Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

54 Million Copies now.... add another 50% over the next two years (conservative)

81m copies.

revenue of $10 per copy = $270m

$2.5bn paid for....

(2.5bn - 270m) / 81m = $27 per copy sold needs to be recouped

$20 for year 1 DLC

$20 for year 2 DLC

Should about break even....;)

Incidentally I've just spent the last 2 hours building Lego with my niece and nephews. When did it turn into such fiddly, follow the instructions, restrictive to imagination and fragile, fall to bits if you try to play with it waste of money shite ?

Fuck Lego.

Haha, yeah I kinda agree with you. We recently got a couple of City Lego sets which are full of custom pieces. The rescue helicopter has a cabin which I suppose could be used for other vehicles but it is clearly designed as a helicopter cabin. The fire engine is a bit better but still has plenty of custom bits.

I used to love space lego and had several "big box" sets when I was a kid and they seemed to compliment each other, allowing you to build all kinds of your own crazy cool space ships. It seems space lego has been replaced with Star Wars lego which is very depressing. I will certainly be getting my boys space Lego via ebay before picking up any of the branded crap. :P

In Boozy's defence, I do agree that many of the modern Lego sets I've bought for my own kids seem quite restrictive due to the branding theme and the number of custom parts they've introduced in order to make the models work. For example, you get a Batman (or whatever) set and it's a cool-looking car. The reason the car looks cool is that 20% of the parts are custom-model pieces in order to create the flowing lines of that particular vehicle. While you can use those pieces in other creations, you tend to have to use them in a similar way to the original Batman set just because of their shape and size.

I'm not saying you can't make some good stuff out of the branded Lego sets, you can, but I don't personally find it as free-form as more generic Lego. I don't mind getting the occasional branded set for our kids, but I'll try to buy the generic sets as much as possible.

On nicky's server:

I want a nether star or three. I want to use one to make a CNC machine (Mad Science) so that I can manufacture a M41A pulse rifle (Mad Science). The only way to legitimately get the nether stars in survival is to kill the wither boss (vanilla). You must summon the boss and that requires three wither skeleton skulls (and four soul sand, but that's easy to obtain).

I hanged out in the Nether for a while. Wither skeletons very rarely spawn in Nether fortresses and nowhere else. They're pretty harmful even to a genetically engineered citizen with decent armour. I killed the few wither skeletons that appeared but they didn't drop any skulls. I looked up the probability of a wither skeleton dropping a skull - it's 1 in 40. 1 in 40!

I read that skeleton spawners (eggs or normal spawners) have an 80% chance of spawning a wither skeleton in the Nether instead of a normal skeleton. :sherlock:

I had already created a diamond pickaxe with Silk Touch so that I could get ice. I thought a pickaxe with Silk Touch wouldn't destroy a mob spawner. Long story short, Nicky created a system that (among other things) pumps mob essence from another dimension and uses it to automatically enchant books, which are in turn stored in bookcases or the ME drives (Applied Energistics). Now and again the Silk Touch enchantment appears on a book. But that's not how I got a Silk Touch book - it appeared in one of my fishtraps (Growthcraft) after Nicky built the system. A pickaxe with Silk Touch does destroy mob spawners.

I had read somewhere about the Spawner Wrench (Buildcraft tools) - this allows you to pick up one spawner at a time and place it where you like. It's like a reusable safari net for spawners. I made one of those and a charging bench to charge it. I knew it worked because I had moved a blaze spawner from the Nether near to the Advanced Genetics lab for convenience. By this point Nicky had created a portal to the Deep Dark, so we had an adventure in there and cleared a castle. There were several skeleton spawners in there - I picked up one and returned home.

I wanted to make an automated killing system because even with a mob spawner it would be tedious to manually kill ~120 wither skeletons. But I would have to be near the spawner for it to work - I would leave Minecraft running while I did something else.

So I made some cheap conveyor belts (MineFactory Reloaded), a vacuum hopper (OpenBlocks), some iron spikes (Extra Utilities) and picked up my ender chest (because I keep wandering around with a nearly full inventory). I went to the Nether fortress, excavated a suitable space and laid my conveyor belts so that the spawned skeletons would be inexorably dragged to their destruction and any drops would be sucked into the vacuum hopper and deposited in the chest. And it works! The skeletons and wither skeletons spawn, get dragged to the iron spikes and die, their drops are sucked into the hopper and moved to the chest. I now have four wither skeleton skulls after about an hour of leaving Minecraft open. And some other bits (e.g. four stacks of bones).

God knows how you would do it in vanilla.

you could have done it using the soul shards mod that is installed, absorbed 3-4 skelly spawners into a reusable cage, then used open block fans into a grinder/ or even a computercraft turtle with a sword, and a pipe system, what i love is how theres so many different ways to do this.

we do need a wither spawning system though, so good start.

we could even tap some of the power from Norweb Reactor bank to power a modular forcefield system to make a cage to summon the wither in.

So I finally started playing this – have had a shrink-wrapped 360 copy on my shelf for well over a year. A friend and I played co-op and he walked me through the game and what you need to do, how and what to mine, we built our first respawn point, did a bit of spelunking, forged some weapons and... well... it's addictive as hell isn't it?

How is the iPad version? Any good? Can it sync up with the 360 version by any bizarre chance?

So I finally started playing this – have had a shrink-wrapped 360 copy on my shelf for well over a year. A friend and I played co-op and he walked me through the game and what you need to do, how and what to mine, we built our first respawn point, did a bit of spelunking, forged some weapons and... well... it's addictive as hell isn't it?

How is the iPad version? Any good? Can it sync up with the 360 version by any bizarre chance?

It can suck away hours of your life. It's a shame there's no easy way to work out how many hours you've sunk in like in your Steam library.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for some advise - this is the first time playing the game [Vita version],

I'm having real issues finding Iron Ore anywhere. I only have a few caves in my world. Had a good dig in them and just randomly diged is places in the game but nothing.

Aware that you need to mine it with a stone pickaxe or higher - but I not seen one of the mineral blocks.

Any advise? Its holding me back from progressing in the game.

Also, is there anyway to full screen / expand the map? Can only seem to view it in my hand and where I am in the world is located underneath the heart and amour icons - seems strange you can't expand it. Got massively lost and could not find my way back to my home - have now taken a note of where my house is located incase I get lost again.

Assume you can't add waypoints either? Just have to use the grid references?

Thanks

Looking for some advise - this is the first time playing the game [Vita version],

I'm having real issues finding Iron Ore anywhere. I only have a few caves in my world. Had a good dig in them and just randomly diged is places in the game but nothing.

I just started digging in my new world and found coal, iron and gold pretty close to my home. Just dig deeper.