Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii

I'm not sure if this is an OCD's dream or worst nightmare. I just can't move on with the story until I've done every side quest and then several laps of the town during the night and day to make sure I haven't missed anyone.

Holy shit, where did this game come from?

I feel like I've been living under a rock! Until I clicked on this thread, I'd no idea it existed and more fool me as it looks fantastic. I think I'm going to have to pick this up.

I'm not sure if this is an OCD's dream or worst nightmare. I just can't move on with the story until I've done every side quest and then several laps of the town during the night and day to make sure I haven't missed anyone.

You're not alone. Out of nearly 12 hours so far, I reckon I've devoted maybe just over 1 hour for the story quests. Everything else has been exploration, side quests and shameless murder of various beasties.

I decided to go for a swim and then found some level 35 mobs on a little island. I quickly swam away again.

I love how it doesn't punish you if you die, or if one of your party dies and you manage to leg it, they just come back. Great stuff.

I collected all the bits for the first area :D Quests are compelling... my eyes were starting to glaze over and I had yawn-tears streaming down my face as I played. Bedtime!

I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow, but before that I have a question: is the story engaging?

I'm not too fussed if the plot itself is fairly played out — although preferably not, obviously — more interested in whether the narrative element is a driving force behind the game. To give some context to that, Skies of Arcadia is one of my all-time favourite games and yet the actual story beats of that were fairly rote, but it had a lot of charm and character which meant you always wanted to see what was next. How would Xenoblade compare to that?

Well I've just hacked through the first few half a dozen caterpillars and bunnies and am really enjoying it. The fighting is very mmorpg-y and I think this game will be right up my alley. I can already see how the fighting system will become quite frenetic and tactical. My only minor problem is the awfully well spoken english accents but its no biggee.

I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow, but before that I have a question: is the story engaging?

I'm not too fussed if the plot itself is fairly played out — although preferably not, obviously — more interested in whether the narrative element is a driving force behind the game. To give some context to that, Skies of Arcadia is one of my all-time favourite games and yet the actual story beats of that were fairly rote, but it had a lot of charm and character which meant you always wanted to see what was next. How would Xenoblade compare to that?

I say they compare very favourably. I too love Skies of Arcadia - this also has good characters and a massive world that's a joy to explore.

Seriously - this game is top fucking notch. Every gamer who thinks there's more to this lark than shooting people in the face in COD needs to try this. It's a stone cold classic.

8 hours in, 7 of them in tonight's session and I already can't wait to see what's next, as I've just emerged in a new area.

The scale of that first area alone, all the people in it with their daily routines, the interconnectedness with affinity and side quests, trading, the wee blue resource points seeming to lead you on massive exploring/slaughtering hikes, the ability to warp and change the time at will, saving anywhere(!), convenient restarts, getting chased by a piddly crab which can one-shot you because it's a level 35 and the restarts allow them to make that mean something, some of the drama and action in the cutscenes so far, getting your

hands on tha Monado - fuck yes!

, and it's still introducing new game mechanics. Just fantastic. If things get even bigger after this... :wub:

Oh, and that zoom out to the bionis and the mechonis near the start, bloody hell.

Can a brotha get this on the cheap? :D

Also, is a classic controller absolutely necessary to enjoy this?

I'm playing it without the classic and it's fine. Gah, working today, so no playing for me, but come Monday, that

giant blue bird thing

on the anti-air battery is going down:)

An amazing, beautiful game that keeps getting better and better the more you play.

Any tips on gem crafting? I get the concept of how to create what you want (and am getting the right results) but I don't understand the whole Shooter/Engineer thing. Am I supposed to be doing anything while my two characters are humping the machine or do I just sit and wait? It's the one point where the tutorials have been less than clear.

If anybody is holding off until this gets cheap and you really want it, don't risk it. We all know the wii is on its last legs and how rare games like this end up even if this isn't the case. It's already in short supply! I was going to hold off on okami den and now it's rare as hell so I'm glad I got it when I did, all of five months ago.

An amazing, beautiful game that keeps getting better and better the more you play.

Any tips on gem crafting? I get the concept of how to create what you want (and am getting the right results) but I don't understand the whole Shooter/Engineer thing. Am I supposed to be doing anything while my two characters are humping the machine or do I just sit and wait? It's the one point where the tutorials have been less than clear.

So far no tips on gem crafting, it just seems to be down on who you put in which role. That said, there was one thing that crept up in my mind...

chuckle-brothers-to-me-to-you-ladies-t-shirt-44728-p.png

Can't be an accident, right?

So far no tips on gem crafting, it just seems to be down on who you put in which role. That said, there was one thing that crept up in my mind...

Definitely no accident. :D We were giggling about that yesterday every time they said it. There are a few other lines in the game as well which have raised our eyebrows wondering if it has been on purpose or not.

It was far to disturbing hearing it, I couldn't pay attention to what was happening.