Nintendo 3DS - first thread

As I said, technically feasible, but a lot of hassle to implement. They would only need to keep a record of either of these 2 bits of header data:

0x0-0xb 12 bytes Internal game title - Short

0xc-0xf 4 bytes Game ID

And what with constant firmware updates, doable, but you'd have to really hate parallel imports to be that dedicated to stopping it. :P or just mandate that all new DS games going forward were DSi enhanced ;)

Yep it would fail really badly if it was £300. I'd say youngish kids are the biggest market for handheld machines, the reason the DS is so popular is that it is around £100, a lot less parents would be willing to pay £250-300 for a handheld for their kids. Plus Nintendo usually keep a price for a while don't they? Not the N64 but they seem to have learnt from that, the DS, Gamecube and Wii all launched for a comparatively low price point but maintained it for a fair while.

Nah, he's probably just making it up.

Erm, what?

Some of the Phoenix Wright games, Devil Survivor, 999, Trauma Centre... just off the top of my head games that were delayed for ages over here or didn't even come out at all in Europe. The third Phoenix Wright was a full year between US and EU, for a game that already had English on the Japanese cart! There are plenty more.

That's before discussing things like Slitherlink which never even made it out of Japan.

Super Street Fighter 4 online info.

To play online in Super SFIV 3D Edition, you select "Internet Versus" from the title screen. You'll be able to select quick match, custom match and friend match. Quick match gets you into a match quickly (hence the name). Custom match lets you specify parameters in your search for an opponent. Friend match lets you select an opponent from your friend list.

Famitsu, the source for this information, says that you'll be able to place people on your friend list by exchanging friend codes with them. The magazine doesn't provide further details. Will this be a game-specific friend list and friend code? Or does the 3DS have system-wide implementations of these systems? We'll have to wait for Nintendo to comment.

The game also supports local wireless play through its Versus mode. This mode allows for player vs player, player vs cpu, cpu vs cpu and download play. As with download play options on DS games, download play here will let you transfer a temporary copy of the game to a friend so that you can compete using just one cart.

Both local and online play will work with arcade challenges. Similar to the console Super SFIV games, you'll be able to set 3D Edition to interrupt you with challenges as you play arcade mode. These challenges can come from both local players and online players.

Separate from online play, Famitsu also reveals this week that 3D Edition will have "medals." These appear to function like achievements, as you unlock them by fulfilling certain conditions.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143664p1.html

:)

Erm, what?

Some of the Phoenix Wright games, Devil Survivor, 999, Trauma Centre... just off the top of my head games that were delayed for ages over here or didn't even come out at all in Europe. The third Phoenix Wright was a full year between US and EU, for a game that already had English on the Japanese cart! There are plenty more.

That's before discussing things like Slitherlink which never even made it out of Japan.

:lol: dude I was taking the piss, I'm with you on this! :)

Why they feel it is more safe as opposed to adding someone by use of a nickname is beyond me.

Because personal information can be inferred from usernames. For instance if your screen name was HotChick1994 I'd be able to work out that you're a middle-aged man.

If there's a unified console Friend List then whatever, it's a non-issue. I don't relish the thought of another 5 years of per-game digits, though.

Oh god friend codes... You'd think NIntendo have learned from past mistakes and at the very least have one code per system. Why they feel it is more safe as opposed to adding someone by use of a nickname is beyond me.

Let's face it, it's the same reason the 3DS is having region locking. The Wii did, and that was a massive success. Any criticism that anyone at Nintendo could level against problems like this is probably immediately drowned out by talk like "THIRTY MILLION UNITS SOLD" and quickly their point seems irrelevant. It is a terrible shame though.

I think £200 is a likely early-adopter price and then more like £150 for it's first big christmas (unless it only comes out at christmas of course).

Then as said, it will stay that sort of price for a while. Or go in bundles like the Wii did this Xmas.

I think £200 is a likely early-adopter price and then more like £150 for it's first big christmas (unless it only comes out at christmas of course).

Then as said, it will stay that sort of price for a while. Or go in bundles like the Wii did this Xmas.

That's a lot of money for what is to mum and dad just the new gameboy.

Dunno how much screaming or good behaviour will match the persuasion needed...

I think I got mine with a game for £140 or so, from a crap games shop in Camberley that seemed to be pinning all its hopes on the Gizmondo that year, for some reason. Also I think the PSP was about £180 at launch.

Anymore than that seems like it'd be too high. Or at least, it'd be too high for me.

I suppose for the new 'buzz' piece of kit they'll get away with it. Just seems strange putting a handheld up there in the price bracket of consoles... Maybe I'm just a bit out of touch though, I can't remember what I paid for my DS but as an early adopter I probably got a bit stung.

TheHut, WHSmith, Best Buy UK and Woolworths all peg the 3DS for release on 18th March if you pre-order or 25th March otherwise for an eye-watering £299.93. They each list the 3DS in blue, black and red.

