IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

pro-tip: don't lark about in the Nether, high above an ocean of lava, while the server is a bit laggy - particularly if you're carrying precious things... :facepalm:

LOL.

I'm scared of the nether. ghasts sounds like broken cats

Wow Kinect enabled!! Ohhhh...stroking sheep?

Imagine if they got it so that YOU CAN DIG REALLY FAST AN ACCURATELY!!?!?!!!

Does Barnard still play on the server? I ask because I am extending my lake and there is an entrance to 'Barnard's Hole' in the way, and it would be remiss of me to fill it with water without asking him if that's ok first.

Can't say I've seen him about. The hole has been totally mined out anyway. Plus the water would just make an easy entrance to the hole :)

My two drowning traps have stopped working!

I was getting lots of bones and arrows up until a couple of days ago. I've not changed anything in them, it looks like skeletons have learnt how to swim - any ideas what might have happened?

My two drowning traps have stopped working!

I was getting lots of bones and arrows up until a couple of days ago. I've not changed anything in them, it looks like skeletons have learnt how to swim - any ideas what might have happened?

Are you certain they are spawning in your trap and nowhere else? I think there is a limit of 200 monsters.

Does Barnard still play on the server? I ask because I am extending my lake and there is an entrance to 'Barnard's Hole' in the way, and it would be remiss of me to fill it with water without asking him if that's ok first.

Go for it! Leave the sign though!

Go for it! Leave the sign though!

I have built a small entrance with a ladder leading down to it in the middle of the lake. Well, not really the middle, it's quite close to the edge, but you get my meaning.

Make sure not to accidentally break any of it though. For some reason mobs keep spawning under the water around it.

Well when I bought this ten days ago, I never thought I would be saying the following so soon:

I'm a little bored of this now, after the initial thrill of surviving, building a house, mining the useful materials, and generally getting settled and safe, I don't really know what to do next with this game.

I would love to build a big clever structure of sort, but it kinda feels a little defeatist being that it's just me who can go in it :mellow:

I think it could be a case of "only the boring get bored", and really I need to use my imagination to get more fun out of this, but I was wondering if anyone else here got the same feeling as me? I'm hoping I just played it too much in a short space of time and I can re-kindle my enthusiasm for it.

Well when I bought this ten days ago, I never thought I would be saying the following so soon:

I'm a little bored of this now, after the initial thrill of surviving, building a house, mining the useful materials, and generally getting settled and safe, I don't really know what to do next with this game.

I would love to build a big clever structure of sort, but it kinda feels a little defeatist being that it's just me who can go in it :mellow:

I think it could be a case of "only the boring get bored", and really I need to use my imagination to get more fun out of this, but I was wondering if anyone else here got the same feeling as me? I'm hoping I just played it too much in a short space of time and I can re-kindle my enthusiasm for it.

I haven't been playing single-player except for trying out redstone circuits and mods (the NOW Pack is worth a look, btw - although backup your minecraft folder first) for the same reason - that it seems more 'timesink' than 'game'.

It's quite lonely in single-player, but there's a definite sense of community in multiplayer, even if you don't actually see anyone else - just seeing people log in and out, or being able to chat with someone halfway across the map while you're exploring a cave, or building some mammoth structure makes a world of difference.

It's quite lonely in single-player, but there's a definite sense of community in multiplayer, even if you don't actually see anyone else - just seeing people log in and out, or being able to chat with someone halfway across the map while you're exploring a cave, or building some mammoth structure makes a world of difference.

Yes - this makes the game for me.

as i have said before in this thread, the mining bores the tits off of me - thank god you can make tools from wood/stone and fire from charcoal otherwise i would have binned it long ago. for me it's all about the construction - building my first properly designed structure was a delight, same with my first (working) mob trap. building massive towers or shonky-looking castles doesn't interest me, like LEGO, you work within the confines of the medium and make something full of awesome and for me that's single-level Frank Lloyd Wright style villas. if i get round to it, i'll build a Minecraft version of Falling Water.

... make something full of awesome and for me that's single-level Frank Lloyd Wright style villas. if i get round to it, i'll build a Minecraft version of Falling Water.

*steals idea*

It's still just a nice engine at the moment - it has no semblance of anything resembling gameplay yet - once you've built your first hidey-hole, you don't have to do anything else, nor is there anything within the game compelling you to or rewarding you for doing so.

In the meantime, it's pretty good as a manual labour simulator or an aspie musical toy :ph34r:

Just doubled the drowning rate in my trap. More drowning mobs = more spoils = more spawning mobs = even more spoils...

It's still just a nice engine at the moment - it has no semblance of anything resembling gameplay yet - once you've built your first hidey-hole, you don't have to do anything else, nor is there anything within the game compelling you to or rewarding you for doing so.

In the meantime, it's pretty good as a manual labour simulator or an aspie musical toy :ph34r:

Minecraft doesn't reward the players in the same way many other titles do. I think its one of the most apt modern examples of "what you get out of the game is directly proportionate to what you put into it".

It really isn't for those with no imagination.

*Or those without a slant for engineering, or for exploring, or for making the next wonder of the world, or for eventually mastering an incredibly complex transport network, or just for the satisfaction of cooperating with a bunch of random people from a games forum to make a tribute to a like minded individual who had sadly passed away.

Minecraft is for the people who would mine for hours in order to get the right materials merely to make an incredibly complex circuit to blow up a poor cow in some fucked up version of Mousetrap.

Minecraft is for those who find themselves shitting bricks having accidentally attacked their boat and realised, as it dissolved into parts miles away from safety, and as the sun goes down that they are wearing their only set of Diamond Armour and that forgetting the sword but bringing the fishing rod was a tactical error that may cause the destruction of their keyboard.

And its for everyone in-between.

Yup, the online bit is fun because you can dick about with other people, but the single player still Has No Gameplay.

Give me a 3D Rampart game with that engine, or a roguelike with random dungeons instead of just random cave systems (fuck yeah!), or a werewolf-in-the-village whodunit which makes use of the day/night cycle, or a shameless clone of Shadow of the Colossus or... anything! Imagine a proper multiplayer zombie survival game made with that engine, crafting essential survival materials and randomly generated towns and terrain - holy fuck! That's a total pipe dream, but any sort of quest would make it worth exploring the beautiful worlds Minecraft generates.

Those who find themselves shitting bricks about the pointless armour it took them hours to mine materials for can dig a 3 block deep hole, jump in and fill it in until morning :hat:

It has gameplay at the moment, and I don't know who came up with it, but this "no objective - toy, objective - game" thing is the stupidest thing that I've heard.

If you want to run through dungeons killing monsters for phat lewtz, then there's literally dozens of games that do that, why can't you play one of those?