Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

I just fancied dabbling with a bit of PC MC again, for the first time since about version 1.5, but, can you tell me, is running a server locally in 1.8 horribly buggy at the moment? I seem to be getting nothing but crashing after about 5 minutes of uptime.

I've not played Minecraft for a few years, but my son (now 5) has been talking about it, so I installed on an old computer for him to play in his room.

While poking around, I came across Feed the Beast, and subsequently the DireWolf20 Let's Play series and associated modpack (direwolf on FTB). So I installed FTB, and fired up the DireWolf pack. Well... that was it... about 3 days and 15 hours of Minecrafting later, I can firmly state that modding in Minecraft has matured to become mainstream.

First of all, I recommend watching the DireWolf Season 6 Let's Play:

Also download Feed the Beast modlauncher which will automatically install the DireWolf pack when it is selected: http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

Great stuff.

I've seen some of these videos where they use HDR style lighting and realistic water etc, what mods are those? I'm completely new to these mods, having only played Minecraft casually a couple of times since the beta.

Also, is it possible to turn off item selection using scroll wheel, as it's mighty annoying on Mac with a magic mouse.

I'd like a bit more atmopsheric lighting and stuff, so I guess I'll have to investigate a bit to see what's available and where. I don't expect any performance miracles from my Mac (it's an i7 but per usual Apple standards the GPU is rather weak), but my PC should be able to squeeze better graphics out considering I can run pretty heavy mods on Skyrim and the like.

I've been watching some of those 'top 5 themed builds' and 'insane Minecraft creations' last night, it's amazing what some people do.

I've been playing this over the weekend with my son and I'm wondering what the actual point of the game is. We've done a bit of mining and crafting and built a house, and we've been for a few adventures around the place, but there isn't anything going on. So, is that it? I can see him losing interest pretty quickly if we've already done everything there is to do.

I've been playing this over the weekend with my son and I'm wondering what the actual point of the game is. We've done a bit of mining and crafting and built a house, and we've been for a few adventures around the place, but there isn't anything going on. So, is that it? I can see him losing interest pretty quickly if we've already done everything there is to do.

its like lego its about having imagination and building stuff

or imagination and mining out huge areas, building stuff for sake of it.

The only other traditional type of gaming is to try and find a stronghold and nether fortress and you can also try and reach "the end".