Firing up the Amiga again!

Pixelated Ben

I've been meaning to do it for years: fire up my Amiga again and try out some of those games that I have very fond memories of. I have both an A500 and A1200; the other week I tried to connect my Amiga 500 to my LG flatscreen TV... but - shock, horror - I had completely forgotten how to connect it, and worse still, I wasn't even sure if the Amiga COULD BE connected to a modern TV..?

So I was wondering, what are the best options for getting the best quality image from an Amiga 500/1200? I've got various dust-covered leads, but I can't remember which ones I used to use! (I can't even remember if I used to use the modulator-thingy at the back of the A500. I have a vague recollection of making use of one of those cables with the red, green and yellow ends... yes, I know I should know the name for that lead but I've er, forgotten...)

I know that the easiest way to play Amiga games is probably to venture down the path of emulation, but I want to play the machine the traditional way. I also need an external disk drive to reduce disk-swapping. I remember Cumana being a good brand...?

I hooked up my A1200 the other week, for the first time in about 13 years. Had great fun listening to all the tracks I'd made in Octamed, my massive 70Mb hard disk still worked fine. :)

One thing I had to google was how to reset the Amiga...ctrl-Amiga-Amiga keys.

I still wasn't sure if there was a a safe way to shut it down safely. Anyone know?

Here's the place to go besides ebay for leads etc:

Link

The Amiga shuts down fine by the power button there is no power down option besides that. Everything is stored on chips inside so switching it off doesn't do any damage unless you do it during a save to a HD which can ruin the file you are messing with.

Link

The Amiga shuts down fine by the power button there is no power down option besides that. Everything is stored on chips inside so switching it off doesn't do any damage unless you do it during a save to a HD which can ruin the file you are messing with.

Corrupt the file and invalidate the disk partition (if you're not using PFS/FFS2, which most people do not). I lost a 300MB partition in 1999 that contained hundreds of fantastic PD games because of a system crash at the wrong time. I had to resist the urge to cry in front of my girlfriend and the memory continues to annoy.

Corrupt the file and invalidate the disk partition (if you're not using PFS/FFS2, which most people do not). I lost a 300MB partition in 1999 that contained hundreds of fantastic PD games because of a system crash at the wrong time. I had to resist the urge to cry in front of my girlfriend and the memory continues to annoy.

I would laugh, but I experienced the same a number of times over the years.

The Amiga hard drive format system was absolute crap. Breathe anywhere near your Amiga when it's doing something with the HD and the immortal "Disk is invalidated" (or something along those lines) rears its ugly head.

Link

Wow, loads to look at on that site!

Can a SCART lead be used with an A500? (I remember using one with my A1200.) If I were to use a SCART lead on an A500, does it connect to the Amiga through the modulator? The A500 doesn't have a SCART socket, does it? My Amiga is in the loft at the moment; I can't remember off-hand what its connections are...

I've been using a SCART lead with my 1200 on a Phillips 8833 for nearly 15 years.

One thing I've been meaning to do is replace the 120mb drive with something a little more substantial. Is it an easy process that requires any soldering?

I would laugh, but I experienced the same a number of times over the years.

The Amiga hard drive format system was absolute crap. Breathe anywhere near your Amiga when it's doing something with the HD and the immortal "Disk is invalidated" (or something along those lines) rears its ugly head.

Sounds like the Amiga Hard disk was just as attrocious as its floppy from those anecdotes.......

I've been using a SCART lead with my 1200 on a Phillips 8833 for nearly 15 years.

One thing I've been meaning to do is replace the 120mb drive with something a little more substantial. Is it an easy process that requires any soldering?

No it works with any 2.5" IDE Drive but Workbench won't recognise anything over 4 GB and then you have to split it into 2GB sections. Compact Flash Card and an IDE adaptor is the way to go, won't cost you more than £20. You can then use the likes of WinUAE to setup WB and the HD with all the games, dump it on your PC as a backup then copy it straight onto the CF card.

No it works with any 2.5" IDE Drive but Workbench won't recognise anything over 4 GB and then you have to split it into 2GB sections. Compact Flash Card and an IDE adaptor is the way to go, won't cost you more than £20. You can then use the likes of WinUAE to setup WB and the HD with all the games, dump it on your PC as a backup then copy it straight onto the CF card.

Sounds good, cheers :lol:

Search ebay for a seller called "Retro Computer Shack" - I bought a sart lead for my A600HD on there.

Then I bought a 4GB CF card with 2200 games installed on it - pretty much every Amiga game ever released. It works with A1200s or A600HDs with a memory upgrade, search ebay for "Amiga 4GB CF".

More Amiga revival threads!

I do have a CF card reader for my 1200, it's not the most reliable thing in the world, a tad flakey. It didn't like you forcing it to do anything, you had to be totally sure it was ready for you before you got anything off the card.

I do have a CF card reader for my 1200, it's not the most reliable thing in the world, a tad flakey. It didn't like you forcing it to do anything, you had to be totally sure it was ready for you before you got anything off the card.

Mines pretty robust and never had any problems. You sure you didn't buy some cheap one from a chinese seller on ebayer?

There's been a bit of chatter in this thread around card readers for your Amiga.

Could someone (Lorf?) tell us what the advantages are over using a hard disk drive?

Also, how do these connect to the Amiga? My 1200 is in a tower, and I don't have access to my PCMCIA port (the case blocks this). Can I still get a card reader?

There's been a bit of chatter in this thread around card readers for your Amiga.

Could someone (Lorf?) tell us what the advantages are over using a hard disk drive?

Also, how do these connect to the Amiga? My 1200 is in a tower, and I don't have access to my PCMCIA port (the case blocks this). Can I still get a card reader?

A mate of mine on YT did a series of walkthrough vids on installing CF cards etc. Here's a good place to start:

One of the main benefits is if you have a Compact Flash card reader on your PC (you can pick them up in Tesco for about a fiver) and a suitable adaptor for the Amiga PCMCIA slot you can effectively switch a Hard Drive between the 2 systems making copying and setting up new HD's pretty easy. You can't use it without the PCMCIA slot I'm afraid and without it being accessible you can't go down the networking card route either :facepalm:

I'm using a compact flaswh at the minute. It's a little tiny bit quicker than a harddrive, but as lorf said, it's just easier to read on the PC end of things because it's just a memory card, but to be honest, if you're installing all the games you would want to play all at once i'm not sure there is many advantages apart from that. It's only if you would be taking it in and out a lot you would see a major benefit. I'm not sure just how much faster is tbh.