IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS - first thread

Troublegum

Any idea of price or disc format, Im all over this.

Tech spech sheet:

Nintendo 3DS Game Card: 2 GB Max. at launch.

A port that accepts both Nintendo 3DS game cards and game cards for the Nintendo

DS™ family of systems, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a

charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack.

Looks like PSP-level graphics. Possibly better if those MGS screens are anything to go by!

Eurogamer said, "It's a new DS with hugely improved graphical performance - eclipsing PSP and getting close to Wii - a beautiful widescreen display..."

Okay, is it just me who thinks the actualy design of the thing is kind of ugly? I don't like the ridge around the bottom screen, those bevelled hinges, the two-tone colour scheme, the wonky profile, the huge bezel at the top and the way it has the same dimensions as the DS Lite. It seems they're deliberately giving it a light roughing up with the ugly stick so the can release a prettier version a year or two later.

Still going to buy it day one though, as the idea really intrigues me and it seems to have an impressive lineup of games. I'm such a sucker.

Eurogamer said, "It's a new DS with hugely improved graphical performance - eclipsing PSP and getting close to Wii - a beautiful widescreen display..."

Until someone starts talking in flops, I don't care. ;)

3D Professor Layton cutscenes in a decent resolution and presumably with less horrible horrible compression! Yay! Come to think of it, is this going to be cartridge based again? Can't we just download all the games to the SD? Pfft. I'm going to have to have a little case for all my carts again, just like I've done with every nintendo handheld I've owned since I was 7. It has a nerdy, nostalgic charm to it, but at the same time it's really bloody annoying.

This thing is made for a version of Super Mario Galaxy.

I'd just come back in here to post that, after fully digesting my copied quote from EG about the graphical performance being 'close to a Wii'. Can you imagine?! This:

supermariogalaxy460.jpg

...in 3D?

In your hands? Oh...nnng...the...there it is. I need a tissue.

3D Professor Layton cutscenes in a decent resolution and presumably with less horrible horrible compression! Yay! Come to think of it, is this going to be cartridge based again? Can't we just download all the games to the SD? Pfft. I'm going to have to have a little case for all my carts again, just like I've done with every nintendo handheld I've owned since I was 7.

Again, to quote EG, "...on the back of the unit is cartridge slot that seems wider than that on previous DS units. " Curious. It absolutely must be DS compatible, so maybe they've got that wrong? Or maybe the slot can take both DS carts and a new, larger sized 3DS cart? Whatever, it seems cart based, nonetheless.

I'd just come back in here to post that, after fully digesting my copied quote from EG about the graphical performance being 'close to a Wii'. Can you imagine?! This:

supermariogalaxy460.jpg

...in 3D?

In your hands? Oh...nnng...the...there it is. I need a tissue.

Sure, but Wind Waker 3D adventuring is much more arousing a prospect to me ;)

As far as battery life goes I don't see it being too bad. While its powering a larger top screen its very likely using a stupidly efficient GPU/CPU (power efficency on mobile stuff has come on leaps and bounds over the past two years) and has a much more powerful battery too boot. I think you'll see a battery life roughly simular to the current DSi. Love to know whose making the GPU because it looks pretty big power wise. Seems to be chuncking about roughly the same amount of polygons as the gamecube was. All in all the fact that this fits into the DSi's case is an amazing peice of engineering.

Okay, is it just me who thinks the actualy design of the thing is kind of ugly? I don't like the ridge around the bottom screen, those bevelled hinges, the two-tone colour scheme, the wonky profile, the huge bezel at the top and the way it has the same dimensions as the DS Lite. It seems they're deliberately giving it a light roughing up with the ugly stick so the can release a prettier version a year or two later.

Still going to buy it day one though, as the idea really intrigues me and it seems to have an impressive lineup of games. I'm such a sucker.

Yeah I think it looks a bit shit, like the oldskool Nintendo DS launch model. EEW! To see if I was mental or not I showed my lady who doesn't mind playing the DSi but she was like :/ what's with the gross colours and Fisher Price shape. Then I boned her in the ass whilst watching Come Dine With Me.

It's almost like it's a bit blatant that they purposefully left it rough around the edges so that the inevitable Lite model shipped 1.5 years from looks suitably upgraded enough.

But I don't care, the games look great. GREAT. Fuck! For once there's quite a variety and fresh outlook to look forward too. ;)

I read somewhere (but not seen it confirmed, so treat this as rumour) that Nintendo said they'd have the 3DS out this financial year. So probably not before Christmas.

Very hard to say if it will make this year. Personally I think it may release with just a few games (most likely is starfox as thats probably quite quick to remake). Pilotwings could make it (seems to use the same engine as wii sports resort and probably reuses a ton of assets as well).

My number 1 wish: I hope they use a big brass door hinge to connect the top and bottom screen.

Just think about the number of broken DSs out there that have fallen from peoples hands and end up getting binned.

about as outrages as the 360 rrod fiasco.

My number 1 wish: I hope they use a big brass door hinge to connect the top and bottom screen.

Just think about the number of broken DSs out there that have fallen from peoples hands and end up getting binned.

about as outrages as the 360 rrod fiasco.

To be fair, if you're that spack-handed that you can't hold on to something with value, you clearly don't deserve nice things.

Equating the 360 RROD fiasco to something caused by being a retard = ;)