IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

Well I headed North (or maybe its south actually lol) , found hill top with a gorgeous view (good seed weeks) and built my first tower. Still not far enough as I see buildings springing up within visual range already so will venture further for tower no 2. Trying not to go too far to be kind to the server. Any maximum ranges been agreed?

My first night was eariei, each hilltop around me had several Ender men doing ... their thing, spooky.

I found a huge cavern nearby , which led to a tunnel system , then several massive chasms, really amazing, also found a Skeleton spawner in there as well :)

It seems much harder to die as I survived it all, collected about 70 iron, some diamonds and gold and made it out alive!

Really good fun :)

Seriously guys, Mukville is a shared effort. If you allow a creeper to blow something up then fix it! :angry:

Seeing as no-one is owning up to blowing up the fountain it looks like I'm gonna have to fix it.

Suffice to say I would be on the server with everyone right now if I could fucking log in in the first place.

INDEED!!! Most frustrating. Do they have a log in cap or something? GRRAAAGGGHH...

Who else is worth following on Twitter who does the MC dev? Notch has been quiet for a while...

Having serious trouble finding coal and iron.

Also, please be careful, as it looks like someone has been mining under my house!

Surely if someone has mined their first your house should be careful of their mine!

It's a crazy free for all with random houses popping up! ORDER, ORDER! :P

Surely if someone has mined their first your house should be careful of their mine!

It's a crazy free for all with random houses popping up! ORDER, ORDER! :P

Heh, no, my house was there first. It was perfectly understandable though - exploring the cave system I saw that this person had come in from a long way away. I was just posting in here as a kindly deterrent.

Really can't find any coal or iron so my progress has just dead-ended. :(

What does it mean if there's a certain area you can't build in? I've found a nice spot but don't seem to be able place/remove any blocks there, but I can elsewhere.

That's usually the spawn point...

I'm pretty arsed off - still can't log in!

(hang on, can play via browser, not the exe. Whhhattt?)

What does it mean if there's a certain area you can't build in? I've found a nice spot but don't seem to be able place/remove any blocks there, but I can elsewhere.

Is it close to the spawn? I don't think you can add / remove blocks within a certain radius (I think this attects the entire height of the area too, as there's a cave in my mine where torches just disappear when placed. It's either beneath the spawn, or haunted. :unsure:).

So it appears there's just a few people building whatever they want?

No flattened area for a proper town centre or buildings around it at the moment.

Are people just happy to keep adding piecemeal houses instead of doing something that would actually look really cool - because right now there's no city building at all.

I think we needed to establish some sort of base-town before building a structured town centre, just as a means to have a safe haven while gathering resources for the project - when I first logged on (within a few minutes of it being live), night fell immediately, so there was a scramble for survival which dictated the building of some dwellings not too far from the spawn. After that, I think people just wanted to add some home comforts. It has probably gone beyond this to some extent though, as there's castles and lairs atop nearly every mountain in sight. :)

Maybe, now we have a safe(ish) place to work from, we do some surveying of suitable locations for a planned town centre and rail hub?

I think we needed to establish some sort of base-town before building a structured town centre, just as a means to have a safe haven while gathering resources for the project - when I first logged on (within a few minutes of it being live), night fell immediately, so there was a scramble for survival which dictated the building of some dwellings not too far from the spawn. After that, I think people just wanted to add some home comforts. It has probably gone beyond this to some extent though, as there's castles and lairs atop nearly every mountain in sight. :)

Maybe, now we have a safe(ish) place to work from, we do some surveying of suitable locations for a planned town centre and rail hub?

This makes sense, it's exactly what happened to me when I first logged on. Now that I have some tools I'm ready to build!

Same here - it's a nice idea to all build in one area but it's every man for himself when the sun goes down after 10 minutes of spawning for the first time.

I've got a multi-floor-worry-tower which I sit in while zombies circle the base. I feel quite established there now with weapons and materials so when everyone else is ready i'm happy to start the plans for a real town.

Does this map have mapping on it? We could find a nice flat area that way.