Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

My base-jump tower is open to anyone who wants a go. It's not completed yet, but it's functional - drop from the top of the tower to the bedrock. If you're careful, you'll land in the plunge-pool. If not...

There's a minecart ride back to the surface. :)

I died :(

Fun though!

I died, then tried it again and did not die. Very fun. Didn't realise it was unfinished!

So, I haven't been on the server in months. Did anyone find my golden apple yet?

I didn't think it was possible to find/make a red apple, never mind a golden one.

There was one in a dungeon I came across around the time the first mukville buildings were being built. I placed it in a chest and told no-one until now.

I figured since the server will be reset soon I might aswell tell you guys.

And just so that I can check it's still there, could I be added to the whitelist please? I haven't been on since long before the whitelist was even necessary.

Wow. According to the wiki, there is a 0.8% chance of a golden apple spawning in a chest. The only other way to get one is to happen to be on a server at the same time as notch, kill him to get his drop. Then you have a red apple, which must be combined with 9 gold blocks (or 72 ingots) to make a golden apple.

Does anyone know how I can stop a mob from despawning? I have a couple of saddles and it would be a nice to have a permasaddled pig on the last backup. I've haven't used it yet because, you know, afaik it would be a one use thing, and I can't bring myself to do it.

If we're going to do a full wipe, do people want to plan out the centre of town properly before we even get there?

The one thing that the server needs is a proper welcome point for when people spawn in. The current spawn in Mukville is horrifyingly confusing to get out of for new players, so a welcome room with beds and chests with useful items for new players and directions to points of interest and stuff would be awesome.

I was thinking that we should also plan a railway track from the centre so that we don't end up with this ridiculously long train track that takes 10 minutes to get from one end to the other. If we set it out so that it goes out in 4 directions to N, S, W and E then we could make a map in the central station out of redstone and signs so you know exactly which rail goes where. It would be awesome.

I think we should definitely do the above two, but we could plan a hell of a lot of stuff before we go. How we want the town to be laid out, for example, which buildings will be where and which bits we will leave for people to build houses. Hell, we could even have street names and stuff. We could also put up a simple square grid, with each square a set number of blocks in minecraft (like 50 x 50 or something), and people could fill in where they would like to be before the restart and then where they actually end up after it. It would mean we could connect everywhere up as quickly as possible, and also have an idea of where is safe for people to build in big areas without stretching out the server so much that we get the kind of lag issues that we did.

I also think we should make the railway the most obvious and prominent thing in the town. You could do a bunch of stuff with that. I was thinking of having a giant red woollend subway sign on the top. Which is why if it's possible I'd like to take some stuff with us when we go (some railway, boosters, pistons, tnt and other things that will be useful at the start that aren't easy to come by), just so we can build the new centre of town as quickly and awesomely as possible.

Anyway, they're some random things I think would be cool to do. Stuff in minecraft is always way more impressive if you plan it out first. Even if we only had like 5 - 10 people doing it I reckon we could get a lot done in a short space of time. It all depends if anyone else is up for it of course. And if anyone has any other ideas of stuff we could do together at the start let's hear them!

If we're going to restart, then we have to make the new Mukville better than the old Mukville!

I agree on giving some plan to New Mukville, it'll go a lot smoother and look a lot better, I know when I started I didn't know what the hell to do or where to go.

We could even have building regulations, hear me out, we could only use brick or sandstone to build houses in some places, it'd look pretty cool, like a mini suburb.

Or we could build New Mukville away from the original spawn point so new comers can get the full Minecraft experience when they first join the server.

We could even have building regulations, hear me out, we could only use brick or sandstone to build houses in some places, it'd look pretty cool, like a mini suburb.

See, that sounds awesome. Turn Mukville in to the gaming Jerusalem.

Or we could build New Mukville away from the original spawn point so new comers can get the full Minecraft experience when they first join the server.

That's evil!

I like it. You could spawn in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a trail of lights leading onwards in to the darkness.

See, that sounds awesome. Turn Mukville in to the gaming Jerusalem.

That's evil!

I like it. You could spawn in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a trail of lights leading onwards in to the darkness.

I love this idea.

You start out in the wilderness with nothing but a wooden pick to your name. And hope. Hope for a better future on the horizon.

As I am incredibly bored, I've made a very (very) rough mock up of what New Mukville could be like (from above).

mukvillecentre.png

Something like this, maybe less uniform, but I do not possess the artistic ability to do something more extravagant. If someone else knows they can do better then please do!

I figured people could pitch in ideas for stuff that needs to be built, so I've left the central plots blank, and think up names for roads (I was going to put Main St and Muk Road on there, but we can come up with better). Once we've thought of everything, people can then pick a colour and start claiming which plots they want. I made them 5 x 5 because I figure people won't need more than 20 x 20 to build something that they want with room for a nice garden, and that if people want to build smaller structures they can split them up with other people and build whatever sidestreets, fences or random statues, structures and fountains that they want.

I love this idea.

You start out in the wilderness with nothing but a wooden pick to your name. And hope. Hope for a better future on the horizon.

