IGNORED

F3AR

The Shockmaster

Of all the fucking developers they could have given the game to! I can see why they did it, as Day 1 did the pretty-good Xbox version of FEAR and the completely wonkaloid PS3 version, but Jesu Christi, Fracture was so rubbish.

Oh look, they’ve teamed up with John “Ghosts of Mars” Carpenter, and the guy who wrote ’30 Days of Night’. It’s like a mediocrity convention.

I can see why Monolith wanted to move on – they’re probably sick to death of doing grim, scary games set in gloomy locations – but like a stick of rock made out of wood, this has got ‘disappointing’ written all the way through it.

I bought the latest issue of PSM3 today (was released yesterday) and it has the world exclusive reveal of FEAR 3. I'm not sure what the rules are in here but I can type up the whole thing or give keypoints if you would like to know what it said. Don't have a scanner so can't scan the pages in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trailer makes it look like you're playing as Fettel and jumping into different bodies, sounds kind of fun I spose. Fear was always cheesy and mediocre guys, it just controlled really well and had good AI and slo-mo so it was fun. I'm at least willing to see if day 1 can do something interesting, it's not like they have some legacy of amazing Monolith game design to try and live up to. Just make some more stuff in the Fear 2 engine and charge £20 for it, that'll do fine at least. I'm not really looking forward to this in the slightest, but neither was I interested in Fear 2, hence why I enjoyed it so much as a pointless twitch shooter with some fun jumps.

• 3 weeks later...

Coop gameplay from the E3 floor though apologies for the shite quality, trying to find something better. Complete lack of slow mo though unfortunately and I'm still convinced that for my first run coop is not the way I want to play it. It's also just missing cool little touches too such as in FEAR 2 when you got into the power armour your character would pull down the screen and it would change to a grainy screen filter etc. There's supposed to be a Gamespot stage demo today sometime so maybe get some better quality then.

[yt]nA6afTpNfUg[/yt]

Much better walkthrough now on Gametrailers, goes through the whole E3 demo. I'm not really convinced by the whole coop thing but at least Day 1 gets it that if you play single player you are completely alone with no AI buddy (though Paxton Fettel is obviously still a big part of the story) so that's good. Weapons sound really good too, a lot meatier than FEAR 2. Can't really say much about the AI so that's still an unknown and it'll be interesting to see if they've nailed that Monolith 'feel' to the combat.

Still I was expecting a lot worse to be honest and it doesn't look THAT bad.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-f-e-a-r-3/700705

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-f-e-a-r-3/700703

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-f-e-a-r-3/700759

I agree that those vids don't look terrible, it could be fun. However, if FEAR 3 turns out to be decent or even pretty good, I think I'd rather play through the game on my own the first time through. I mean, co-op is almost always fun but it also completely ruins any kind of scary atmosphere or tension. Co-op is better saved for a second playthrough imo even though those vids look somewhat promising.

And I agree that it's a huge relief to hear that they are one of the few devs that understand that you don't need a AI co-op buddy even if the game has co-op. 9 times out of 10 having an AI co-op buddy is shit and the game would have been better without it. The first Halo got it right the first time: an awesome single player experience and when you play it in co-op there's simply a second Master Chief. No explanations needed, just go with it. Amazing how many devs get this wrong because they feel a need to incorporate the presence of a second player into their precious story.

Edit: also lol@"we have so much atmosphere in the game, look there's a lot of blood. Blood and guts, the atmosphere is really great" Makes me fear (no pun intended) that they will get the 'horror'part of the game completely wrong. At one point he's explaining how the constant switching between action and horror makes the FEAR games great, and how horror is essential to game - all the while we're looking at a huge meg blasting everything in its path with rockets and it felt like it went on for far longer than the mech sections ever did in FEAR 2. The horror part was lacking in this demo to say the least.

Well, in most FEARs you're supposed to be some elite soldier squaddie type, so I suppose it at least makes narrative sense (rather than the whole "two Master Chiefs" thing.) At the same time, though, I found the very nature of the solo play incredibly involving, and the tension of creeping through dimly-lit schools and stuff would have probably been less effective if I had some mong shouting in my ear to hurry up all of the time...

• 9 months later...

I really want to be positive but nothing in those trailers impressed me much. The combat doesn't look as good as FEAR 1 or 2 and even the mech combat looks shitter than FEAR 2's.

Come back Monolith please. Wish they would announce their own new game soon. Maybe something at E3 ? I hope.

• 2 months later...