Nintendo 3DS - first thread

I thought I was pretty much the only person in the world who had played that! What a great game it is too - I'd love to see an update :)

I was always tempted to try it out... is it hard to play with no japanese knowlage? If so i may track a copy down!

Just pre-ordered Resident evil revalations! Zavvi are the only one doing it with the second stick so i got from there - £29.99.

I got star fox at xmas, only played once though.. died at end boss :( must go back through.

is it too late for this Kid icarus 3d game for free? I hear you gotta register a game.. i have mario , mario kart and starfox..

edit: i see its january 31st.. plenty of time then. doubt ill really play it though!

So, i just found out that ex-Treasure wunderkind and all-round action game genius Hiroshi Iuchi (director of Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga) has a G-Rev produced overhead tank shooter coming out soon. Your tank apparantly has a slow rate of fire - one bullet on screen.

I envisage 'Kokuga' being ported to XBLA / PSN rather than see a European 3DS release but i can live in hope.

So, i just found out that ex-Treasure wunderkind and all-round action game genius Hiroshi Iuchi (director of Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga) has a G-Rev produced overhead tank shooter coming out soon. Your tank apparantly has a slow rate of fire - one bullet on screen.

I envisage 'Kokuga' being ported to XBLA / PSN rather than see a European 3DS release but i can live in hope.

HPSS_A03.jpg

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks sweet, and reminds me of the Neo-Geo classic Viewpoint. Winning!

Just pre-ordered Resident evil revalations! Zavvi are the only one doing it with the second stick so i got from there - £29.99.

Me too. Preordered from them, I mean. Who even remembers Zavvi exist anymore?? I got both HMV and Amazon vouchers for Christmas too :facepalm:

I was always tempted to try it out... is it hard to play with no japanese knowlage? If so i may track a copy down!

It requires basic katakana comprehension but nothing too in-depth. Once you know where everything is, it's pretty easy to play. I wrote a short FAQ for it for a mate of mine many moons ago so if you do manage to find it somewhere, and want a little help, PM me and I'll send that on to you.

Still no damn email! It's a good job I have a billion other things to play.

You giving them crap about it? I find the only way to get their attention is to threaten to talk to webistes, consumer groups etc. Seems to work wonders. Lat 3 times they ignored me I used this tactic and each time I heard back in 24 hours

I'm so glad I bought the Zelda 25th Anniversary Edition 3DS hardware. Compared to my old launch console, it's better on all accounts. It has a brighter screen (when brightness is set at the same value as on my old 3DS, the screen is brighter too) better battery life, the top screen doesn't get marks on it when it's closed, and the overall build quality is just better - D pad is set a little bit higher than on my old machine, and the buttons feel better to use. It's lighter too.

Ocarina of Time was bundled with the console. I never actually played Ocarina of Time before but I'm glad I've completed both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, since starting this game, I haven't played a lot of anything else. It's very good and there are times I almost feel as if I'm taking part in a Hayao Miyazaki film. The only Zelda game I've ever completed was The Minish Cap, but I'm definately completing Ocarina of Time too.

Bought Cave Story 3D too a couple of days ago, which is great too (OMG, It's Metroid!), but I think it's better to concentrate on Zelda for now - and Pullblox!

Transfered everything from my old 3DS so now I also have the Ambassador Games to enjoy on my new hardware.

Without a doubt the 3DS is the best handheld ever made.

I am having problems connecting to mk7 online games. I get as far as the character selection screen then it just hangs forever on the globe searching for games.....

I can of course connect to app store etc...

Any ideas?

Well, I'm just slightly annoyed rather than pissed off. I'll cope for a few days :)

Fair enough :)

I'm still waiting for them to add my Ambassador games. Got a mail on Christmas Day saying it would be done, but it would take some time. I've sent a very polite email since asking how long that is, but no reply. I'll hold fire for another week, but then another ranty mail goes to them (which I know they will reply to). Sad, but true.

I see Shinobi is down to £13 at Zavvi, if anyone is interested.

I've got this(£12.98 from GAME). Haven't played lots as I'm still chewing through Spectre's Call, but it seems to be decent so far. You keep a lot of moves from MD Revenge and Shinobi III, like the shuriken spray, double jump and flying kick. Shuriken are again limited, but now katana attack and shuriken are split onto separate buttons. You also have a chain/grapple hook (think this debuted in GG Shinobi?) which also adds some [REMOVED for DeKay] to the levels, along with 3's wall-jump.

You have a charge move for the katana (to do extra damage) and can do a three hit combo too. The gameplay's score-multiplyer based (taken from PS2 Shinobi, IIRC) so getting decents chains together is crucial to a decent rating at the end of level.

The biggest change is that you can parry with the R button. I've not fully tested it but so far all regular moves can be parried, which gives you a bigger score and, of course, is a good answer to the 'problem' of the earlier games i.e. that levels had unfair bottle necks which disrupted the flow fo the game. Get good at this one and I expect you can run through seamlessly.

So far it comes over as a mish-mash of the Super Shinobi lineage and the score ethos of the PS2 game. I've enjoyed what I've played quite a bit.