Should I? The Sopranos

Rayn

And if you watch loads of episodes at a time and speed through to the

CGI Livia, you'll notice everything she says is soundbites from previous episodes. Sounds obvious, but you really notice. Kinda jarring.

I don't really get people who say some episodes were boring, or certain seasons were weaker. I watched it again recently and all of it is amazing. I didn't really pay attention to the gaps in seasons (as I watched all six in a big chunk). Maybe I would have noticed peaks and troughs if I watched them sporadically.

I love The Wire, but there's something about The Sopranos. It's more surreal, which I love: the dreams - and the episodes centred around them - always fascinated me.

There's this one scene in season five, I think - a dream-centric episode - where, at the end, Tony lies on the bed in a hotel watching the sun rise talking to Carmella on the phone. Asking her if she sees the sunrise yet, etc. It's probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen on film.

I love The Wire, but there's something about The Sopranos. It's more surreal, which I love: the dreams - and the episodes centred around them - always fascinated me.

There's this one scene in season five, I think - a dream-centric episode - where, at the end, Tony lies on the bed in a hotel watching the sun rise talking to Carmella on the phone. Asking her if she sees the sunrise yet, etc. It's probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen on film.

The dreams are brilliant. And yes, that moment too. "Is it light where you are yet?"

The Sopranos is all kinds of awesome, I'm still waiting to see season 6 because blockbuster are useless bunch of twats. It's been at the top of my list for 2 months :eyebrows:

If they don't start coming soon I'm going to have to buy it, I've had a 2 month Soprano drought

You're totally right but I grouped them together like that because they're written and filmed so similarly, Treme almost feels like a sequel despite the vastly different setting and themes. It could fade of course but everything points to it getting better, sadly something I couldn't see happening with The Sopranos. With everyone in here loving it though I'm going to watch season 2 soon and hope it gets me hooked.

That's fair, Treme is really starting to feel like The Wire in parts. It almost is a sequel I feel, all the elements are still in place, but transplanting new characters and a new setting. If The Sopranos really doesn't grab you, try Mad Men :(

I'm wondering if there's any point in waiting for Blu-Rays of this showing up. Surely they'd just be upscaled, except for season 6?

Season 1 is already out on Blu-Ray, right? Not sure what the quality is like though, but according the Wiki the series was filmed on film, as opposed to video, so surely it would still look decent? The early seasons will still be 4:3 though, of course.

Tony's Mother was CGI'ed into the show in the episode she died in. The actress had kind of went and died, so they used a CGI head of her on someone else's body. I didn't notice either at first!

The first time I saw it I thought something was going wrong with my eyes...and isn't it a bit insulting to

boil her part down to some 'meh whatever' gestures?

:lol: A couple scenes later

she was dead

, and I instantly knew what had happened. :lol:

The episode before it with all that

FBI business

had a different feel to it too, with the focus taken off the family somewhat. They must've had a real

"Agh, what do we do now??"

period.

I'm pretty sure all the seasons are available in widescreen.

Possibly, but I've only seen the early eps in 4:3 and I assume that's what they were shot for. If the 16:9 versions are an arcing of a 4:3 image just to make it 'widescreen' then you're actually losing a substantial amount of the image. Best to watch it 4:3 if it was shot with that in mind.

The episode before it with all that

FBI business

had a different feel to it too, with the focus taken off the family somewhat. They must've had a real

"Agh, what do we do now??"

period.

For what it's worth, I LOVE that FBI episode.

I like the FBI episode too. But as a whole, Season 3 is probably my least favourite. They spent a long time in Season 2 building up to what would happen in Season 3 and it all has to get dropped. When I think of Season 3 I just think of

Meadow's fucking tedious relationship problems with a dull nobody who was predictably killed by the end of the season. Meh. The Melfi rape episode was good though, always liked the ending to that one. For me the show didn't get properly going again til Season 4

Oh man, I've just remembered another epic moment from The Sopranos. This is incredibly spoilerific, so only read it if you've seen every episode:

Adriana

:lol:

Fucking amazing TV. I'm going to have to watch them all again at some point.

It's all about the Pine Barrens episode. "One-shoe cocksucker" remains the great insult ever and the whole distorted phone conversation between Tony and Paulie is hilarious.

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the fuck outta here.

Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.

[hangs up]

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit!

It's all about the Pine Barrens episode. "One-shoe cocksucker" remains the great insult ever and the whole distorted phone conversation between Tony and Paulie is hilarious.

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

[hangs up]

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

:lol:

I loved the episode with

Bobby Bacala where he has a fight with Tony

in the last season. Also the Melfi episode mentioned above, 'Employee of the Month'. I sometimes thought the show glamorised bad behaviour too much but episodes like that show there's more to it than that. Great ending to that episode.

[hangs up]

Yep. Probably the funniest part of The Sopranos as a whole.

And another vote for

the Melfi rape. The fucking tension as she was on the verge of telling Tony, knowing what he'd do. I was urging her to do it, I really wanted to see this cunt get his head ripped off. But no.

Possibly, but I've only seen the early eps in 4:3 and I assume that's what they were shot for. If the 16:9 versions are an arcing of a 4:3 image just to make it 'widescreen' then you're actually losing a substantial amount of the image. Best to watch it 4:3 if it was shot with that in mind.

I assume it was shot in 16:9 with 14:9 in mind - so the characters stayed within the 14:9 border, but the whole image was shot. Isn't all film 16:9 anyway?

But who cares. Favourite Paulie moment: him and Tony staying at a hotel in Miami. They're about to leave, so Paulie takes about 20 of the breakfast pastries with him :)

I assume it was shot in 16:9 with 14:9 in mind - so the characters stayed within the 14:9 border, but the whole image was shot. Isn't all film 16:9 anyway?

But who cares. Favourite Paulie moment: him and Tony staying at a hotel in Miami. They're about to leave, so Paulie takes about 20 of the breakfast pastries with him :)

Another classic Paulie moment was

the bit in the coffee shop. Well, every coffee shop bit in that episode.

Oh man, it's excellent. Get it watched! It's timeless.

Of course the earlier episodes will look a little aged compared to the later episodes (especially with the current glut of shiny new HD 16:9 broadcasts), but name me one long-running TV show that you couldn't say that about.

I quite recently rinsed through the whole of house for the first time. I know it's only on 6 seasons. But that was available in glorious blu-ray right from the start :(

• 5 years later...

Currently going through this for the second time. The end of episode songs are consistently outstanding- I know Moby's one has been mentioned, but Evidently Chickentown at the end of Stage 5 (season 6b) immediately elevates the episode to top tier.

Currently going through this for the second time. The end of episode songs are consistently outstanding- I know Moby's one has been mentioned, but Evidently Chickentown at the end of Stage 5 (season 6b) immediately elevates the episode to top tier.