Nintendo 3DS - first thread

Troublegum

I've had four Streetpass hits so far, in and around Manchester :) Absolutely brilliant feature that wouldn't really work on a non-Nintendo device.

I saw Grainger Games are selling 3DS titles for a pretty respectable £33 instore, too.

Never played the original one but Nintendogs has been stuck in the 3DS for a few days :wub:

My pug

post-4742-094030100 1301602759_thumb.jpg

post-4742-030905100 1301602708_thumb.jpg

Not happy with Kirbys arse on his head

post-4742-024074800 1301603283_thumb.jpg

Beano cat at the night café. Silly cats.

post-4742-072111000 1301602796_thumb.jpg

Very cute! I saw that pissed off looking cat earlier in the cafe too. I'm really liking the game so far... it just feels... happy? Or something. I'm getting a lot of satisfaction out of training my pup. She won the lure competition earlier, here's a pic below.

and here's said unimpressed French cat...

plus one with her silly Toad hat on using the AR cards

and unrelated - but one of the Pikmin on my Portal Companion Cube. Because... well, why not?

Hmm I don't think I played that one, I played one of the other Wii ones but I get confused as there's a bunch now. It's just straight to the point platforming. In terms of the environments and worlds it's all Travel in Time again. It can get a bit repetitive seeing the same backgrounds over like 15 or however many levels are in each world, once you reach the last few. But it's pretty solid in terms of gameplay - feels like Mario meets LittleBigPlanet with the jumping etc. I've noticed if you play like me... with the analog stick, sometimes the jumping can be a bit hit and miss or laggy. It's got the usual Rabbids loads of unlockables, statues, costumes etc.

Please could you tell us a bit more? It sounds and looks pretty bog-standard as far as platformers go. My girlfriend loves to play LittleBigPlanet with me and is always kept interested by its little innovations every level or so, and generally prefers 'old-skool' 2D titles over 3D roamers that are common these days. I might be tempted by it if it isn't the same level rejigged 60 times.

Please could you tell us a bit more? It sounds and looks pretty bog-standard as far as platformers go. My girlfriend loves to play LittleBigPlanet with me and is always kept interested by its little innovations every level or so, and generally prefers 'old-skool' 2D titles over 3D roamers that are common these days. I might be tempted by it if it isn't the same level rejigged 60 times.

Hmm, well it does get quite repetitive I've noticed already, there's a bunch of levels on each world - and though the worlds themselves change as you travel in time (therefore the environments) which is cool and all... by the last handful of levels on each one it does feel very tired and rehashed, not only in terms of just aesthetic and background but the actual gameplay mechanic of jumping, etc etc. They do introduce newer things along the play such as things to grab onto (much like LBP) and swing across and new obstacles to bash, as well as new Mario style power up type things that can make you invincible for a period of time or jump higher. It may change as you get further in, I'm not majorly into the worlds yet. But it's certainly not as innovative or captivating as LBP.

Rabbids Go Home is the Wii game which is actually a proper game and not a collection of minigames. You collect junk to build a tower to the moon.

It's ace. If the 3DS one is more like that than the others, I'm interested!

its quite strange but my eyes seem to not have problems with the 3d at all now, although i downloaded some 3d pics from the net and one made my eyes go crazy.

anyway really liking it so far. tried most the apps, lots to it. street quest looks like it could be good fun. took my 3ds out tonight when i went for dinner but no such luck at coming close to anyone else with one.

i really wish music could multitask though, like i could play my own music during games (like with xbox i guess). seems a bit silly to limit it to just inside the music app.

its quite strange but my eyes seem to not have problems with the 3d at all now, although i downloaded some 3d pics from the net and one made my eyes go crazy.

anyway really liking it so far. tried most the apps, lots to it. street quest looks like it could be good fun. took my 3ds out tonight when i went for dinner but no such luck at coming close to anyone else with one.

i really wish music could multitask though, like i could play my own music during games (like with xbox i guess). seems a bit silly to limit it to just inside the music app.

Agreed in regards to the in game music aspect.

I maybe in the minority but Ridge Racers music gets on my tits.

I'm not sure that the lack of custom soundtracks in Ridge Racer means that you won't be able to implement them at all, just that Namco decided not to use them for this particular game. Maybe future releases will have custom soundtracks; I don't think the hardware is incapable of it, though perhaps someone else could set me straight on this.

Agreed in regards to the in game music aspect.

I maybe in the minority but Ridge Racers music gets on my tits.

yeah this is in regards to ridge racer actually. the music is pretty crap and id rather be listening to some decent tunes during the races. im sure its possible for games in play music, just will have to wait i guess..

Connected to my works internet. Says connected.

However go to the add friends, and it says im offline?

Wait about 10 seconds on that screen, mine sometimes does that.

If that doesn't work, it might be your proxy or something on a work connection?

Wait about 10 seconds on that screen, mine sometimes does that.

If that doesn't work, it might be your proxy or something on a work connection?

Added the proxy details, that was the only way I could even connect to the wifi. ill give it a go in a bit.

The thing about street pass though is that you need to know about it... My mum bought a 3DS (honest!) but had no idea about the pedometer or street pass stuff until I explained it

You don't need to know about it, as such. It's automatically loaded when you start Mii Plaza for the first time (or any other game, after a prompt), and whenever you go to turn the machine off, it advises you to put it to sleep instead. It's actively encouraging you to use the feature, which I think is brilliant!

What's not so brilliant is the battery life. It was on half charge last night, and I left it 'sleeping' all night. This morning it was completely dead. So you'd get about a day of sleep mode out of it from full charge, I reckon.

Compared to, say, my iPod Touch (which also has active wireless features while sleeping), that's really poor. I guess I'm going to have to charge the 3DS every night, or occasionally turn it right off. :(

You can set the 3D focus in pictures (at least you can in ones you've taken).

See how much your eyes are willing to work by sliding the focal point as far as it will go either side (with the circle pad). It gets a bit mad at the extreme ends!

3DS was sat there closed on standby all day, and I open it up to resume a game of Ghost Recon. Just getting started and I get a screen saying that I need to power off and restart the console. I do this, restart the game, reach the same point, and both screens just go black. Hold down power for quite a while and it seems to reset OK and the game is running OK now.

I'm on the latest firmware, so will look forward to the updates that come over the next couple of months as they iron post-launch bugs.

I'm not sure that the lack of custom soundtracks in Ridge Racer means that you won't be able to implement them at all, just that Namco decided not to use them for this particular game. Maybe future releases will have custom soundtracks; I don't think the hardware is incapable of it, though perhaps someone else could set me straight on this.

the issue is more that it would be good if the OS handled that stuff so that individual developers don't have to worry about it (like on xbox 360). maybe there's a good reason for not having that on the 3DS, but it's still a bit annoying that it's not there, especially if like me you're mostly playing a game which you are so used to playing on 360 with your own music replacing the game soundtrack. maybe the xbox has just been spoiling us too much with its music playing, message sending, friends inviting OS, but it's still disappointing to not have it on 3DS.

For all these people having black screens and crashes have you tried formatting the SD card when its in the 3DS? Just be interesting to see if this fixes the issue.

It doesn't fix it, apparently - though we don't know yet if it reduces the problem.