IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

On 02/06/2016 at 8:56 AM, tnman said:

Reeeeeet then.

Please see above few posts nice tagged people! :) Basically - would you like to mine and craft on the original pre-1.0 server again? Or are you long done with this game?

Haven't installed it on this new machine (which I got 3 years ago) but it'd be nice to have a wander around! In a sling for the next few weeks so probably couldn't get bac kto my railway-building antics for the time being.

My favourite incarnation of Mukville was the first one I played on, with the football stadium and the cathedral. It was a real tragedy that the huge rail system never worked (at least not without crashing the server!). If I had to choose a world to resurrect it would be that one, as by far the most impressive - but sadly it was huge and only contains the original grassy biome, so would be a bit boring as an ongoing venture.

Ignore me though. I'd be tempted to pop into a Muk world out of nostalgia but I can't see myself spending much time there.

Yeah, I spent a few nights building out the rail lines to the stadium, and Isengard, and I think the memorial island, but unfortunately there was very little time between the server being made more robust and boosters being 'fixed' :(

• 6 months later...

Are there any Rllmuk servers going still? Or does anyone know of a good friendly survival server? I'd love to dive into this again on the PC, but I'd rather play on a server with some life and friendly energy than on my own. 

Edit: No worries, I've found a server that seems really nice. Friendly people with a seemingly bulletproof grief prevention system. 

They are looking for more players, so please let me know if you want to join. 

I stumbled upon this last night, I don't even know what made me click play and start watching it but it actually ended up being far more entertaining than I could've hoped for. Before I knew it 5 hours had passed and it was 03:30 am. 

Basically it's about a couple of friends that has heard rumours about a Minecraft server that has been up and running since 2010, a server with no rules (total anarchy, hacks allowed). They just wanted to check it out and see what had been built in such a long time. Little did they know that the veterans on the server didn't like visitors, so they got hunted immediately. 

This first video went viral, and suddenly thousands of new players wanted to join and before long a massive war breaks out, veterans vs noobs. 

Highly entertaining and a great study on how established communities can easily break apart based on a little change in their daily routines. 

This is easily the best survial series I've seen since the unscripted Frankie days. 

I'm enjoying this series (much more slowly than you though!). I haven't watched any Minecraft videos since the early Yogscasts hit the big time, and I haven't played Minecraft in about as long either, so it's been entertaining. It's good to see how the game has evolved since then, like running out of food on an established survival server being a big problem when the landscape has been stripped bare, and all this magic spell stuff looks cool.

Good stuff, I'm gonna carry on watching to see how it ends.

Yep thanks for the heads up been enjoying this too. Love seeing the big hidden builds people create, always wonder if they build by hand or with cheats cos some of the builds are epic. Like all the sneaking around and metagame of the factions too, good fun even if the main guy can get a bit grating and watching crafting and farming gets a bit old on the whole its highly entertaining.

A lot of the builds have been made manually within the survival aspects of the game (there are videos out there uploaded by the original creators, years ago), but there are some builds that have been hacked/glitched into the server using back doors and what not (I don't fully understand how it actually works). 

I'm nearly done watching all the episodes now, and I'm still being surprised for each episode I'm watching, there's so much history on this server it's insane. 

This series piqued my interest in such a manner that I went on to try an log on to the server, but it's always full and you have to wait for hours to get in so it doesn't seem like I'll be exploring the place just yet. 

Hmm can't think of much swearing, there's a few signs that quickly get looked at for a split second that have swears, and there's one base that has some nazi symbols and a big sig heil written. I really can't remember swearing, maybe one or two but I'm up to ep 20 already. I assume he deliberately keeps it swear free as he knows kids love minecraft vids!

The worst swearing is in the chat that's sometimes visible and it's pretty bad (deliberate stuff spammed by people who know he's recording) and some of the troll spam might raise, er, questions from younger kids if they manage to read it. On the plus side I don't think it's readable on mobile.

The actual commentary isn't a problem - I think "holy crap dude!" is as bad as it gets.

I'm not up to the Nazi castle yet though! Need to keep watching.

5 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

How much swearing is in them? I've given them a decent trawel and not come across any yet, and wanted to introduce my son to them who loves Minecraft. 

If he can read, I'd be a bit cautious, as some of the chat is beyond not safe for children. If he can't read, he's safe!

I decided to pick this back up for the first time in years thanks to this thread, it's still as compelling as ever, lost a good few hours to it.

