Minecraft - Better Together update now available

For those who still have any interest in Minecraft, I can thoroughly recommend the Feed the Beast Direwolf20 modpack and corresponding Let's Play video series. The video series is basically a comprehensive tutorial for using all the mods in the pack as he builds a world of increasing complexity using the available tools. The mods in the pack add a load of great enhancements such as technology, transport, magic, and nature. Really nicely balanced.

Get the modpack with the FTB launcher: http://feed-the-beast.com/launcher

Install the Direwolf20 modpack for 1.7.10 (I'm playing with 1.6.4 at the moment but have also used 1.7.10). The pack for 1.6.4 is a bit less resource hungry if you're on an older PC or on a laptop. I play 1.6.4 on a Macbook Air and it's fine.

Watch the Let's Play video series at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaiPn4ewcbkEC_hsSjPSqN8Mz3qWVC_MA

• 2 weeks later...

Minecraft is going great guns in our house, the kids have worked out how to play over lan and spend as much time as they can get away with on it - i still know nothing about the game!

The topic of mod packs has come up, the youngest is desperate to have the 'mo creatures' mod so i have been looking into it and i think i have just about grasped the process (after all i am an old pc gamer who used to play all sorts of mods on games!) but my last bit of confusion is around the game version.

I know i need the forge thing and to mum the mod files and launcher in the mods folder.

Mo creatures is v6.3.1 for forge 1.7.10

Sophie has minecraft 1.8.1 installed

Is this going to work, do i have to get a previous version of minecraft or downgrade the version she has on her mac?

Minecraft is going great guns in our house, the kids have worked out how to play over lan and spend as much time as they can get away with on it - i still know nothing about the game!

The topic of mod packs has come up, the youngest is desperate to have the 'mo creatures' mod so i have been looking into it and i think i have just about grasped the process (after all i am an old pc gamer who used to play all sorts of mods on games!) but my last bit of confusion is around the game version.

I know i need the forge thing and to mum the mod files and launcher in the mods folder.

Mo creatures is v6.3.1 for forge 1.7.10

Sophie has minecraft 1.8.1 installed

Is this going to work, do i have to get a previous version of minecraft or downgrade the version she has on her mac?

Minecraft Launcher allows you different run "profiles" so create a new one that runs version 1.7.10 (call it ModForge or similar). Run this once so it sets up the directory structure etc and downloads the 1.7.10 executable as we need that to "inject" forge into it. Basically you can run and maintain several versions of minecraft at any one time so her 1.8 install wont be affected. Note that the save directory is shared so if you have a save on a modded version then if you load it into a different version it will break stuff etc. I make each save name have a version/profile name in it so I know which version its for!

Then you should be able to find that in c:\users\(name)\appdata\roaming\.minecraft (thats windows 8.1)

In there you find the directory called versions and within that you should see a directory for your 1.7.10 exe and it will have an obvious name.

You need your 1.7.10 to have forge installed/injected into and that I havent done (only did 1.6.4) so hmmm try this guide

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Installation/Universal

That process rings a bell so should do the trick.

Finally in this same directory there is a folder called mods and you can put the zip or jar for the mod you want in that folder. When you next run your "forge" profile it should pick up the mod and apply it... click on mods on main menu to see what mods have loaded.

After its all done she should have two profiles to choose from 1.8 for vanilla and forge for mods.

Minecraft Launcher allows you different run "profiles" so create a new one that runs version 1.7.10 (call it ModForge or similar). Run this once so it sets up the directory structure etc and downloads the 1.7.10 executable as we need that to "inject" forge into it. Basically you can run and maintain several versions of minecraft at any one time so her 1.8 install wont be affected. Note that the save directory is shared so if you have a save on a modded version then if you load it into a different version it will break stuff etc. I make each save name have a version/profile name in it so I know which version its for!

Then you should be able to find that in c:\users\(name)\appdata\roaming\.minecraft (thats windows 8.1)

In there you find the directory called versions and within that you should see a directory for your 1.7.10 exe and it will have an obvious name.

You need your 1.7.10 to have forge installed/injected into and that I havent done (only did 1.6.4) so hmmm try this guide

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Installation/Universal

That process rings a bell so should do the trick.

