The random discussion thread

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly why I'm a bit excited about it, the building is so integral to Fortnite but I just don't think it's for me. Speed builders are ten a penny, hats off to them they're very good at it, I just want a BR game with just the guns, on PS4. So well up for this. Cheers charlie for the link, I've signed up. If I don't get into the Closed Beta then I'm all in for the Open Beta.

I still plan to get FIFA 19 Hogg so maybe we can reconvene for Clubs games in September. If it's trash I'll get rid soon after again, no loss because it retains it's price pretty well. I'm done with '18 though, genuinely not missed it at all since I binned it, how people have the patience for it I just don't know. Have played some other great games I probably wouldn't have had the time for otherwise.

Hopefully H1Z1 will be a decent Battle Royale game we can all get on with!

• 2 weeks later...

It's that time again where I recommend a sports game that might go amiss:

Super Mega Baseball 2 - I have the first one, got it for a couple of quid, and it's great but it doesn't have online multiplayer. This one does! It's got a tonne of player customisation, the mechanics are good and they've added some more systems to make the gameplay deeper, especially for tracking player form and fitness over multiple games.

Also a special mention for Blood Bowl 2 if anyone picks that up cheap. it's basically turn-based American Football with gore.

I managed to get on last night but for some reason had real trouble getting my R2 button to actually shoot. Turns out it may be a problem some games have with the original PS4 pads.

From what I played it seemed okay, not as polished as Fortnite but definitely has potential. Vehicles and 5 man squads being the main plus points.

I had a couple of rounds earlier...

I much prefer it to Fortnite for the gunplay alone; the lack of base building adds more emphasis on precision and reflex skill. Guns feel weightier, there's good feedback for impact and TTK is good too. It's also nice that gunplay transitions to first person like R6 Vegas. The visual style, whilst pretty generic, I prefer to Fortnite's gimmicky approach too but the car handling and UI is pretty clunky throughout.

Both games have been around for donkey's years though, there's no excuse for either to not be pretty polished by this stage. That's why I think, if they get it right, Black Ops 4 will blow both out of the water. At least until PUBG heads to PS4.

Battlefield already is Battle Royale pretty much, in terms of scale at least. The issue with Battlefield is having people/obstacles in close proximity (it's been a staple issue from BC2 and the COD rip off maps didn't work well for the BF4 DLC) and looting items (you normally rely on others for auto-pickups or chest high interactions). Those would be two major changes to a franchise not accustomed to that kind of experience.

There's no game on console that even comes close to COD's tactile gunplay though, I can't see them dropping the 60 fps benchmark either which would be pretty impressive at that scale online.

Be good to see what they both come up with...