I prefer the idea of a covered obsidian maze surrounding the spawn. Only the fittest will survive to enjoy the fruits of the new Mukville!

I prefer the idea of a covered obsidian maze surrounding the spawn. Only the fittest will survive to enjoy the fruits of the new Mukville!

With a mob spawner (absent grinder) to continually pour monsters into the maze.

While I like the idea of a central hub around the spawn, I'm not keen on everything being too structured. I've been on some SMP servers where there are just arrow-straight roads going on for miles with endless structures alongside, or Manhattan-like grid layouts, and they get incredibly tedious to explore. I feel some element of randomness is needed to make it feel more organic and interesting.

While I like the idea of a central hub around the spawn, I'm not keen on everything being too structured. I've been on some SMP servers where there are just arrow-straight roads going on for miles with endless structures alongside, or Manhattan-like grid layouts, and they get incredibly tedious to explore. I feel some element of randomness is needed to make it feel more organic and interesting.

I don't mean anything like that!

Just the very centre of town having a grid layout, so we can get it built fast. And not even a strict one at that. It makes sense to me to know where the rail station, an inn, a bank and a nether portal are going to be built, and that they will be close together. The roads and that above are just placeholders to give it shape. Once we have that sorted out people can go off in whichever direction they please, build what they want and then link it all up in as chaotic a fashion as possible. We aren't about to start handing out building permits.

I don't mean anything like that!

Just the very centre of town having a grid layout, so we can get it built fast. And not even a strict one at that. It makes sense to me to know where the rail station, an inn, a bank and a nether portal are going to be built, and that they will be close together. The roads and that above are just placeholders to give it shape. Once we have that sorted out people can go off in whichever direction they please, build what they want and then link it all up in as chaotic a fashion as possible. We aren't about to start handing out building permits.

No probs then. :)

I do like the idea of a highly visible sign denoting the spawn / central railway station.

Oh ho, what's this? I pop my head into the Minecraft thread for the first time in ages and I see there's talk of a server wipe? What timing. I never got around to playing on the otaku.co.uk server, but I'd very much like to be included if we're starting afresh.

EDIT: Could I get whitelisted? My username is revlob.

if there's going to be a railway, build it well the fuck away from people's houses/structures - or maybe even underground. the current one that runs along the outside my gaf looks fucking awful and has ruined the resale value.

oh, and we need to put a halt on tbb building more fast food franchises.

if there's going to be a railway, build it well the fuck away from people's houses/structures - or maybe even underground. the current one that runs along the outside my gaf looks fucking awful and has ruined the resale value.

How do you mean?

I'm assuming that apart from the central station, everyone will build their railway stops wherever they want and however they want. I suppose it does make some sense to build the central railway station slightly underground though. That way it won't interfere with anything people want to build and if people want they can raise it overground as it leaves New Mukville and heads in to the country with all these new fangled valleys and rivers and that.

I'm going to go Egyptian style for my new digs and build my railway station in the middle of a giant pyramid.

I agree with TGP that there should be some sort of order to the centre of the new mukville, and having some sort of road system in place before we all go crazy and start building would make it much easier to get around. An overground railway in town would be an obstacle, we'd have to start building bridges over it and so on which isn't really what you want. Underground it is, though they should probably change to an overground once they get out of town, because they're easier to build. I think there should be some sort of settlement at the spawn point, with beds and helpful signs and so on, but I agree it would be more interesting if it was separate from town.

It might be fun if some of the resource collecting is made to be more communal. Say instead of everyone building their own mob trap, we just build one massive one together. Maybe we could set up allotments that anyone can harvest so long as they re-seed everything. Also it would be nice if the buildings in town were less separate, so, for example, it would be possible to have a row of terraced houses with balconies and shit, all built by different people to coexist peacefully (and probably clash horrifically but oh well).

Having said all that, I think the first thing I'm going to do when I get on the server is find a nice spot and dig. Once town is getting started let me know, and I'll be sure to help out and attempt to reserve a spot.

I agree with TGP that there should be some sort of order to the centre of the new mukville, and having some sort of road system in place before we all go crazy and start building would make it much easier to get around. An overground railway in town would be an obstacle, we'd have to start building bridges over it and so on which isn't really what you want. Underground it is, though they should probably change to an overground once they get out of town, because they're easier to build.

Underground station in town, but it's nice to see vistas when you're travelling by railway.

I think there should be some sort of settlement at the spawn point, with beds and helpful signs and so on, but I agree it would be more interesting if it was separate from town.

Perhaps just a hut with a bed?

It might be fun if some of the resource collecting is made to be more communal. Say instead of everyone building their own mob trap, we just build one massive one together.

I'd be more than happy to collaborate on this.

I'd like to jump on this again - didn't do a lot on the last server, but did a fair bit with Joyrex - mainly the roads. I found the new one too confusing in honesty.

Some planning beforehand would be very welcome. I like the ideas mentioned above, and quite like the idea of a large mine set away from the town with a rail link sending back supplies to the town centre.