IGNORED

Minecraft - Caves and Cliffs Pt. 1 update out now

RubberJohnny

That castle entry was very cool. If you can have pistons push pistons like that you could set up a "walls or ceiling closing in" trap room.

The fact that they're de-facto floodgates is pretty cool too.

Agreed, that castle entry is great!

Make a good 'secret entrance' too.

Agreed, that castle entry is great!

Make a good 'secret entrance' too.

Then all you need is a Batmobile. :D

I wonder if you could create an autmatic mob-masher with constantly acting pistons and a water conveyor traking them to their doom...

Okay I'm currently in the process of reading through the whole thread (page 38), but I thought I would post some of my thoughts since buying it a week or so ago.

- Bought the game and tried to build a house rather than a cave on the first night. Died three times and eventually re-started and built a cave for my first night -_-

- After the first night, I did a spot of mining, found a scary looking cave, and got killed at night. I was lost for a bit at night trying to get home, had to swim out to see and spend the night there.

- As morning came I built a massive tower. I knew I wouldn't have the time or resources to build steps down, so I positioned my tower on the edge of the ocean so that once the 1 block tower was built I could jump to safety :wub:

- Built a small house next to my tower, did a bit of mining. Built a tunnel from my house to the mine in order for safe and easy access at night. I'm still mining this same mine today, have got lots of good materials since it opened up into a massive natural cave system.

- Next I built a second floor in my house, with a glass roof. I filled the second floor which chests and a couple of easy to get to staircases and doors to the outside.

- Next I built an observatory which joined on to my house, this was so I could safely view the terrain around me, and also acts as a good landmark.

- After more mining, I have yet to decide what I want to do next. My current house looks a little ugly to be honest, and the land around me is quite unkept, so I’m thinking I might re-do the whole area since I don’t want to move away from my primary mine or lug all my current resources around with me.

- Brilliant game, as a few people have said it's liking being in your own 8 year old imaginary world all over again. It's also very relaxing to play, I always have some ambient music on in the background. :wub:

Picture of my current setup, the bridge is blocking the view of some of the house.

post-5340-088029600 1308133726_thumb.jpg

Oh dear, now my brain is on fire with the piston news..

At the moment my base has three sections, - a land one with buildings and chests on the shore of a lake .

post-5095-003865500 1308133966_thumb.jpg

..and two underwater levels in the lake itself, all three fitted with my new stations.

Im still pissing about with the ghost train/ dungeon idea in the lower section, putting in lots of simple arrow dispenser > Pressure plate type traps for the masses of mobs on the ground level - I already have rows of arrow dispensers in the walls that are all linked a circuit that the Minecart triggers in passing (with an access corridor behind to reload ofc) and with the use of delays and note blocks could even play a tune.. hmm.. oops there we go again brain off on another tangent..

The upper underwater level was going to be a landscaped garden and farming area but I think dedicating the upper section (or at least half of it) to a sluce/ mob muncher would be brilliant.

@shiftcrack welcome to the real world ;) You have made brilliant progress in a week!

Some questions I have:

- I didn't want to do it, but the other nigth I switched the difficulty to 'Peaceful' in order to get some building work done. Now I can't bring myself to switch it back off... Is there any advantages to having mobs switched on apart from them dropping string/gunpowder/feathers?

- Do mobs exist deep down in the dark when on peaceful?

- How do you guys keep track of where you are when mining caves? I need some kind of breadcrumbs system and am thinking about using flowers.

I see they've taken out the 'launch things into the air' mechanic. Probably for the best.

When the piston gets built the inventory says its a "wooden piston" - maybe a piston made out of something else will launch things?

Some questions I have:

- I didn't want to do it, but the other nigth I switched the difficulty to 'Peaceful' in order to get some building work done. Now I can't bring myself to switch it back off... Is there any advantages to having mobs switched on apart from them dropping string/gunpowder/feathers?

- How do you guys keep track of where you are when mining caves? I need some kind of breadcrumbs system and am thinking about using flowers.

- Not really. Personal preference really. For me it really adds to the game, esp when cave exploring.