Found a nice area with lava, water, wildlife and stunning scenery and erected myself a tiny house on a floating island. Struggled to find any wool for a bed, but did find llamas (they're new!).

After exploring and lighting up every cave with no iron to be found, I decided to wall myself into a cave and just dig down, and christ the awful noises from nearby. Dug through the wall and it's witches (also new, had to Google), who appear to be immune to lava and took me down to half a heart with poison. Walled them back up, fuck that, the sound design in this game is evil.

I'm back playing Minecraft as well. I asked in the Steam thread for some good survival games and got a bunch of recommendations but after I'd tried a handful of them all I could think about was Minecraft. 

Hadn't played it for a couple of years, so I was a bit blown away by all the new stuff. I still haven't got my head around all the new redstone possibilities, and enchanting seems to be extremely complicated at the moment. 
While Minecraft is fine as a solo game, it's when you play with a bunch of like minded that the game really shines. Some of my fondest memories in MC are back in the original Mukville, that was great fun and I'd love to be part of something like it again. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is out on the Switch now.

I've not played it in years. Is this weird crafting interface unique to consoles or does the PC version use it too?

Split screen play on the Switch is fantastic, my son and I have been having a great time together. The online seems fairly intuitive, a friend of mine was able to join, although not sure how I feel about it not requiring an invite, does anyone know if that's an option?

It's the first game I've played on the Switch which has made me truly regret the lack of voice chat, trying to cooperate with an online player is difficult without it.

Can people just join you on Switch then? I've never played online with anyone else. Would love a place that was persistently online where I could just look at things other people have built.

On 03/06/2016 at 09:42, SqueakyG said:

I know it shouldn't matter in the slightest, but my opinion of Minecraft will now always be slightly affected by how Notch had a misogynist gamergate meltdown. I wouldn't be able to get the image out of my head of Notch sat all alone in his massive mansion, getting angrier and angrier about the SJW conspiracy to destroy men.

Haven't played Minecraft in over a year, mind you.

As it turns out, it was actually great that he sold it to Microsoft. Even they're not that horrible.

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

Can people just join you on Switch then? I've never played online with anyone else. Would love a place that was persistently online where I could just look at things other people have built.

I've not fully examined the options, but when you start the game you get a choice of playing online or offline. With the default settings, if you're online, then anyone on your friend list can see your world and can join your game without requiring an invite. Which is nice in one way, slightly unnerving in another.

7 hours ago, revlob said:

This is out on the Switch now.

I've not played it in years. Is this weird crafting interface unique to consoles or does the PC version use it too?

Split screen play on the Switch is fantastic, my son and I have been having a great time together. The online seems fairly intuitive, a friend of mine was able to join, although not sure how I feel about it not requiring an invite, does anyone know if that's an option?

It's the first game I've played on the Switch which has made me truly regret the lack of voice chat, trying to cooperate with an online player is difficult without it.

14-05-2017_17-53-37.thumb.png.a5e5395124db5ae936e7475c709abeda.png

play game/ savefile/ more options

I think I'm a survival guy. It reminds me of Roller Coaster Tycoon actually - I love creating within the world, but I get the most satisfaction from starting with nothing and working my way up. Having restrictions (lack of money, or resources in the case of Minecraft) brings out the creativity in me ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I think I've asked this but my kids are good enough to play on their own via the pocket version on their Kindle tablets now. I've got the XB1 and Win 10 version of Minecraft, what's the best way to play together? Have the kids sign in to Xbox live accounts and setup a private online game? Or can all these devices connect to a private server? I've got a Pi 3 sat idling.

Split-screen Xbox. You can't connect the Xbox version to a private server, and I believe it is the same with the tablet version.

That, or if you have enough Windows machines you could connect them to a server running on your Pi, and you could add some interesting mods then too.

EDIT: It seems you can now cross-play between the Windows 10 and Pocket versions if you subscribe to Minecraft Realms:

https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2461010

Hmm, cheers. Their pocket versions had some sort of network option, was hoping that meant Live connectivity. Looks like we have to pay, though. Shame the options are just 2 or 10 players and nothing in between.

Edit- ah, here we go:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/legacy-devices/windows-phone-8/minecraft-pocket-edition-on-mobile-devices-help

Pocket to pocket is ok on a local network, so there's that. I guess I could put the pocket version on my phone.