The random discussion thread

Bloodborne is one of the best single player experiences on PS4. Get it. I would add that in true Souls style the first boss can be quite the "brutal" introduction.

If anyone fancies giving it a bash I would happily utilise the PS+ promotion to join them in a co-op wrecking spree.

Done! Bloodborne comes on tomorrow, grab it mate, create your character and try to play the first 2-3 hours yourself, getting to grips with it. It's quite a gentle intro level if I remember correctly. If you're having trouble though with the pre-boss area let me know I'll pop on and teach you the basics. I'll be online Wednesday eve this week too.

I still have it digital and never finished it. I got to a point about 6 or 7 bosses in where every path had something that made me go “Nah, fuck that!” and then I no doubt got distracted by a new release. Would love to get back into it but it would be even harder than when I first started as I would be trying to relearn timings, etc. While all the enemies would be on ‘mid-game come here tae a fucken murder you in one hit’ mode :lol:

54 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Haha, have you played Dark Souls 3 Mards? For me it's the toughest one (aside from Dark Souls 1 as newbie of course).

I did mate, although once again I never finished it due to much the same reasons as Bloodborne. I agree it is probably harder once you get about half way through. I remember having an internal conversation with myself one night that went something like this...

"Paul, are you seriously enjoying this?!"

"Of course I am, its looks amazing and I am getting really good with this sword shield combo"

"Shut the fuck up ya dick, this big tree has fucked you up the arse almost 40 times now"

"Yeah, but I know how to get it to its 2nd version now and then I will use my bo..."

"You're an arsehole... fire up FIFA to we see if we have enough coins to afford Christian Benteke yet!!"

"Ok, but I'm going back to finish off that tree tomorrow"

"Sure, whatever you say mate!"

I did eventually get past that tree but every boss encounter after that went down the same story until I was broken! :(

Haha, such beautiful raw Dark Souls truths. I had trouble with that tree too, stupid postules on its body were hard to reach. The trek to get to it isn't that much fun either, through that swamps with the big crabs.

The great thing about the Souls games is how the game really does try to stop you at every hurdle (in everything except controls and mechanics, which are spot on) so mistakes you make are very much your mistakes, not the games. That and the excellent bosses. I always hated bosses in games until the Souls games came along. Everyone is different, offers a different challenge. In Bloodborne I remember there was a big furore about a boss further on in the game - Vicar Amelia I think it was called? Yeah I did her first attempt. Easy peasy. Yet people in the Discussion thread go on about her being the hardest boss in the game. Conversely, the very first boss which people seemed to have no trouble with took me a good 6 or 7 attempts :hat:

TLDR: is gud game play it ok.

31 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Gun?! You have a gun?!!

First thing to do @AlfromSleep is to tell yourself it is not a gun. It is a tool for attempting parry moves, if you ever decide you are brave enough. It is not and should never be used like a fucking gun!

Thats me told! I wondered why the blunderbuss didn’t seem very effective :D

If I remember right the main configuration I was using before the Forbidden Woods crushed my heart and soul didnt even have a gun and instead was a two handed melee weapon. Holy Blade or something it was called. My skinny wee dude dragged that thing about like it was Mjolnir and he was only 20% worthy but fuck me if it didn't cause some hefty damage!

I am totally getting back into BB tonight lads :facepalm:

Well @AlfromSleep @Jamin I fired up BB last night after more than a year away from it. Actually had to re-download it after getting rid of it in the great clearout of August 2017. But do you know how fucking brutal this game is. I will tell you. When I re-started it greeted me with the notification that the game was not switched off properly the last time I played. I need to be careful of this in the future. No bother. The best bit though, I hit continue game, it loads up and after roughly 15 seconds of loading screen I get to watch my character crumple and evaporate. YOU DIED. Dead. Dead already. I hadn't even so much as worked out where the fuck I was standing and I was dead.

Stop playing now Al. STOP!!!!

Actually quite impressed that it remembered my last action was to switch the game off in a combination of rage and fear just as I had been murdered :lol: played for an hour or so after that just generally exploring to get my bearings again and work out weapon stats, moves, enemies, etc. Still need to get my head back around all the character and weapon stats but I currently deep in the Forbidden Woods, I have unlocked a couple of short cuts (result!) and everything that moves can kill me very quickly. Standard BB!

20 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

I'm in a state of disbelief to be quite honest @MardiganX. For someone to have studied at the dojo of DMC3 and not have finished Bloodborne is actually a criminal offence in some countries (probably not, but still...).

This oversight needs to be corrected.

Mate, back in the day I could destroy final Vergil in under 60 seconds using Royal Guard without taking a hit. This though. This is different. Where DMC3 rewarded you for perfect timing, style and over the top moves BB will just wait until you think you are doing something cool and slit your fucking throat. I am getting back into it though. I only have SoTC and odd Ultimate Team game on the go right now so I need to remedy this!

What BB and all DS games do though is put this weight and worry on you the further you progress. Not even progress actually, the further you simply venture away from a lantern. A fucking lantern becomes the most sacred thing you will ever see and a new undiscovered one? Fuck me, that's like scoring the winner in a BAP league decider. Progression and achievement are measured in vastly different ways. Where DMC3 was about perfecting the system and abusing it, BB is about simply learning how to survive.

To be fair if I put as much time into any game as I did with DMC3 I would most likely beat any boss easily so I just need to get really focussed on it again. Oh and my character is currently rocking a +5 Blunderbuss and +6 Ludwigs Holy Blade. Apart from the cleaver I have yet to find anything that comes close to that combination. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey strangers! 

Hope everyone is good. 

I'm loving Fortnite at the minute, but would really like to try some Duo or Squad based games! 

Let me know if anyone fancies some games tonight / tomoz. Or add me on PSN RickyDVT

Not sure if anyone here is picking it up but there’s a bunch of us jumping on Sea of Thieves from tomorrow. I’m getting the Windows 10 version myself (you need a half decent spec PC) but it’s also cross-network play for those on Xbone.

Drop me a ping if you fancy jumping in a crew. 

Played a bit more Bloodborne this week, that Father Gascoigne is a right pain in ass! Still not killed him despite trying all the tips online like the tiny music box. I must just be too shit for this game!

edit: Finally beat the bastard! Only took about 15 tries in total!

Nice work Al! FG can also be cheesed a bit as sometimes he gets stuck behind one or two of the gravestones. Can't remember the next boss, it might be BSB (non spoilers acronym there) which is a great fight. Lemme know if you/anyone needs a hand with something Bloodborne-y, I haven't restarted yet but the beginning I can happily blitz through.

Cheers @Jamin, will give you a shout if I get stuck again. I’d farmed loads of blood echoes to be able to level up to 18 which seemed to give me that bit extra power to beat him. I used the graves to good effect along with the music box. Proper fist pump moment when he finally went down for the count!