rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Laine

Idiot proof rice cooking

I'm sure ages ago there was a big thread in here about the verious ways to make perfect rice every time. I rarely get it quite right.

I'd like your suggestions for perfect rice, every time!

I love brown rice and want to eat it more often, without doing silly things like soaking it overnight before I cook it.

How about steaming it? I don't have an electric steamer though.

Thanks!

Rice in large microwavable bowl. Cover with enough boiling water to have the water level about 2cm higher than the rice. Cover. Microwave on medium-high (we set ours to "80%") for about 11 minutes.

Works for me.

If you cook a lot of rice, it might be worth getting a rice cooker, I love mine, comes out perfect every time and there's no risk of it drying out or over / under cooking it. Alternatively, this Jamie Oliver method works extremely well, I've only tried it with Basmati but it might work with other types.

Basmati is the easiest.

- Non-stick frying pan, small amount of oil

- Measure out rice. Add to pan. Stir about a bit to coat the grains in oil.

- Add twice the amount of boiling water. Cover.

- Wait 12 to 15 mins, or until water is all gone.

- RICE!

Laine you don't have an electric steamer (which I feel unneccesary anyway), but you have a steamer?

If you have a steamer for brown rice I:

1) Soak for 1 hour.

2) Boil water in wok, put bamboo steamer on top, put grease proof paper on top of that (but leaving gaps so steam can get through) and rice on top of that. Lid on, leave for 40 minutes.

Davros' suggestion works for plain basmati but I don't even bother with the oil. What I do is:

1) Rice in pan

2) Twice the amount of water (measure it with a cup, so 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water)

3) salt

4) bring to the boil and leave until the water has gone.

The difference is that I bring to the boil rather than add boiling water and I don't use oil.

I don't use non-stick rice either. I see one of my flatmates just poor rice into boiling water and this for me is wrong but she is a spastic and spazzes it up. You're not a spaz, are you?

Yeah I really would like an electric steamer as I steam loads at the moment. I love pasta but am trying to cut down, so I steam a load of veg above half as much pasta as i'd normally use.

Problem is my kitchen is tiny. TINY. It'd take up lots of space I don't have, and I wouldn't even have a cupboard to put it away in.

Oh, and I did Fugu's boil the water with the rice in and stick a lid on and simmer thing tonight. It worked pretty good! My lid isn't see through, and I remember ol JP saying never ever take the lid of so I just kept giving the pan a shake to se if there was still water in.

I just happened to be looking at rice cookers today and saw this one, it should be £19.99 but it's half price at the moment so it's only £9.99 and has loads of good reviews, I'm very tempted to get one myself, can you cook pasta in a rice cooker too? Are there any other uses for it?

I don't use non-stick rice either. I see one of my flatmates just poor rice into boiling water and this for me is wrong but she is a spastic and spazzes it up. You're not a spaz, are you?

I cook my rice like that and it comes out perfect every time and I'm not a "spastic"

Oooh the fish steaming is tempting! I think it might be a bit of a waste though - I only ever need one cup at a time, and usually that does me two meals. I suppose for a tenner I should give it a go - it can live on top of my countertop freezer.

Small thing too, though you're probably already doing this. When you open a packet of rice and pour it into a bowl, run your fingers through it. If that leaves a chalky residue, then rinse the rice in cold water before cooking. No need to soak it, just fill the bowl with water and run your hands through it, before pouring the milky, cloudy water out.

Basmati is the easiest.

- Non-stick frying pan, small amount of oil

- Measure out rice. Add to pan. Stir about a bit to coat the grains in oil.

- Add twice the amount of boiling water. Cover.

- Wait 12 to 15 mins, or until water is all gone.

- RICE!

This is how I've been doing it since year dot and it's perfect every time.

For brown rice, I don't bother personally. If I did I'd use the boil and drain method and give it twenty minutes or so.

There is so many ways of cooking rice!

What I find works the best for me for white basmati rice-

Rinse the rice! Rinse until the water isn't so cloudy, this is if you don't want the rice sticky. Perhaps this is preferred if you are eating with chopsticks. Pour the water into the pan and agitate it with your fingers, pour out the cloudy stuff and start again.

Once you are done with that add water, water should be about an inch above the level of your rice as a rough guide. Or about to the first knuckle of your thumb.

Bring to a simmer, leave open or cover doesn't make a lot of difference. Just don't stir. Once you can see the rice is going fluffy (about 10minutes or so) drain the water away.

Now cover and leave on the hob (not under heat) for 10 minutes. Use a fork to separate the grains.

Should leave you with perfect rice!

Brown rice is similar, just doesn't need rinsing. Also needs 15-20 mins under a simmer.

yeah, whatever the guy that said, use half again as much rice per person and totally rinse it first said. With Basmati rice, you want to actually soak it before hand other wise it will just come out gloopy, but with regular long grain a couple of thorough rinses in hot water will do you.

Never rinse rice when im doing it in the steamer and its perfect everytime - never sticky.

I tend to buy Tilda Basmatti as find its very nice and often on offer so barely dearer than the supermarket stuff.

WHY NOT?

I tend to buy 10kilo bags of Japanese rice from the local Chinese supermarket (which, depsite advertising itself as such, sells far more non-Chinese stuff than Chinese stuff).

And then it's into the rice cooker. Perfect every time.