ASDA has the 3DS down for 18th March, but fails to offer a price.

:lol: Placeholder no doubt...

But i'm now expecting £250 at the most.

The entertainment departments of all those sites are owned by The Hut, so it's probably just one person's guess.

It was apparently £99 in Europe according to Wiki but I'm sure that wasn't actually the case... I don't know why but that seems a bit low. Maybe it was always a bit more bundled, as mentioned.

Well they can't really go for anymore than £150 I wouldn't think in that case.

In fact, what the fuck do I know anyway! It will probably be £250 and I'll still buy the bugger :D

:(

:lol: dude I was taking the piss, I'm with you on this! :)

Oops, sorry! If it makes any difference I'm having a hella stressful few days :coffee:

Some of the games and the awesome gadgetyness really make me want this system, but I'm determined not to get suckered in to early adoption this time, especially since the iPod Touch covers my portable game needs just fine. Incredibly, I think the first console I ever actually bought at launch was the DS, and the second was the DS Lite. That was money well spent on the DS, then.

im hearing lots of talk about eyestrain after a very short of time playing the device,especially when stuff `comes out of the screen` and that devs are turning the 3d effect way down during use :mellow:

The effects of 3D on the wider population is still an unknown, as most people haven't experienced it. I didn't realise until recently there there are people who physically can't see passive or active 3D, because their brains are retarded. So reports of eye strain could well be true, but whether that will be the case for everyone, or just the above wrong-eyed spongoloids, remains to be seen.

I have no problems with passive 3D in the cinema, but the occasions I've watched 3D TVs, I have felt a definite eye strain after a very short time watching it. I would assume the parallax view 3D of the 3DS would be less likely to fuck with your eyes, but until the 3DS is released, who knows?

im hearing lots of talk about eyestrain after a very short of time playing the device,especially when stuff `comes out of the screen` and that devs are turning the 3d effect way down during use :mellow:

When I played on it, I found myself preferring plain 2D or a very slight 3D effect. It's something to use subtle, not at volume 11.

As I said, technically feasible, but a lot of hassle to implement. They would only need to keep a record of either of these 2 bits of header data:

0x0-0xb 12 bytes Internal game title - Short

0xc-0xf 4 bytes Game ID

Plus a descriptor of region, plus probably a checksum bit. Say 32 bytes in total.

But there's around 1200 DS games, I believe, most of which have been released in multiple regions - Europe, US&Canada, Japan, Korea, Anzak, South America, Middle East, India. We're talking about a sizable file which would have to be referenced every time a game was loaded. I agree that it's technically feasible, but from a logistcal point of view - of keeping the list updated and policing it - it's not.

Pokemon Black and White are region locked on the DSi

They are, in effect, DSi games.

That's a lot of money for what is to mum and dad just the new gameboy.

Dunno how much screaming or good behaviour will match the persuasion needed...

Not a lot. Many kids were bought an iPod Nano (£130), iPod Touch (£160), or other similar things this year.

Playing a supposed 3D game at an almost "mute" level sounds stupid.

But then you think...shit. this is Nintendo. They know how to make a device work, they will intergrate it and everyone will love it. This guy is talking shite.

But then you think Virtual Boy. The device that was so poor, Tomy did it better.

While trying to find the DS launch price I found this excellent Way of the Rodent article, which I have always loved.

http://wayoftherodent.com/features/psp%20v%20ds%20op.htm

Maybe it'll be this time that mobile games kill off Nintendo instead.

Funnily enough, I was thinking that if they peg the 3DS at £250 or above, I may well get an iPhone 4 instead, anecdotal though that may be.

March lineup. (Japan)

Nintendo gave its 3DS calendar a big update today, with timeframes for additional titles that are due out past launch.

The big addition is the list of games that are now confirmed for March.

As you might have seen at our 3DS release calendar, the following were previously given March dates:

* 3/11: Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)

* 3/17: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (Ubisoft)

* 3/24: Dead or Alive Dimensions (Tecmo Koei)

* 3/24: Gundam The 3D Battle (Namco Bandai)

* 3/24: Rabbids Time Travel (Ubisoft)

* 3/31: BlazBlue Continuum Shift II (Arc System Works)

* 3/31: Pro Baseball Famisuta 2011 (Namco Bandai)

The updated Nintendo calendar (and we've updated our calendar to match) now lists the following with general March time frames:

* Asphalt 3D Nitro Racing (Konami)

* Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami)

* The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)

* Tsukurou Ponta no Gardens 3D (Electronic Arts)

* Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft)

* Naruto Shippuuden Nin Rittai Emaki! Saikyou Ninkai Kessen!! (Takara Tomy)

* Virus Shooter XX (Dorasu)

* Steel Diver (Nintendo)

* Nikoli Puzzle (Hmaster)

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/13/3ds_march_lineup/

:)