rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Sherlock

I'm half hour into The Final Problem... it's dreadful. What the hell happened to this show?

EDIT: oh god, one last Mary appearance :facepalm:  That was utter drivel from start to finish. Quite a staggering achievement to concoct something that so eagerly wanted to burrow up its own arsehole right from the opening scene.

I was about to come on here and praise that episode.  

I've been reading the last few pages looking like this:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

It's fine to like it. I think that if you get caught up in the performance and spectacle, I imagine it's quite an event because new Sherlock is so rare. But having to overlook an increasing number of inconsistencies as the series moves on makes you hanker for the earlier episodes.

There's still pleasure to be derived from it and nothing this series has annoyed me as much as the wedding episode which feels like it was 5 years ago now.

Maybe if you told us what you liked about it we might be able to appreciate it more through your opinion of it.

• Upvote 4

I guess I just didn't notice the plotholes other people did and just thought it was 90 minutes of enjoyable entertainment.  I've always found the series to be really good escapism, and I would agree that it's not as good as it once was, but the chemistry between the main characters (especially Sherlock, Watson and Mycroft) was as strong as ever.  Eurus was particularly menacing (Toby Jones wins this season's award for creepiest villain though) and the 'maze' idea I thought was pretty cool.

Was it far fetched?  Yeah of course it was but that's not anything new to the series! But at the end of the day I was hooked, and it had my attention throughout.

Negatives? Mary appearing at the end may have been a way to sew the series together but I think her story ended at the end of episode 2 so there was no need for her to return.  Reminded me of Rose Tyler in Dr Who.  Overkill (pun intended).  The plane storyline didn't end particularly satisfactorily for me, but I'd sort of worked out it was here by that point anyway.  So it wasn't perfect by any means.

Anyway - I've absolutely no problem reading people's posts who think differently about this.  They're opinions and at least they're put forward in a decent way so I certainly haven't been reading this thread thinking "dammit!  What's WRONG with you???" I think I was just expecting a different overall reaction to the series.  Totally agree that it's not been the best series of Sherlock but overall I'd say it's been pretty good.

Each to their own and all that - I've enjoyed all 3 episodes.

• Upvote 5

Finally finished this last night. I had quite a lot to say about it, several questions to ask but to be honest nothing has really stayed in my mind other than how much utter bollocks it was.

I'm going to watch the Jeremy Brett ones again. I've seen them three times already but they don't go to complete shit after two series, although it is pretty heartbreaking to see Brett getting sicker.

a0ce74bc4025f20e59fd0e9a69e54f64.jpg

• Upvote 3

hmm maybe it is because i expected it to be terrible but I actually quite liked a chunk of that final episode. Obviously it is wildly inconsistent and the suspension of disbelief that Euros had set up the Crystal Maze (or the Crystal Meth) like some weird hybrid of The Cube and Saw was obviously preposterous but I think that what the episode was trying to do (and by extension her plan) was to put Sherlock into situations to test his morality, thinking under pressure, impact of emotions etc and this was just a quick (and slightly lazy way) for the writers to convey this.

Effectively Euros was trapped in her own mind and had constructed the plane analogy/metaphor to try to cope and by putting Sherlock through the tests was setting him up to rescue her? Call back to Watson needing to rescue Sherlock in the second episode (Sherlock getting himself to hell in order to force Watson to act) and think this was what they were trying to do with this. 

Itfelt like they wanted to paint thepure intellectual prowess of the Holmes siblings as being like this

Sherlock being considerably less brilliant than Mycroft and nowhere in Euros's League

Mycroft being brighter than Sherlock but not as gifted as Euros

Euros being beyond the other two by a considerable distance

However this brilliance comes with a price. Euros became lost as she was so detached from emotion. She saw emotion as a weakness, a distraction. The whole episode had her questioning why morality matters or what difference innocence or guilt make. She would be a true sociopath. No empathy etc

Mycroft too lacks emotion or empathy (through out the series but learns it by the end of this episode? the speech putting down Watson in order to make it easier for Sherlock to shoot Mycroft?)

Essentially they are both just brilliant children - lacking emotioal depth, social skills and failing to develop into rounded human beings, prizing intellect above all else.

