Life's Too Short

murray

The assistant is Gareth from The Office, sprinkled with a bit of Keith.

Really enjoyed the second episode though, much funnier than Extras, and made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Less 'Brenty' this week too, apart from the wedding of course.

Tim Key was incredible!

I don't know, im going to get called a boring fucker here, and obviously I realize everyone who's involved is in on the same joke, but every budum-tish moment in this episode seamed to be pointed towards how vicious and/or not funny/Jeremy Clarkson we can be towards Willow. I like Willow! :(

Just didnt sit right with me.

Depp putting him in the toilet and making monster noises is funny now? Naw. I dont want much out of this, I laughed at the impromptu ewok costume bit but the Tim "a million layers of irony" Key bit was just ruddy awful. By the looks of it the next episode is set to be exactly the same set up, with everyone treating him like shit. Gervais seams happy to write irony like a kid whose found his dads gun. Like a dick.

Improvement but still not quite working, I want to say this will be their weakest series yet but I honestly wasn't impressed with the first two episodes of Office and Extras on first viewing so who knows.

Thing is both Office/Extras had characters with strong relationships be it Tim/Dawn or Andy/Maggie that were forming straight away within the first two episodes though in reality I don't think ANYONE would have guessed how big those relationships would ever become by the end after just 2 episodes. My worry with this show is who is there for Warrick to get close to? It looks like it has a bit of a curb your enthusiasm vibe to it, apart from the obvious it has these characters that seem to swan in and out. One week you have the accountant, the other you don't. One week you have the ex wife, the other you don't. The thing with Office/Extras is that every episode always featured the main characters, you sort of need to if it's going to be a typical short running UK sitcom.

As for the Warrick = Brent thing there were a few that stood out in this latest episode,

After the third fan walks up and says 'Tumour' he responds with a Brent classic 'Oh for f...' in exactly the same way

Warrick being offered 5000 and responding with '5000?.....yep, that's good...yep' is just like when Brent was offered lots of money to the motivational speech

Warrick getting a glass of water thrown in his face and his responding with 'well, thanks for that...' similar to the end of xmas episode 1

I'm actually tempted to document these and then make a youtube clip where it keeps cutting from Warrick/Brent to show the similarities, then release it after the final episode. Or perhaps do it two episodes at a time because someone is clearly going to do that before me :D

Liked the convention scenes up until the reporter arrived. Didn't think Johnny Depp was that good until he got to the scenes with Gervais. Liked the wedding scenes. Favourite part was the alternative jobs bit though with the assisstant who I do quite like. The conversation about chimney sweeping and, moreso, to catch a predator scheme had me in stitches.

Overall it's been a bit hit and miss for me so far. I feel it may have already peaked with the brilliance of Liam Neeson in the first episode.

How on earth can you talk about the 'cohesive whole' after only two episodes? It's gibberish.

Neither of those two episodes worked as a cohesive whole. I'm not talking about a grand series character arc, just the events of single episodes. And they don't.

The Office didn't have much plot either, the documentary style allows for it to be all about character moments rather than a driving plot. The plot is basically: Warwick needs to make money because of his tax troubles, fails at getting £5000 from Johnny Depp, then fails at getting £500 from a wedding. It's enough.

Well, again, I wasn't talking about an overarching series plot, but just plots within episodes (although the series arc for this show appears to be so thin it's less a plot and more an just excuse for Warwick to get into scrapes). The plot of an episode of the Office could be: The characters prepare for and attend a quiz night. The plot of this one as you pretty much point out were three almost unrelated squences. The entire Johnny Depp bit could have been dropped into the last episode with no trouble, and, I'd wager, any of the subsequent episodes. And remained just as self-indulgent.

This assertion has left me speechless. Fortunately rllmuk exists as a written medium, where I can express my disbelief.

Yeah, I'm the only one who cared about the characters in one of the best-loved UK TV sitcoms of all time.

Neither of those two episodes worked as a cohesive whole. I'm not talking about a grand series character arc, just the events of single episodes. And they don't.

We all know Gervais sitcoms typically reveal themselves over the full season. People don't refer to individual episodes of The Office or Extras like it was a episode of Seinfeld or something. Pathos takes time. His work is all about the whole, not some imaginary two-episode whole.

Yeah, I'm the only one who cared about the characters in one of the best-loved UK TV sitcoms of all time.

Er, honestly? You cared? You actually felt like you invested genuine emotion in two made up people in a sitcom, rather than noting the plot devices they represented as part of the humorous whole?

Tim and Dawn? Like, really honestly?

Er, honestly? You cared? You actually felt like you invested genuine emotion in two made up people in a sitcom, rather than noting the plot devices they represented as part of the humorous whole?

I didn't care about Tim & Dawn, but fucking hell is that how you watch TV programmes? Ticking plot devices off a list when each one gets covered by a particular character?

Of course people cared. It's that character investment which is often quoted as the reason many people remember The Office (and to a much lesser extent Extras) with such fondness. Life's Too Short so far doesn't seem to have any of it.

