IGNORED

REPLAY

memories

Some more details announces, name has been changed to "Play Expo" and the location is at EventCity next to the Trafford centre.

The name change makes me wonder if they are moving away from the mainly retro slant that it has had in the past. Can't comment on the location as I don't have a clue about Manchester.

Info below is from the Replay newsletter......

BIG NEWS! We can finally announce the dates, location and new name for our main expo in 2012. We are very pleased to reveal that the show formerly known as Replay will now be called Play Expo.

Play Expo will take place on 13th and 14th October 2012 at Manchester's EventCity, right next door to the immensely popular Trafford Centre.

Whilst we are of course sad to move away from Blackpool, we have outgrown our previous venue and simply couldn't find a suitable nearby alternative that was available during our required timeframe.

EventCity was chosen as it has the space, access and facilities that we need, whilst also offering a number of benefits to attendees such as a more central location, good rail and motorway links and up to 3000 FREE car parking spaces (with plenty more available within the Trafford Centre itself). The new venue also gives us lots of space for more games, consoles, computers, arcade and pinball machines, tournaments, entertainment and plenty of other features.

The Play Expo website will launch in the next few weeks and as always, subscribers to the Replay Gamer newsletter will be the first to know when tickets are available.

We are also giving you the opportunity to provide input into the show by taking some time to answer our questionnaire. Everyone who participates will be entered into our draw for a pair of Play Expo tickets and an exclusive brochure from the recent BAFTA Video Games Awards!

I had my works Xmas party at Event City. Its a MASSIVE venue!

Good to hear, hopefully bigger is better.

Two things... More room means more retro according to the organisers. And maybe a new thread is in order?

Yeah, was thinking of getting the mods to move this into discussion and renaming.

Some more details announces, name has been changed to "Play Expo" and the location is at EventCity next to the Trafford centre.

The name change makes me wonder if they are moving away from the mainly retro slant that it has had in the past. Can't comment on the location as I don't have a clue about Manchester.

Info below is from the Replay newsletter......

BIG NEWS! We can finally announce the dates, location and new name for our main expo in 2012. We are very pleased to reveal that the show formerly known as Replay will now be called Play Expo.

Play Expo will take place on 13th and 14th October 2012 at Manchester's EventCity, right next door to the immensely popular Trafford Centre.

Whilst we are of course sad to move away from Blackpool, we have outgrown our previous venue and simply couldn't find a suitable nearby alternative that was available during our required timeframe.

EventCity was chosen as it has the space, access and facilities that we need, whilst also offering a number of benefits to attendees such as a more central location, good rail and motorway links and up to 3000 FREE car parking spaces (with plenty more available within the Trafford Centre itself). The new venue also gives us lots of space for more games, consoles, computers, arcade and pinball machines, tournaments, entertainment and plenty of other features.

The Play Expo website will launch in the next few weeks and as always, subscribers to the Replay Gamer newsletter will be the first to know when tickets are available.

We are also giving you the opportunity to provide input into the show by taking some time to answer our questionnaire. Everyone who participates will be entered into our draw for a pair of Play Expo tickets and an exclusive brochure from the recent BAFTA Video Games Awards!

Hmmm.. that sounds like it's going to be much bigger than a retro event. Which means tournaments and all that crap. But I suppose it means more sponsorship/interest- if they're moving to a bigger venue, then the focus (I'd imagine) isn't going to be retro in order to get that many people along. I hope it doesn't lose the atmosphere, yeah Replay was smaller (although a lot bigger than I thought) but I liked the fact you could just chat to various people. Like Bob Wakelin or the bearded one with the Yak fixation.

I'd like to see more of that, please and less of Street Fighter IV.

• 6 months later...

Anyone else signed up to this years event? It's this weekend! (13th/14th Oct)

Looks like there will be 70+ video cabs, 70+ pinball machines, the usual selection of every console & computer ever released (including the Wii-U),

Competitive gaming (cash tournaments on SF2, MW etc) and Cosplay are getting a bit more prominence this year.

I meant to bump this up as a reminder a couple of weeks ago. Left it a bit late now, think the official ticket sellers close up shop on Tuesday, so don't delay if you're after advance tickets!

Yeah, me and a friend are going and I'm really looking forward to it although, like moora said, I'm not so keen on the idea of there being all sorts of other non-retro related stuff going on. :wacko:

I thought the seminar/conference/chat things (what's the right word for those?) were awesome last year so I'm really keen on not missing a single one this year.

Fingers crossed they'll have Rainbow Islands hooked up to the projector again - was a real buzz getting the high score with loads of people stood round watching.

Cheers...

If the event was only retro then I'd go along, but it's the non retro stuff that puts me off.

I've been along to Gamescon (or whatever it's called) in Germany a few times over the past few years, and that's really put me off non retro related events. The place is full of teenagers on the lookout for freebies, loads of queues and it's a job to get anywhere.

It'll probably be different at Replay, but unless it's a dedicated retro event I'm not sure if I'll go to this or future ones.

Im heading down again just for the Saturday, there is a thread in Discussion I've been updating but not as much as I should have, its under the title Play Expo.

Im interested to see the new stuff, im hoping that its a case of "bigger and better" this year and it doesnt take anythign away from the Retro side, time will tell though.

REALLY wanted to make it this year, but the combination of Wedding Anniversary. Wifes Birthday and little one coming down with Chickenpox has well and truly scuppered those plans....Gutted!

Oh well maybe next year :(

Is it always around the same date?