Finally in this same directory there is a folder called mods and you can put the zip or jar for the mod you want in that folder. When you next run your "forge" profile it should pick up the mod and apply it... click on mods on main menu to see what mods have loaded.

After its all done she should have two profiles to choose from 1.8 for vanilla and forge for mods.

Cheers, i was mid way through 'i am going to install it all, whats the worst that can happen' when you replied so i have done as you say and its all up and running - thanks :)

I now have forge and default when you launch the game - i assume default is her 1.8.1? Having said that from the squeals each time she spawns a new anima i doubt she will ever launch the default one again!!

Cheers, i was mid way through 'i am going to install it all, whats the worst that can happen' when you replied so i have done as you say and its all up and running - thanks :)

I now have forge and default when you launch the game - i assume default is her 1.8.1? Having said that from the squeals each time she spawns a new anima i doubt she will ever launch the default one again!!

Yep default is the "latest" version it has generally. So when a new version hits it downloads and that profile uses the latest.

In fact if you edit the default profile you should see it says "use latest version"... I rename default to something more sensible.

Obviously just warn her that if she loads her save with lovely animals in default 1.8 minecraft they'll disappear ;)

Does anyone have any recommendations for easy build guides my friends 8yr old could follow (vanilla minecraft) please?

My kids have these books and love them http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minecraft-Official-Beginners-Stephanie-Milton/dp/1405268395/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421515740&sr=8-5&keywords=minecraft+books

They also spend as much time on youtube watching minecraft guides/shows!

I imagine the books are basic but they didn't really get on with looking at guides on the computer so they have been well read and seemed to have been useful to them both.

Yup, those books are excellent. Highly recommended.

Also, another vote for Stampylonghead (https://www.youtube.com/user/stampylonghead). His Let's Play Minecraft series is designed for kids. No bad language. Very kid-friendly content and characters/activities which appeal to younger minds. Our two kids watch more Stampy on YouTube than Netflix or "normal telly" combined.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, my kids are the same. My youngest watches so much Stampy that he has started commentating on his own games as he plays as if he is doing a let's play! Like, that's just what you do when you play Minecraft.

Hah, my 5-year-old was doing exactly this last night, complete with overly-chirpy Stampyesque speech. Pretty cute.

Anyways he had been trying this with a yarr'd version so now I wanna get him the proper one. Is there somewhere cheaper to get it on PC than £18 from Mojang? I see lots of eBay listings selling 'Premium Accounts' for a fiver but I don't know enough about the game to know if they're legit or not.

Hah, my 5-year-old was doing exactly this last night, complete with overly-chirpy Stampyesque speech. Pretty cute.

Anyways he had been trying this with a yarr'd version so now I wanna get him the proper one. Is there somewhere cheaper to get it on PC than £18 from Mojang? I see lots of eBay listings selling 'Premium Accounts' for a fiver but I don't know enough about the game to know if they're legit or not.

I don't think so. However, I've now bought Minecraft on: PC, PS4 (+Vita bundled), and PS3, but I can safely say that it's the best value entertainment I've ever paid for. Hundreds and hundreds of hours spent on it in our household.

Is "I don't think so" the answer to "Is there anywhere cheaper to buy it?", or to "Are the eBay listings legit?"

This is the type of thing I'm on about: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minecraft-Premium-Account-PC-Game-Life-time-Warranty-Satisfied-customers-/221650121425

Sorry, I meant that I don't think you'll pick it up cheaper anywhere else legitimately - unless someone is selling their Minecraft account. I'd suspect new accounts could possibly have been purchased using dodgy credit cards. To be honest, any advert which says they're going to mail me a .exe file which I should run sets my spidey-sense tingling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Discovered ScriptCraft.

That looks good fun.

Have you seen ComputerCraft (http://www.computercraft.info/)?

I'm in the process of setting up Raspberry Pi integration for my son: http://pi.minecraft.net/. Our plan is to build a house in Minecraft with a door that you open by pressing a button in the real world. This is basically a simple button on a breadboard connected to the rPi. We can then enhance this by hooking up a numeric keypad to the rPi so that you can enter a door code to get in.

