Magnetic Billiards Alpha

Mr Majestyk

Probably not the best place to discuss that - JP is active over on Facebook in the MB group tho and it's, as ever, huge fun :P

Yeah sure, I know this isn't the right place, but I did look and search through the forum before posting in this thread. Couldn't find anything.

JP is my only Facebook friend from here, due to previous Magnetic Billiards beta, but I don't know him enough to be able to ask (especially if there was some kind of spat).

Just interested why an all-round excellent forumite left, that was all.

Found a video of it on youtube

[yt]yXxAbVLzkPw[/yt]

It looks pretty good, in a bizarre mash up of E-Motion, Puyo Puyo and Steve Davis Snooker (on the Speccy). Love the music and the Victorian style of the gfx.

Must give it a try, but I hope it does well for them.

I'm still trying to suss out the nuances of the game. I can only get D on the first table.

Me either - you need more balls really (getting C's on later tables often 'by accident' through buzz/bounce/combos).

Fun trying tho :angry:

All you "my PC isn't for gaming" types will be pleased to know this runs on almost anything which isn't powered by coal. I'm playing on a Centrino 1.2 Dual with 2GB/XP SP3 (GMA950 graphics)

So it should be peachy on your Netbooks too

I hoped they would have streamlined the interface since the last time I saw it. It's still very busy and confusing, which I don't think will appeal to the 'casual' market it's probably (partly) aiming at.

Fun though.

probably the same alpha since the last time you looked at it.

Really high scores on the early beginner tables seem to need you to use the cards...

I hoped they would have streamlined the interface since the last time I saw it. It's still very busy and confusing, which I don't think will appeal to the 'casual' market it's probably (partly) aiming at.

I tend to agree although the scoring system/overall approach is really very casual-friendly either.

The tutorial even goes into some of the more arcane maths relating to whether it's better to use some shots or others - generally speaking I think the game is what it claims "Seriously Casual".

It's not Pool Paradise, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing this for about a fortnight now and absolutely addicted to it. Finished all the tables in this release and keep going back to get a better ranking, which is something I've almost never done with a game. Really enjoying it.

And it goes great with a bit of Sherlock Holmes on Radio 7 :wub:

I've used them on occasions. I think you just click on the deck at the bottom when you want to use one and then click the card you want. Only the cards that are lit up are available to you, the dark blue ones are cards you haven't got yet.

With a bit more fiddling they did react and I was able to use them. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing this for a few days now and managed to achive one A, quite a few B's and loads of C & D's*. For some reason I got two S's but that wasn't earned through clever gameplay, it seemed to be a mess-up by the game engine itself.

*Which is a bit shit seeing as I run the tutorials!