rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Scribblor

Home Brewing

8 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I've attempted my first all grain brew: just about to bottle an IPA made to a Tiny Rebel recipe. And holy cow I think I've fucked it up royally. I know bottle conditioning  can fix a lot of ills, but giving it a taste after 12 days in the fermenter, it's overly bitter and a bit soapy. I have a horrid feeling I didn't get the temperature down quick enough! Ah well, into the bottles it'll go, and let's see.

Soapy flavours are usually associated with yeast dying, there's no way that's happened after 12 days. 

I'd get it in the bottle and give it some time to mellow. It sounds like it's just monstrously hoppy right now. :D

• Upvote 1

I’m sitting here with about 850g of Munich I I need to use up, might do a SMASH with it and Mosaic using US-05. Because I’ve suddenly released I have the power to do any old bollocks I want and nothing can stop me.

Brewed up a sour yesterday, got kilos of cherries from the allotment that'll get added in a week or so and then no more brewing for a while

• Upvote 2

I’ve recently finished off a simple bitter from the pressure barrel. Very nice indeed over lockdown. It got better as time went on, and lost that home brew tang. It was around 3.9%. So nice and drinkable. 

I’ve just kicked off an American IPA which is bubbling nicely, and has blown the airlock off three times so far! But it’s doing the job. I’ve tried not to fiddle with the brew too much, other than obviously sanitising everything and then just sort of forgetting about it, I figure they used to make beer hundreds of years ago without much hassle so...

With the IPA, as soon as I’ve racked it and bottled it I’m going full speed ahead with another Wherry.   

I left the bitter for around 3 months before quaffing. It’s annoying having to wait, so getting two on the go has to be the way forward. 

5A90C1C6-22BF-489B-BED1-B4B3DD298C84.thumb.jpeg.77b2c01952bf749170930ad8f50db9f1.jpeg

A627143F-4DF5-40CE-99CB-DB053DF0CAD1.thumb.jpeg.1e1bd013bb0d384cda3be33b6656d01d.jpeg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jimmbob said:

It’s annoying having to wait, so getting two on the go has to be the way

This! Brewed a bitter a few weeks back for @Flams birthday, knowing that the sour will use up my fermentation bucket for a few months. 

• Upvote 1

Think I beefed my SMASH- I followed Brewfather's guidelines for sparge quantity and it's all rather astringent now. I'll probably ferment it anyway since I've gotten this far but now I've learned a valuable lesson about trusting my gut and only using a few L of water per KG of malt.

Because I'm a dork I've ordered some Polyclar 730, which should have a decent shot at pulling some tannins out of suspension once fermentation is done, at the risk of pulling yeast out too. I'll maybe pitch a little extra US-05 when I add my priming sugar, then leave it to condition for a while. Could still be garbage but hey ho.

I'll do it as an experiment- I'll siphon and bottle half of the beer without Polyclar treatment, and the remainder will be treated then filtered and bottled after it settles out.

Okay, so I MAY have completely fucked it. There was no attempt whatsoever to filter out trub before it went into the fermenter, and I rounded my pitched yeast to the nearest half packet, and...

IMG_20200731_122914.thumb.jpg.b3950cb33279a02c94b29d1bb56e149e.jpg

That's a lot of not beer in the bottom of that.

wow, that's... interesting.

Is that proteins floating on the top? I had similar with a wild fermentation (a sour that started fermenting before I could add the yeast) - it didn't harm the final beer but I had to strain it all out and it looked disgusting.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

wow, that's... interesting.

Is that proteins floating on the top? I had similar with a wild fermentation (a sour that started fermenting before I could add the yeast) - it didn't harm the final beer but I had to strain it all out and it looked disgusting.

Yeast lumps, I think, plus general krausen. I did a very aggressive aeration and overpitched considerably so I think it went a bit nuts- it's enough for 10L in a 5L carboy.

Basically last night was me trying to do everything from memory, and seeing where I could "optimise my workflow" (skip some stuff). This is the result.

Lessons:

Sparge based on the volume of grain (2L a kilo max)

Move from the boiler to another vessel after cooling to aerate so I can leave the crap behind

Aeration does seem to help

I did a wee gravity read on last weekend's beer and it's about 95% there. It also tastes fucking astounding. Another week to settle down, then dry hop and bottling.

21 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Okay, so I MAY have completely fucked it. There was no attempt whatsoever to filter out trub before it went into the fermenter, and I rounded my pitched yeast to the nearest half packet, and...