- No. peaceful switches them off entirely

- Either take some signs with you, or some planks and a workbench and build some as you go. Or leave piles of dirt/gravel as landmarks in ways that you'll recognise. I've made crude shapes arrows in the walls before when desperate.

- Not really. Personal preference really. For me it really adds to the game, esp when cave exploring.

- No. peaceful switches them off entirely

- Either take some signs with you, or some planks and a workbench and build some as you go. Or leave piles of dirt/gravel as landmarks in ways that you'll recognise. I've made crude shapes arrows in the walls before when desperate.

Cool, cheers Joyrex.

Signs seem like the most logical system and are nice and cheap also, I better get some wood (oo er).

You can build a bed like so:

Wool Wool Wool

Plank Plank Plank

That allows you to sleep and skip the night as long as it is an enclosed room, which would allow you to keep the monsters on but not disrupt your building.

Although I dislike fighting them, I feel on Peaceful the game loses something. Even though I don't particularly enjoy or partake in combat, I enjoy the feeling that I'm building forts for protection, instead of just structures in an empty world.

Also lighting up caves with torches is useful, since doing so prevents monsters from spawning there and allows you to start where you left off.

Some questions I have:

Peaceful setting: Player regains health over time. Hostile mobs do spawn, but are removed from the game instantaneously, except for wolves and slimes. Switching from any other difficulty setting to Peaceful results in existing hostile mobs except for wolves and slimes, being removed from the world.[1] Despite regaining health over time, it is still possible to die to falling damage, lava, cacti, suffocation, wolves, falling into the void and drowning.

From http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Peaceful

If it's a complex cave I'm in, I sometimes place proper stone steps on the route to the surface, so as long as I'm climbing up steps, I know I'm on my way out; climbing down, or no steps, and I'm going deeper / into unexplored areas.

Cheers for the info and thoughts, you're right, the tension and experience of the game does lack when on peaceful mode so I'm going to switch it back to normal pronto.

Using actual steps/paths is a good idea for mining, think I'll use this in combination with signs.

And thanks for the tips on mob spawn prevention, I have got a bed and decent lighting already but thanks for the heads up.

Am going to build a farm soon also, any tips?

I'm looking to have four main fields:

Livestock

Trees

Wheat

Flowers and mushrooms

How does one go about gaining livestock? Do I just have to catch what is already out there?

Am going to build a farm soon also, any tips?

I'm looking to have four main fields:

Livestock

Trees

Wheat

Flowers and mushrooms

How does one go about gaining livestock? Do I just have to catch what is already out there?

Livestock just spawns like other mobs. You can't catch or tame them.

Yeah, the best you can do for livestock is to have a fairly large, well-lit and fenced in area of grass.

I'm not sure flowers and mushrooms grow, I think you just pick and place them- check the wiki though. I think I may have seen something about mushrooms spreading very slowly.

Tree farms- just make sure there's plenty of light. I personally like planting them in alcoves to stop 'big' trees forming, but that does limit the area for leaf growth and thus sapling return.

Wheat- you need one block of water in the middle of a 9x9 wheat farm (i.e. each block with wheat on it needs to be within 4, direct or diagonal, of the water). However, you might want to do something more cunning to allow you to reap and sow without having to tread on the furrowed ground (although furrowing is very quick and a stone hoe will last more or less forever, so it's not that big a deal).

I'm not sure flowers and mushrooms grow, I think you just pick and place them- check the wiki though. I think I may have seen something about mushrooms spreading very slowly.

Mushrooms grow slowly since the last patch, so you can always plant some and just take off the edges of the plot. I think the brown ones are a lot more abundant in the Nether, which is a reason to go there.

Also remember you can use Bonemeal to fertilise saplings and make them fully-grown quickly!

Mushrooms grow slowly since the last patch, so you can always plant some and just take off the edges of the plot. I think the brown ones are a lot more abundant in the Nether, which is a reason to go there.

Also remember you can use Bonemeal to fertilise saplings and make them fully-grown quickly!

And bonemeal on grass to grow flowers and long grass.

Since the last update, mushrooms are by far the best food source. Have a dimly lit (but lit just enough so that mobs don't spawn) area and plonk down any mushrooms you find, 4-5 blocks apart from one another. Leave. Come back a while later and the floor is filled.