I came in to post what Comrade has basically already said. It's very funny, but it might as well be a sketch show. Characters seems to vary in approach depending on the need to get a joke across. The wedding speech was funny, but at the same time it felt odd that Warwick was so insensitive to the situation, mainly because as a character I know very little about him.

Still very funny though.

If that's what you think I meant, then yes! :sherlock:

Ok, if you're going to be like that - do you never invest genuine emotion in made up characters from a sitcom? Do you just note the plot devices they represent as part of a humorous whole?

Essentially yes, unless it's some next level shit. I mean, look at Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, etc, sitcoms which The Office, whilst good, is clearly nowhere near being in the same league as. Immensly enjoyable, but did I ever have an emotional attachment to the characters? No. They are just cyphers to advance the humour.

The same is true of the office. If anything, the 'relationship' between Tim and Dawn was the weakest element of the show. I just find it strange that people would even think of the characters of Tim or Dawn after the credits have rolled. They are just not that good!

EDIT: Unless you are particularly mawkish, of course. I don't rule out that possibility.

Essentially yes, unless it's some next level shit. I mean, look at Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, etc, sitcoms which The Office, whilst good, is clearly nowhere near being in the same league as. Immensly enjoyable, but did I ever have an emotional attachment to the characters? No. They are just cyphers to advance the humour.

The same is true of the office. If anything, the 'relationship' between Tim and Dawn was the weakest element of the show. I just find it strange that people would even think of the characters of Tim or Dawn after the credits have rolled. They are just not that good!

EDIT: Unless you are particularly mawkish, of course. I don't rule out that possibility.

You seem to be being deliberately obtuse about the fact that the Office VERY clearly does ATTEMPT to have sincere emotional storylines and plausible characters who you care about, just because you personally thought the Tim/Dawn stuff was crap. It has a very different tone to Seinfeld in which the boyfriend/girlfriends always are disposable characters who advance the humour, and sincerity or emotion is avoided.

It's not just the Tim/Dawn relationship, almost all the characters and relationships in the Office are intended sincerely and have emotional moments. For example, the episode with Tim's birthday and the pub quiz - it is funny but it's also horribly believable seeing the Finchy/Brent dynamic, and Tim being awkwardly bullied by Lee, then left alone with no shoes at the end. The whole show has a very bleak streak running through it.

You seem to be being deliberately obtuse about the fact that the Office VERY clearly does ATTEMPT to have sincere emotional storylines and plausible characters who you care about, just because you personally thought the Tim/Dawn stuff was crap. It has a very different tone to Seinfeld in which the boyfriend/girlfriends always are disposable characters who advance the humour, and sincerity or emotion is avoided.

It's not just the Tim/Dawn relationship, almost all the characters and relationships in the Office are intended sincerely and have emotional moments. For example, the episode with Tim's birthday and the pub quiz - it is funny but it's also horribly believable seeing the Finchy/Brent dynamic, and Tim being awkwardly bullied by Lee, then left alone with no shoes at the end. The whole show has a very bleak streak running through it.

No, I'm not being deliberately obtuse. Let's look at Comrade's post again:

People genuinely agonised over the Tim and Dawn relationship.

It's still unbelievable to me, the idea that anyone would be agonizing (his words) over the relationship between two characters in a sitcom.

Agonizing! Not fleetingly going 'Ahh, poor Tim! Poor Dawn!' while watching it, which I can understand, but agonizing. Thinking about it when not watching the show, and experiencing emotional agony over them.

Now, you might not find that a pretty strange assertion, but I do. Is that okay with you?

Did you agonize over their relationship?

Not really, but I was just stating my reaction to that moment rather than saying that. The relationship between Dawn and Tim was handled really nicely though and weighted just right so it didn't become the whole point of the programme. It was effective in the end because it struck on experiences we all had or are having; unrequited loves, the unlikable rival, misreading signals. I was invested in it rather than agonising. Gervais and Merchant haven't come close to including pathos as well written as that since, which is why Extras was really flat for me.

Not really, but I was just stating my reaction to that moment rather than saying that. The relationship between Dawn and Tim was handled really nicely though and weighted just right so it didn't become the whole point of the programme. It was effective in the end because it struck on experiences we all had or are having; unrequited loves, the unlikable rival, misreading signals. I was invested in it rather than agonising. Gervais and Merchant haven't come close to including pathos as well written as that since, which is why Extras was really flat for me.

None of which I'd disagree with!

That's "investing genuine emotion in two made up people in a sitcom" though isn't it? Watching comedy without being able to do that at all sounds incredibly joyless

Listen, if you seriously agonised over the relationship between Dawn and Tim in The Office, you're a fucking weirdo who needs to get a grip. I can't make it any plainer than that!

And to be honest, if you thought about their relationship much outside the time you spent actually viewing the programme at all I'd say you're pretty odd. If that offends you, tough.

What's even weirder is that I've had to spend any time explaining my incredulity! God help us if there's ever a war. :quote: