Is that only available in Scotish Aldi, Minstrels? I looked out for it in my local but no sign of it.

Aye, it's part of a beer festival that Aldi do up here.

In other home brewing news, I've just started making soda at home. Super easy, you just heat up some water and sugar and then when it's cooled add whatever flavouring you want, cool it in the fridge and stir a wee bit into some fizzy water and you've got soda.

Did a cream soda last weekend that was delicious and I've got a limeade on the go right now.

The wort I bought home started spontaneous fermentation,  I assumed it was just lactobacillus and was quite laid back about it but it was clearly not lacto and now my whole house is full of butyric acid and smells like cheese.  

I won't be doing that again. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Passion Fruit saison we brewed is tasting fantastic, like a big juicy IPA but with that saison yeast flavour. You would have no clue that it's so strong, either, it's really drinkable.

Nicely carbed in the bottle too. It's really upsetting that we only made 15L of it (shared between five of us). But I guess that just means brewing it again.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gaz said:

The Passion Fruit saison we brewed is tasting fantastic, like a big juicy IPA but with that saison yeast flavour. You would have no clue that it's so strong, either, it's really drinkable.

Nicely carbed in the bottle too. It's really upsetting that we only made 15L of it (shared between five of us). But I guess that just means brewing it again.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm also getting sad that I'm running down Smashed Mosaic (though I've not really dipped into Saison D'etre yet) so I think we just need to make some bigger batches when we know we're onto a winner.  Since I think we have a few people interested in getting involved now, I don't think it's a bad thing to keep booking bigger kit.

I think I'd like to make a large batch of Smashed Mosaic (or similar) that's only 5% as a summer festival / BBQ quaffing beer. Get a few big plastic growlers.

The hardest thing about brewing at this point feels like transport and bottling now! 

On 10/04/2017 at 11:34, Gaz said:

That sounds terrific. What's the recipe?

Got a cookbook of recipes for a lot of really excellent beers from around the world, may need to get a house so I can get a full grain setup going in a shed.

• 2 years later...
On 12/04/2017 at 07:09, Gaz said:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/454842/solo-saison

I added the contents of 3 passion fruits at the end of the boil. 

This beer ended up being really nice, for me, nobody else liked it!

I've got a gluten free (Sorghum & Agave) kettle sour currently resting on fresh apricots which will be bottled when my yellow bottle caps arrive.

• 11 months later...

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

I got Brew by James Morton from @Alex W. for Christmas, so I’m going to attempt an all-grain BIAB in an 11l stock pot from Argos. There’s a recipe for a tropical pale ale in the book I must try.

Pro tip, don’t leave DME in a tub for four years unattended. I had to chuck it, bonded at a molecular level.

86BDB22B-3DA0-44FC-887D-4A84AFA31A6F.thumb.jpeg.e81721237e16b4ac93d178abec9a4c24.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Yes, that's very extreme.

I made a 60ish IBU Pale recently and it's just on the right side of being too bitter. It was meant to have lactose in it to reduce the bitterness but I realised I didn't have any after the hops were already in.

• Upvote 1

To add to the topic - I've got a little 5 litre brew going at the moment.

It was meant to be a kettle sour but I soured with a greek yoghurt which doesn't appear to have imparted any sourness. I'm not sure what I did wrong, could have been one of a number of things including failing to calibrate the PH Meter but currently it just tastes like a wheat beer. I've put in 2 litres of Apricot, Passionfruit and Mango Puree and it's off bubbling again so I'll see how it tastes next week and consider adding in some malic acid to increase the sourness if it needs it.

13 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yes, that's very extreme.

I made a 60ish IBU Pale recently and it's just on the right side of being too bitter. It was meant to have lactose in it to reduce the bitterness but I realised I didn't have any after the hops were already in.

4 hours ago, minstrels said:

For a double IPA of 8-10% that amount of bitterness would be relatively normal. For a 5-6% pale ale it's probably a bit much.

Cheers, I'm going to follow the recipe as-is anyway and see how it turns out- the other online who have tried it sound happy with it so it may just be I've entered my info wrong. It's targeting 7% so I expect a bit of a kick anyway. If it's undrinkable it's only about £15 of ingredients wasted.

11 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Cheers, I'm going to follow the recipe as-is anyway and see how it turns out- the other online who have tried it sound happy with it so it may just be I've entered my info wrong. It's targeting 7% so I expect a bit of a kick anyway. If it's undrinkable it's only about £15 of ingredients wasted.

Are some of the hops meant to be whirlpool / dry hop?

If you have put them in the calculator as boil hops they will impart IBUs when in reality, you are unlikely to get much IBU out of hops after the temperature has dropped below boiling.

9 hours ago, Gaz said:
Are some of the hops meant to be whirlpool / dry hop?

If you have put them in the calculator as boil hops they will impart IBUs when in reality, you are unlikely to get much IBU out of hops after the temperature has dropped below boiling.

There’s a big whirlpool addition and a hefty dry hop but I’d expect the calculator to account for that. It’s 20/20/30g of Citra added at 15/10/5 mins at end of boil that should be providing all the bitterness.

Prepped all my kit; all clean and ready for tomorrow. Exciting!

IMG_20200725_135653.thumb.jpg.cb2e9cfa5497768ea36b13b55a7a3e16.jpg

3 minutes ago, minstrels said:

Drinking one of my own while brewing. :D

I might risk that but they're all 4-7 years old. They're going to be fucking vile by now right?

IMG_20200726_155724.thumb.jpg.0b49b72d1c6d8704c80b8945a9ee9ef0.jpg

So I cracked this open aaaaaand...

Spoiler

... it's actually pretty nice! Still tastes like fizzy malt extract with a whack of hops on top, which is all the kit really was, but I would absolutely sink a few of these. Result.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, minstrels said:

How'd the brewday go?

Not too bad! Some definite learning experiences- eg my brew bag is so fine it just doesn’t want any liquid mixed with hop pellets to pass, like fucking Gandalf- and it’s a lot of work for 4.5l of beer, so I’ll do more next time. But it was quite satisfying having this carboy of beer sitting in the corner of the office today.

The carboy smells fucking delicious.

I dunno if I’ll wait until this is in the bottle before I do another batch. I reckon with some liquoring back I could easily do 10-12l with my setup, so I’m pouring over a copy of Craft Brew by Euan Ferguson looking for something dark, rich and malty to get going.

I've attempted my first all grain brew: just about to bottle an IPA made to a Tiny Rebel recipe. And holy cow I think I've fucked it up royally. I know bottle conditioning  can fix a lot of ills, but giving it a taste after 12 days in the fermenter, it's overly bitter and a bit soapy. I have a horrid feeling I didn't get the temperature down quick enough! Ah well, into the bottles it'll go, and let's see.

• Empathy 1