first look mentions that once again the Portuguese and Dutch will be involved, providing firearms.

Hooray! :)

I just pray that they return to the Risk-style board or at the very least provide the option of it.

I'm in two minds on this one. I loved the Risk-style board and was gutted when they dropped it for Rome onwards. But now, with Empire and Napoleon, the campaign map has evolved into a thing of beauty and surprising complexity. For the first time I think the games could stand on their own as turn-based affairs without the real-time battles, it's that good. So they need some kind of compromise solution.

If they don't have gunpowder does that mean you won't be buying guns from poorly voiced Dutch and Spanish traders? :)

Well, the Dutch anyway - who ever bought guns from the Spanish? The Spanish wanted money AND for you to all become bloody Catholics! The Dutch just turned up and went "Greetingsh! I brung ward from my kingsh, Willyim of OorANje! You wint to buy gunsh, hey? Letsh call it 20 Euros, ok?" or something like that. Man, I loved the VO in Shogun.

"My Lord, your men have taken the head of the enemy Daimyo!" :(

Edit:

Hooray! :)

Medieval 1 had the best voice acting. Sean Pertwee calling the enemy general a whoreson!

The original was brilliant, so hopefully this'll be good too. I just pray that they return to the Risk-style board or at the very least provide the option of it.

THIS

I went majorly off Total War as a franchise when they ditched the boardgamey feel of the world view.

If they don't have gunpowder does that mean you won't be buying guns from poorly voiced Dutch and Spanish traders? :hat:

For some reason, I remember the traders from Shogun being from England and Portugal, specifically? Wasn't it random which nation would turn up first?

I did laugh the first time one of them turned up and addressed me as "Large Lord", to show that his Japanese was a bit rubbish.

Ahh, the only thing that could top Shogun II for me would have been a good fantasy one...even with stereotypes.

Loved the original but strangely never got around to actually finishing it. My favorite aspect was the 'map gameplay' though so I skipped as much real time battles as possible. Not that they were bad or anything, just saying. Can't wait for the sequel!

I'm fucking excited :omg:

Tempered by the fact that I'm fully aware that I'm not going to get to play the sodding game until at least a year after its release; probably two. Damn the Creative Assembly and their ever-high system requirements :lol:

I'm fucking excited :omg:

Tempered by the fact that I'm fully aware that I'm not going to get to play the sodding game until at least a year after its release; probably two. Damn the Creative Assembly and their ever-high system requirements :lol:

With any luck they'll have seen sense and (ideally) reeled the requirements back a bit from those of Empire.

Unfortunately though they probably won't, which is potentially annoying, as if I can run this decently it'll be the first new PC game I've bought since Portal.

Ooh, loving the unit selection icons!*

Not so much the fact the graphics tell me it will not be running on any PC of mine for a few years.

*which do, in fact, make me wonder how gorgeous the game might look if it were fully stylized, not just its UI...

• 1 month later...