Meanwhile Sherlock has been affected by the trauma of Euros' actios with Redbeard and it has affected him into adulthood (hence him pushing people away and failing to make romantic connections etc presumably as the repressed memory inhibits him from getting too close so he can't lose a friend aain) making him emotionally distant. 

However emotionally he is far beyond Euros and Mycroft and through his interactions with Watson (and Mary) and in particular Molly and Irene Adler as well as Lestrade he has learned the value of emotions and friendship and is the strongest and most gifted and therefore most grounded of all of the Holmes siblings.He is the most rounded and "complete" of the three of them. The only one who is fully developed and an "adult" emotionally compared to his siblings. This is the reason he is able to "rescue" his sister from the emotional prison she has constructed for herself. The solitude of loneliness trapping her in her own intellect.

Or maybe it was all bobbins :)

I said it in the Jonathan Creek thread but I do think the strongest episodes are the ones with more "local" problems (for local people we'll have no trouble here) rather than these grand sweeping "global" type storylines involving secret agencies and the like. Half expect if they do another series that Sherlock will defeat Isis, solve the mystery of the pyramids and using the sarcophagus located within to triangulate with Stone Henge and the Easter Island heads to transmit a message to an alien civilisation.

The writers need to realise that it is far more satisfying for viewers to have the clues available to them and probably not figure it out themselves during the episode but in hindsight realise it was right there before them (e.g. on a rewatch etc) than to make ludicrous leaps of logic. Most of the time you don't have a chance to. the fun should be in seeing how Sherlock deduces things and then pieces it together but too often we don't have any of the pieces and then in the explanation they justnthrow in some other key facts too. Too often the writers paint themselves into a corner and then come up with a ludicrous escape clause where they would be far better going back a few pages and re-writing things to prevent themselves getting trapped to start with! A clever puzzle with an elegant solution is far more satisfying than Sherlock: Super Agent

• Upvote 2

Whilst I enjoyed the Toby Jones episode of the 3 I also found it a little distasteful. The none so subtle Jimmy Saville nods were a little cringe worthy since I don't see Sherlock as been a TV series that can explore these type of thing with any gravitas, mainly due to the writing been shit and it's inclusion as been some sort of effort to be "edgey". I mean, they even used the "hiding in plain sight" line which used extensively in relation to Saville.

I also found the increasing amount of plot twisting to be confusing and annoying more than entertaining.

• Upvote 1

Thing is - they never showed how Euros was so much smarter than either of them (beyond reprogramming people with conversation..which was never explained/demonstrated)...the best they did was pretend that a professional psycologist would have described her as "an era defining intellect" at age 5.

It's show, not tell - and it gives the audience no reason to believe as her as threat.

The Holmes children are emotionally stunted geniuses, but there is very little from their parents to suggest why that should be the case.  (The geniuses bit was mentioned in S3, I think, but how they ended up with the three most intelligent people on the planet?)

"We had a fourth one.  Complete dumbarse.  Ended up changing his name to Stephen Hawking."

• Upvote 2

Ive tried to get into this but i cant. Is there a specific episode that could convert me? I really like Elementary though, but theres something about Sherlock irks me.

On 1/16/2017 at 00:36, JPickford said:

One day, someone will make a version of Sherlock Holmes where they don't put the stupid 'b' on the front door.    He rents the upstairs rooms in 221 Baker St. from the widow Mrs Hudson.   The 'b' is his address but it's not on the street door.

I've seen claims that the real-life occupier of 221 Baker St (Barclays?) insisted on this to discourage tourists taking photos. The Sherlock Holmes museum also uses 221b as its building name to avoid confusion. No idea if it's true or not. 

I'm not really familiar with the books so they may contradict this idea, but maybe 221 Baker Street was originally bloody massive and then got chopped up; there could be a 221a next door (and presumably still a 221 next to that) so 221b is actually on the front door of Mrs Hudson's place, which has now been further sub-divided :P 

• Upvote 1

I don't get how Euros managed to escape unnoticed. The 'explanation' seemed to be that the glass wasn't actually there - was this it? Was the sign saying 'Keep 3 feet away' just floating in mid-air then?

Thought this series was poor overall - it's going the same way as Jonathan Creek, too clever for its own good.

.. and then when Sherlock and co are locked up before their crystal maze run ... the glass was back. with no mention of how it had got back.