Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

I do get that 2 billion is a fuckton of money. However, I find it sad that Notch is willing to give up his baby when it's generating so much cash for him already and will continue to do so for many many years. He can already do what he wants creatively. Start up new studios, take new risks, go in different directions for Minecraft etc. Why give that up when you can do something far far more powerful. Grow your product and maintain stewardship over it.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get labeled crackers.

The only thing more powerful than $2 billion, is more than $2 billion.

Reports today say he'll likely leave once it's sold.

I wonder who Bloomberg's source for that was? Let's see...

The deal came together after Mojang founder Markus Persson reached out to Microsoft a few months ago, based on a positive working relationship on Minecraft for Xbox, said the person familiar with Microsoft.

The two companies quickly agreed on a framework and approximate price and have been working out the details since, the person said. Persson will help out with the transition, though he is unlikely to remain beyond that, according to the person.
Xbox chief Phil Spencer has a close relationship with Persson, and has flown out to have dinners with the Mojang founder, another person familiar with Microsoft said.

This is definitely happening I guess. Can't argue with confirmation like that.

I wonder who Bloomberg's source for that was? Let's see...

This is definitely happening I guess. Can't argue with confirmation like that.

The Wall Street Journal do tonnes of leaks like this (especially with Apple stuff) and they're generally all right. They reported Amazon buying Twitch first (after Variety got it wrong and said Google).

Well played Notch, the chance of him making $2 Billion profit off the game directly is slim and would take ages to do, cash out now and go do something else. Makes the Rare purchase look like chump change now and will likely end up like every single other stupidly expensive purchase for Microsoft, not a good use of shareholder capital. The business acumen of the current executive team seems about as good as all the people who left previously. They really do have too much money and not much of a clue on how to use it usefully.

anyone able to try this for me

http://ennare.playat.ch:8123/

mouse over the right hand of the window, and set the world view to overworld (i need to work on which of those to show and hide) not sure how yet

Flat does work fine but on 3D view it's not loading the whole map. Not sure if it's just slow but it's only showing some pieces.

you should probably also disable the cave map :)

if anyone wants to look into Dynmap and config options to find out how the fuck it works, i'd appreciate the help. ideally, want to disable the generation of all dimensions other than overworld, nether and twilight forest, and remove cave view on all of them.

How can I hide a world from being listed?

Open 'plugins/dynmap/worlds.txt' and add/change the world-section for the world you want to hide. Add the value 'enabled: false' to that world-section, so that you get something like the following:

worlds:
- name: world
title: "My Awesome World"
- name: nether
title: "My Awesome Nether"
enabled: false
- name: skylands
title: "My Awesome Skylands"
enabled: false

from: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/dynmap/pages/faq/

also:

How can I remove the cave map?

Copy the appropriate template file to make a custom one. For example, copy 'plugins/dynmap/templates/normal-vlowres.txt' to 'plugins/dynmap/templates/custom-normal-vlowres.txt'. Open the copied file and remove the following section:

- class: org.dynmap.hdmap.HDMap
name: cave
title: "Cave"
prefix: ct
perspective: iso_SE_60_lowres
shader: cave
lighting: default
mapzoomin: 3
Edited by reani_

Trying to look at this potential deal from the perspective of a Microsoft executive....

Minecraft has sold, and continues to sell, very well across a number of platforms with its roots on Windows PC. It has gained huge popularity with very young gamers (as Cyhwuhx notes) - 5 year old kids at my own son's school are also completely nuts for Minecraft and I'd suggest that it has replaced Lego as the creative toy of their generation.

Minecraft Realms "takes Minecraft to the Cloud" (please, bear with me), and gives Microsoft an opportunity to buy a pre-built "killer app" for their PC, mobile, and home console products, which has the added advantage of running its server-side code on MS Windows (Azure Cloud services). This allows Microsoft to change the way that Minecraft is sold, quite easily providing "Minecraft as a Service" (you heard it here first, folks), potentially with the basic game being bundled with XBox Live. They may also see it as a potential trojan horse to woo customers over from competing platforms (such as Sony, Mac) because it will "be a better experience on Windows devices" due to its integration across platforms and with the MS Cloud service.

As for the future, I'd hope they don't try to produce "Minecraft 2", as that would be like making "Lego 2". But it depends how much clue the person has who's leading inside MS.

It seems like a pretty good idea for MS, but I'm not sure it's $2bn of good idea. Saying that, look back over recent years. They paid $7.2bn for Nokia. They paid $1.2bn for Yammer. They paid $8.5bn for Skype. They paid $6.3bn for a digital marketing firm. And paid $1.3bn ($1.8bn adjusted for inflation against CPI to 2014) for Visio back in 2000.

A Minecraft 2 without a dedicated and robust modding API from the start would be dead in the water for vast parts of the Minecraft community on PC. I don't think it needs it. The only thing it needs is a multicore rewrite, to become systems complete, and for all content by mojang to be creates using the same api's as available to the modders. Have core updates yearly so mods and mojang can remain on parity, encourage more user generated content for less work and rewrites every couple of months. Also allow purchasing of mods on a marketplace so authors can make a wage like steam hats.