The random discussion thread

I played a fair bit of H1Z1 battle royale at the weekend, and I really rather like it. It doesn't look that impressive (the display for me had Brightness at default a "0" - raising this to 50 makes a world of difference btw) but it plays an excellent game. The only downsides to it imo are that on Duos and Squads, when a team-mate dies they die - no "going down" and being able to be revived. That's a bit of a shame. But the gunplay is good, sniping isn't too OP, and I like the military crate find/reward mechanic (essentially rewards you to keep searching the environment/buildings for crates, or looting dropped crates Fortnite-style).

I also like the way in which you kill players and if they had a skin/cosmetic item equipped you can loot it from them and then it's in your inventory. Reminds me of the dog tag system in MW2.

I played a fair amount of 1 player matches and I much prefer the gunplay to Fortnite. Strategically using cover, flanking and getting used to quickly using grenades I'd deffo recommend. No risk of somebody just building above you and dropping down onto you. Also nabbing a vehicle (preferably not a buggy) early doors, getting a rifle and using prone when you hear a vehicle I'd also recommend. It's very hard to spot you prone and is essential at the end game if the circle is in an open area. I got three 2nd place finishes, gonna keep at it for that elusive win...

14 hours ago, sjvinnie said:

First attempt at a video, appreciate any tips on editing etc to improve for future vids:

thanks 

Got a bit carried away so it’s to long- will keep it down to 5 or so minutes for future videos.

14 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

I've tried to play this 7 times and not once have I got in!! Really wanna try this out <_<

Brilliant vid vinnie

5 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Quality vid Vin, some insane kills in there tbf! Sniper is quite rare in H1Z1, only had it once from a crate, and only killed once by it in-game.

Thanks lads, 

still keen to give h1z1 another go so drop me an invite next time your on. 

Not sure where else to look for this. I'm organising a gaming event in my town in a few weeks and I need a rule list for a fifa 18 tournament. 

This seems pretty legit but it's also very precise at the same time:
http://powerleaguegaming.com/plg-ea-sports-fifa-18-rules-regulations/?lang=en
Should I just pick and choose bits from there?
Also is a double elimination bracket a legit format for fifa tournaments or should I just do straight knock out?

On 04/06/2018 at 23:00, Dig Dug said:

Not sure where else to look for this. I'm organising a gaming event in my town in a few weeks and I need a rule list for a fifa 18 tournament. 

This seems pretty legit but it's also very precise at the same time:
http://powerleaguegaming.com/plg-ea-sports-fifa-18-rules-regulations/?lang=en
Should I just pick and choose bits from there?
Also is a double elimination bracket a legit format for fifa tournaments or should I just do straight knock out?

Looks good to me, good luck.

Straight knockout is the quickest way to whittle people down but also they might to play more than 1 game, so a group then knock out might work best. Depends on your numbers really.

2 minutes ago, sjvinnie said:

Finished another video today- mixed it up and kept it shorter than the last (thanks for the advice on the last one!!) 

if you get a chance have a look- again any feedback welcome :) 

WORLD CUP DAY EVERYONE WOOOOOOOOOO!

Hey, are you a massive football fan? Are you super crazy excited about the world cup? Do you have world cup fever to the extent that you yearn to dive into a great football video game, but you despise the state for Fifa and you just can't get on with Pro Evo?

Well Football Manager 18 is on sale on Steam for £12.92 for the next two days.

It's well worth it for that price - especially as it;s a game you can play while watching an actual world cup match.

Plus, if anyone hasn't ever played it, or hasn't played it for years, I'd be more than happy to do a quick walkthrough for you.

6 hours ago, Baring said:

Which console?

Steam you fool. That's PC and Macs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/624090/Football_Manager_2018/

But it runs ok on crappy laptops.

Min spec:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core or AMD Athlon – 2.2 GHz +

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB 

Building is a killer at the end like.

I can defend ok with it just firing up loads up walls but no way can i make a quick tower or box to compete.

Be interesting to see what they do, i think its going to be a resource limit.

8 minutes ago, Steely said:

I'm a fucking mess at this game.

I shoot someone, they throw up a fort with 3 ensuite bathrooms. Someone shoots me  and I build some nice laminate flooring to lay down and die on. :(

I don’t play Fortnite although I have a rough idea how it works and this is just fucking brilliant Steely! :lol:

Aye the end game is a bit naff.

It's all about dexterity, rather than precision or reflexes as in most shooters. I'm terrible at fighting games but this is the closest thing to it in the shooter genre for that kind of skill. H1Z1 isn't much better either though; interactions are really janky and the end-game is just cars doing donuts because they have near unlimited fuel and can soak up a lot of damage.

This sounds promising, I might jump back on to give it a try. TBH one of the main reasons I stopped playing Fortnite aside from the fact none of us could build anything quick enough, but because it was absorbing entire evenings away, quite literally a time sink :lol:. Can't argue with your complaints about H1Z1 either smith, it was just a bit too rough and ready in the end for my liking - agreed about the car combat at the end, also the complete absence of rifles on the floor was also a killer, far few too weapon types to keep the combat fresh.

Boy, we eating chicken dinner tonight...

Bagged myself first place, gets half decent from 12:15. Hip firing the shotgun and the lack of recoil on sniper rifles is way over powered. The game is a mad dash to find those weapons quickest and then get a decent position. 

1 hour ago, Pants McSkill said:

Football Manager 2018 is back down to a shade under £13 in the Steam Summer sale, which I need to mention because most of you lot don't have it.

It's fucking brilliant and I'm genuinely baffled as to why more of this sub don't play it, you nob ends.

Woah woah woah, I have the Steam version and the Switch version, I ain't buying it again :D

I normally get the urge to play it again every couple of years, I stick with it for a few weeks and get really invested. Then I remember that I am absolutely terrible at it and no amount of guidance has helped me improve.

Also, these days, I just have a lot less time :(

1 hour ago, Pants McSkill said:

Football Manager 2018 is back down to a shade under £13 in the Steam Summer sale, which I need to mention because most of you lot don't have it.

It's fucking brilliant and I'm genuinely baffled as to why more of this sub don't play it, you nob ends.

Is it on PS4 or Xbox?

30 minutes ago, smithstock said:

I normally get the urge to play it again every couple of years, I stick with it for a few weeks and get really invested. Then I remember that I am absolutely terrible at it and no amount of guidance has helped me improve.

Also, these days, I just have a lot less time :(

I'll show you some stuff! Knowing the basics well is all you need to win titles... eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Baring said:

Is it on PS4 or Xbox?

That's the PC/Mac version. But there's a not-very scaled down version (which is still the core game engine) available on Switch and on Tablets.