Nintendo 3DS - first thread

from 1up on famitsu:

- Tales of the Abyss (8/8/7/8, 31 points): The 3DS port of Namco's PS2 RPG scores quite a bit lower than the original, which Famitsu gave straight 9's in 2005. Judging by the review text, this is mainly due to a lack of new features apart from the 3D gimmick. "It's always nice to play a portable RPG with all of this voice work," one reviewer said. "It's well-made and doesn't feel old, but there also hasn't been much added to it, although touch-screen skill selection on the bottom screen is nice."

"The story unfolds in epic fashion," another added, "and the large number of skits adds depth to the tale. However, some of the text displays are pretty small, including the status screen. The delay in changing viewpoints on the field map is also annoying."

Loading time is the big benifit! I may pick it up tonight after work :)

Yeah, I hope the port is OK. I feel like I'm buying blind a bit, but I loved Vesperia and Symphonia so more of the same will be absolutely fine. :)

If it helps, CVG has a positive review of the Japanese version here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/317935/reviews/tales-of-the-abyss-review/

It got a healthy 31/40 from Famitsu:

http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-tales-abyss

And you can find a 3DS vs PS2 screenshot comparison here:

http://nintendoeverything.com/52267/

Edit: Beaten to the 1UP link by shynra! :)

Some initial impressions. It looks great on the 3DS screen, the graphics are not noticeably better than the PS2 version but the are a lot clearer on the 3DS screen with none of the blurriness I experienced during my brief play of the PS2 version on a tft screen. Voice work is to the usual Tales standard so far so good but not great and there is no language option so you're stuck with the American voice acting. There are some minor loading times when you move between rooms and areas but these are no where near as bad as the PS2 version. I just have to drag myself away from Mario 3D Land and Skyward Sword to put some time into it.

Haven't seen any talk about Tetris 3DS, but from what I've played so far (arrived this morning) its really feature-packed in modes, alot which are truly fun, if your into, you know, Tetris.

I've seen people slamming in against the DS version for not having the Nintendo 'feel' about it but I disliked that aspect personally of that title (not to mention some mechanic changes). I'm playing Tetris, I expect Tetris music, not Mario. (Yes it was still in there, but not selectable by default/marathon couldn't be changed into a plain background).

You can no longer infinitely juggle a piece in this one, which I'm thankful for. Can change backgrounds and piece colours. With more unlockable by the looks of things. 3D adds about as much to Tetris as you'd expect.

It could beat Tetris DX/The New Tetris (N64) for me, possibly. The latter had ALOT of replay value that hasn't been seen since in any Tetris, though. But I'm happy the mechanics feel tighter then the last few console/handheld versions over the years. Online is in there, quickly trashed by a Japanese bloke.

Er, so did anyone else pick up the zelda 3ds? I got mine in gamestation earlier. They gave me £111 (after price matching CEX) for my black 3ds which isnt too bad considering I bought it for £115 3 months ago.

Must say the zelda console looks very nice indeed. A very nice piece of kit for a big zelda fan (ie, me).

Er, so did anyone else pick up the zelda 3ds? I got mine in gamestation earlier. They gave me £111 (after price matching CEX) for my black 3ds which isnt too bad considering I bought it for £115 3 months ago.

Must say the zelda console looks very nice indeed. A very nice piece of kit for a big zelda fan (ie, me).

Did they let you do a system transfer before you traded it in? Otherwise I assume you'd lose all your Ambassador games.

GUYS IM GOING TO TARGET RIGHT NOW BRB

(seriously tho, thanks)

Is Starfox good? loved it on the N64

Yes it's Starfox 64 but better than you remember. Looks beautiful. Great for quick plays as you can do a playthrough in 30 mins.

Ps; Great decision!

Excellent! I'll get that and I like the sound of Tetris too.

I ordered it from Best Buy in the end as it was the same price, and I'm feeling lazy and don't want to move from the sofa.

I'm flying back to the UK for Christmas and then doing a bit of traveling for work so perfect timing.

Thanks!