IMG_20200731_122914.thumb.jpg.b3950cb33279a02c94b29d1bb56e149e.jpg

That's a lot of not beer in the bottom of that.

Well now I have no idea what the fuck is going on. The nasty stuff is gone. @minstrels heeeeelllllpppIMG_20200801_093542.thumb.jpg.cbc6958ed98b01754d6cd674516bd9f9.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, minstrels said:

It looks like cold break material. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)

Awesome. I guess it means I did an effective cooling then?

Goes to show, don't panic.

10 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Awesome. I guess it means I did an effective cooling then?

Goes to show, don't panic.

Yeah, it means that you've cooled quickly enough for the break to happen which is good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, minstrels said:

Had a couple of bottles of my latest batch over the weekend... I hate it. :(

Hope it wasn't a huge batch, but you could gift it to people and bullshit it enough that they think it's meant to taste like that. "Aye, it's Bavarian Arschelicter, it's flavoured with pig colons".

Look at this pair of absolute units.

CF29A166-C8BE-4C8A-BEED-71AED373BE19.thumb.png.75a18b68be9d7447e2899e904b609267.png

My tropical is exceedingly cloudy but I’ll live with it. Just hurry up and ferment you bastards.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Hope it wasn't a huge batch, but you could gift it to people and bullshit it enough that they think it's meant to taste like that. "Aye, it's Bavarian Arschelicter, it's flavoured with pig colons".

I've got something like 35 bottles left. A friend loves it so I'll be hitting him with a dozen bottles or so. :D

What is it you don't like about the brew, will it age out?

I've got a homebrew sour that's ready to be bottled but I'm not sure what to do with it at the moment.

I put 2 litres of fruit puree into a 5 litre batch without straining the puree first and now when I open the tap to take a sample I just get fruit sludge through. If I strain it off the beer tastes great and it should be fermented out now but I don't necessarily want to rack it all off and then strain it all. I guess I could see if I've still got a syphon hose somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've got a homebrew sour that's ready to be bottled but I'm not sure what to do with it at the moment.

I put 2 litres of fruit puree into a 5 litre batch without straining the puree first and now when I open the tap to take a sample I just get fruit sludge through. If I strain it off the beer tastes great and it should be fermented out now but I don't necessarily want to rack it all off and then strain it all. I guess I could see if I've still got a syphon hose somewhere.

If you're doing BIAB, could you transfer it all into your bottling bucket with your brew bag inside, and pull out the bag to take away the pulp? Might be an oxygenation risk though if you're not gentle about it.

4 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

If you're doing BIAB, could you transfer it all into your bottling bucket with your brew bag inside, and pull out the bag to take away the pulp? Might be an oxygenation risk though if you're not gentle about it.

I do have a BIAB bag, so I could pour it through that and see how much it takes out. 

It actually tastes a lot more tart/sour with the puree but it's quite chunky and I don't think I should bottle it like that :lol:

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I do have a BIAB bag, so I could pour it through that and see how much it takes out. 

It actually tastes a lot more tart/sour with the puree but it's quite chunky and I don't think I should bottle it like that :lol:

Do a couple bottles with puree and see what it's like. You could invent some hot new trend or have a nice story about how you knocked back a bottle, and the lump of puree from the bottom launched down your neck like you were being deep-throated by The Blob.

On 29/07/2020 at 19:03, minstrels said:

Soapy flavours are usually associated with yeast dying, there's no way that's happened after 12 days. 

I'd get it in the bottle and give it some time to mellow. It sounds like it's just monstrously hoppy right now. :D

I think you were right! I've put 9L or so into a mini pressure keg and the rest in bottles about a week ago, and tried a bit from the keg last night. It's already pretty great!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I think you were right! I've put 9L or so into a mini pressure keg and the rest in bottles about a week ago, and tried a bit from the keg last night. It's already pretty great!

Awesome. :D

On 04/08/2020 at 15:48, Gaz said:

It tastes savoury. I'm pretty certain it's not an identifiable off-flavour so I'm not sure whether it's the hops or the fermentation. 

My SMASH that tasted like bad tea has completely smooth out after a week in the fermenter. There's a tiny bit of astringency but it in no way detracts from the flavour, if anything I want to have another mouthful to check it out again.

Glad I didn't chuck it. Gonna maybe dry hop it to give it a wee boost but it's EXTREMELY drinkable.

• Upvote 1