rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
df0

Town-building games

Is the best iPhone city builder SimCity Deluxe then or is there anything else?

The iPhone version of The Settlers is good, but, yeah, there's not a lot of choice.

I used to spend hours on Age of Empires II just building amazing strongholds and expanding as far as I could, the combat was ok but was never the main appeal for me.

The Age of Empires games are brilliant for base building.

I've never been a fan of C&C, Starcraft and Total War as I don't get on with the endless need to plan and go to war. Instead, I've always preferred to leave the war mongering to my friends playing in the same game, and just build a massive base that looks good.

If you just want to build a world and enjoy it, I would recommend the Age of Empires series, Sim City 2000 and Black & White 2.

I came in here to post Tropico 3. I also love these sort of games, eat entire weekends whole. Great, great game that.

Is this game any good on the 360. I love to kick back and chill out with these games on occasion but being only on a laptop now it is a slightly frustrating experience with compromise on either viewing medium (TV or laptop screen) or seating position. TV means chill on the couch, screen means laptop on table or lap surprisingly.

I was thinking of getting for the 360 but that just doesn't seem the right platform for these types of games. So anyone played both PC and 360 versions and can comment.

Is this game any good on the 360. I love to kick back and chill out with these games on occasion but being only on a laptop now it is a slightly frustrating experience with compromise on either viewing medium (TV or laptop screen) or seating position. TV means chill on the couch, screen means laptop on table or lap surprisingly.

I was thinking of getting for the 360 but that just doesn't seem the right platform for these types of games. So anyone played both PC and 360 versions and can comment.

The 360 controls were actually pretty good. After trying games like Red Alert 3 (with it's god awful controls) the ones in Tropico 3 seem a doddle.

The aim for all Anno settlements is to make them into huge cities eventually, so yeah.

If all else fails you could play the Wii version!

Dawn_of_Discovery_Wii.jpg

That's a shame. That Wii version makes my eyes hurt. Even on my crappy PC the Anno art style was lovely - the cutscenes and the sea effects in the game, really nice :)

In Tropico, do you get to fight stuff?

Wireless mouse and keyboard. VGA/DVI/HDMI out of laptop and into telly. Sorted. :)

In Tropico, do you get to fight stuff?

There's a little combat but it's pretty much hands-off. You need to maintain a standing army (even if it's just three soldiers at your palace) in case dissatisfied Tropicans become rebels, who hide out in the jungles and periodically raid your farms and mines and need to be seen off by soldiers. You can also suffer a general uprising where every single Tropican picks a side and fights for either El Presidente or the revolution, most of them just with rocks.

You can also be invaded by the US and possibly the Soviet Union, if you anger them enough. Though I'm pretty sure that's more or less game over. The only time I've seen this was when US gunships were circling my island and I made a quick deal with the Soviets to install a Russian military base on the island, which deterred invasion.

The only problem with Tropico 3 on the Xbox 360 is that it crashes constantly. I've never had a game crash so regularly for me. The fact I still played it (saving as often as I remembered) proves how good it is and I didn't miss the mouse controls at all. One of my favourite building games since Rollercoaster Tycoon.

It seems there is another bug on the xbox which they haven't fixed as of yet (?) where sandbox save games refuse to load up. Lots of threads about it on gamefaqs. Bit of a bugger as I only started playing it a few days ago.

Just picked up Anno 1404 for ten measly pounds on the PC via the Game.co.uk download service, which I never knew even existed!

Lucky I didn't fork out the 35 quid they want for it on Steam.

This! I mean WTF Steam? :angry:

Play.com here I come.

Ah, almost forgot. What about Caesar? Not sure when the latest one was but I seem to remember them being quite good for city style development. The later missions/cities did get pretty tough though.