Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

2 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how to get cross-play working for my 11-year-old, who had Bedrock edition on PS4?

I've not read any Kafka, but the two hours I spent on Saturday could probably be described as a Kafkaesque vicious circle of defeat.

So far I have:

Created my daughter a PSN account

Created her a Microsoft account

Gave her all the relevant permissions on my PSN family management thing so she can play online

Connected her PSN account to the Minecraft account

Got her to connect to a friend via Outlook, so they can see each other within Minecraft

Somehow ended up creating XBOX Live gamertags for both her and me

Changing all the Microsoft settings as her guardian, so she can play online.

She got invited to a 'Realm' from a friend, but when she tries to join, it says that she cannot play due to how her account has been set up. I'm caught between a bazillion different help articles, and I have no idea.

So I end up just telling her to play Fortnite instead, but it's absurd really.

Anyone else experienced this nonsense? Is it just easier to change her date of birth so that she looks over 13? Because you really shouldn't have to do that for bloody Minecraft.

Have you done all the Privacy & online safety -> Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety settings for their GamerTag in MS account settings?

From what I remember it took a while for that to actually take effect.

All my son’s worlds have suddenly become inaccessible, with the message “there was a problem loading this world”.

My worlds load fine when I am signed in.

Anyone else had this or know what can be done? He’s going to be devastated if he can’t get them back. This is on Series X. Reinstalling and cache clearing hasn’t solved it. 

5 hours ago, Pob said:

All my son’s worlds have suddenly become inaccessible, with the message “there was a problem loading this world”.

My worlds load fine when I am signed in.

Anyone else had this or know what can be done? He’s going to be devastated if he can’t get them back. This is on Series X. Reinstalling and cache clearing hasn’t solved it. 

Hi my Xbox did this too. I deleted the game and reinstalled and they all came back randomly a few weeks later ..

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Do you have to go to the official Minecraft site to buy the pc version? I was looking for it on the windows store and could only see a lot of Dungeons stuff. 

The Java version is sold from the official site. The native Windows 10 version is sold from the Microsoft Store.

Don’t know if it’s still a thing, but I was given a code for the Windows 10 version when I bought the Java version.

• 4 weeks later...

Part 1 of Caves and Cliffs is out. How do these biomes updates work? I've got a survival realm with the kids, although we've not progressed much beyond our little village by the water. Basically, the area of map immediately around the world spawn. If we go wondering, will we see cliffs, the new blocks, etc? Or do we need to start over by deleting the realm game and generating a new one?

think as biomes are generated when needed, you'd be good to stick with what you've got, but clarification would be nice.

But more importantly, don't go throwing away your realm just yet, because the new biomes come in the next update, not this one. 

Minecraft worlds are split up into 16x16 chunks, which are generated the first time you enter them. Your immediate surroundings won’t change with this update, but wander further away and you should start finding some of the new blocks.

My wife spent last night digging for copper in her favourite world, so it’s definitely out there.

That's awesome. I figured some of it was dynamic, otherwise we'd be restarting constantly. My lad was worried about Seed number or something, but perhaps that just affects your immediate surroundings upon spawn.

19 minutes ago, TehStu said:

That's awesome. I figured some of it was dynamic, otherwise we'd be restarting constantly. My lad was worried about Seed number or something, but perhaps that just affects your immediate surroundings upon spawn.

The seed is a number generated on starting a world that is used in all generation activities. So when you start the world for the first time it uses that to generate the first few local chunks (the 16x16 areas). When a new chunk is needed because you travel to it the same seed number is used to generate that too.

So the seed is important but each new chunk generated uses the latest version of the generation algorithm with the existing seed number to produce the new areas and can hence include the new stuff.