Raspberry-Pi.jpg

Is it possible to do any of the basic programming loops and the like in the standard versions of Minecraft? Asking for my son who has seen the Pi integration that a friend of his is doing.

Obviously we aren't going to do anything with a Raspberry Pi right now, but just some simple things within the game itself (PS3/4/Vita). Any guides out there?

You can create some good stuff with Redstone and logic in vanilla Minecraft, but no programming or Pi integration (unless you're referring to Minecraft Pi Edition?).

This is where the PC version of Minecraft opens up a lot more options than the console versions. I'd suggest looking at one of the modpacks available through the Feed The Beast (FTB) launcher and maybe take a look at one of the Let's Play series to see what's possible. There are some posts on this in the previous couple of pages in this thread.

• 1 month later...

My kids have been watching loads of minecraft YouTube videos (stampy!) so I've finally bought the game.

Rough first few nights and my sense of direction is awful. Even with the coordinates and a map I can't find my house. So far I've built a home in the side of a mountain, mined for diamonds and planted some seeds. Definitely has that 'oh just a few more minutes' feeling to it.

Find myself browsing the wikis to see what I can make. Think i need to build myself a better house though :)

When you figure it out, connect the two houses (carefully) with underground tunnels or build a corridor above ground between them. will end up with you having multi biome access without ever putting yourself in danger.

Restarted again and found a village. Feels like cheating but I've moved in :) sorted the layout of the village and set up a farm.

For something that's made out of big blocks it really does take your breath away at times. Found a cave with a lavafall and it was so big you couldn't see the end of it.

Been up until 2am every night playing it. I'm thankful that my pc is so bad it won't run on it. The fact I need the TV restricts my play time :)

Is it possible to do any of the basic programming loops and the like in the standard versions of Minecraft? Asking for my son who has seen the Pi integration that a friend of his is doing.

Obviously we aren't going to do anything with a Raspberry Pi right now, but just some simple things within the game itself (PS3/4/Vita). Any guides out there?

You need this sir, an excellent little title with all kinds of projects:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Minecraft-David-Whale/dp/111894691X

It has everything you need, a great starting point for budding Minecraft developers ^_^

I only discovered this recently so apologies if it's common knowledge.

The Nether is on a ratio of 8:1 block wise to the over world. This means you can connect places using Nether Portals quite easily. What I now have is a Portal at my main storage base. Then if I find something like a village or bi-ome I like, I build a portal there but don't light it. I take a note of the first and last co-ords, divide them both by 8 and return to the portal at my main base. In the Nether I locate these new co-ords and build another portal and light it. If the numbers are right you should have new portals linked. You can then build a hub in the Nether and use the portals to move about the map.

The Scribblenauts texture (& music) pack is brilliant, so crisp and vibrant. Can't see my kids using anything else for a while. As a result I've got a cheap copy of Scribblenauts Unlimited (unlisted in-store at Argos, weird) tucked away as a surprise for them some day.

post-24630-0-19043900-1431080631_thumb.p

post-24630-0-86099600-1431080643_thumb.p

post-24630-0-58845000-1431080679_thumb.p

Restarted again and found a village. Feels like cheating but I've moved in :) sorted the layout of the village and set up a farm.

For something that's made out of big blocks it really does take your breath away at times. Found a cave with a lavafall and it was so big you couldn't see the end of it.

Been up until 2am every night playing it. I'm thankful that my pc is so bad it won't run on it. The fact I need the TV restricts my play time :)

Build this chicken farm and you'll have a constant source of food.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly on PS4. I have been trying out mob spawners. One from YouTube video, which I modified and a couple of my own design. One being a lot better than the other, so the two are identical now. The three are at the top of the map (the roof of the spawners is at Y=256). The area to fight the mobs is some 20 blocks lower, all three being accessed from a central tower containing a Spiral Staircase. Not sure how good they are (the video gave the impression that you would level pretty quickly... not convinced). I have a door into my design so that I can clear out some spiders.

I was a little surprised on the Leaderboard to see I had covered almost 1400km on that map!

I am on the large map and was a little surprised to have a village within a short walk of my base. I used a seed of Mass (used the Mass Effect Mash-up pack).

Usefully my Nether Portal (in my base) takes me directly into the fortress.